Skip to main content
Topic: Loss of MB on highway. (Read 77 times) previous topic - next topic
Loss of MB on highway.
Yahoo Message Number: 108968
We are without a rig for a while.  In December, en route California for Christmas, about 5 miles West of Grand Junction, Colorado, without warning I came onto black ice.  There were no signs of it and it looked like dry road as the freeway had been looking for miles.   My first indication came when the rear end just slid off to the passenger's side.  I thought I had it under control after a slip to the driver's side, but then it just slid again to the passenger side.  When the wheels went off the pavement, the snow grabbed the coach, turned it around, and when it hit the ditch, it rolled.  An angel was riding with us, for neither of us nor the pets were injured.  Prayers for safety work!  After us, about six other cars slid off the highway but none I saw turned over.  Apparently we looked so bad that the state patrolman summoned an ambulance.  I was glad he did, but only because it gave us a warm place to answer questions and fill out forms refusing medical help until the tow truck arrived.
 We were flipped more than halfway over to the roof, and so were both securely held by seat belts hanging in air!  The firemen had to use two ladders to get to us and help us up and out.  Mostly all items were thrown into the coach and mixed up well with furniture cushions, etc.  The tow truck driver said it was the first time he had an RV rollover where the coach did not "peel" open.  After righting it and towing it to his yard, he was very interested in Lazy Daze.  The insurance company totaled the rig because the body structure slipped out of rectangular a little (maybe a half inch) and that could not be repaired.  I anxiously await their cost evaluation, after only 13 months of use.

Happy New Year and road safety to all

Gus Weber

Loss of MB on highway.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108970
Gus!
 What a terrifying story with a good ending...you all are safe. We hope you'll be on the road in a brand-new LD very soon.

Best wishes.

Tina and Bill Pratt LD 2967 NE LD 59 2006 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Re: Loss of MB on highway.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108971
Wow, what a scary experience.  We are glad that you and pets came out of it without injury.  This story reminds me of a couple here in Prescott who had their LD roll over (in fact the picture is on the wall at the Mothership).  They, too, were not injured and the LD held up well structurally, but had other problems.  Reinforces why we drive a LD!!!!!

Linda and John Leach Prescott, AZ

__

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108972
Gus,
 Great to hear you were able to walk away.  Ice is one thing I really hate driving on, and I have to do it on a regular basis in the winter.
I sure hope your insurance company takes care of you.

Thanks for sharing.

-Victor

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108974
Gus

So glad everyone is OK other than being shaken up a lot.
I'm sure you are glad the LD has the steel roll bars hidden inside the coach's frame
 Hate to ask this but did you get pictures or a video of the crash site You could become the new poster boy for LD.
 Now I know two couples that have survived rolling their LD and escaping unharmed

Stay safe.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108976
Gus, Hearing that you are safe makes up for the terrible loss you have suffered. You know the whole LD family is sorry you have to go through the turmoil associated with this accident, but glad you lived to tell about it. Keep well.
Ron and Mary Tribbett Dixon, CA

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108981
Glad you and your family came through OK, Gus--we'd really hate to lose you! Hope you won't be Lazy-Daze-less for too long. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108984
Hi Larry:
 Unfortunately, both the digital camera and the cell phone were inside the rig and so I have nothing from the crash site.  I do have pictures of the mixed-up inside once we were able to get at the camera.  We are so thankful for a strong rig and a guardian angel.

Gus

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 108986
"I anxiously await their cost evaluation, after only 13 months of use."

Through Progressive Insurance I have the " Zero deductible, Total loss replacement/Purchase price rider" for both Comprehensive & Collision on my '08. If it's totaled, I get back my entire purchase price, sales tax included.

Ed

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 108997
We are also so glad to hear you and your pets fared so well. Please tell us--were your pets restrained in any way, i.e., pet carrier, harness, etc? We travel with our dog and cat untethered in our motor home and I've often wondered....
This story makes us so grateful we have a Lazy Daze. Hope your new one arrives soon! Sandy

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109002
Sandy:
 Bad news first - it turns out the waiting time is still 3 - 4 months.
 The cat and dog (small Chinese crested) were untethered.  As soon as the motion stopped, the dog came up next to me and gave kisses.  I worried we might have lost the cat, for she didn't answer our calls.  As the firemen were helping me stand (on the driver's side window), I saw I had been atop a floor mat.  For whatever reason, I lifted it and there was the cat, unharmed!  So untethered pets didn't hurt this time, and it is a wonder considering all the cabinet contents that shot across the coach.  Worst was the contents of the cat box!

Thanks for your good feelings.

Gus

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 109003
To  the person with the surging gen.:  What you a seeing is the governor doing its job.  When a load is placed on it, the pressure is reduced allowing the factory set tension on a spring, to open the throttle.  When the load is reduced the opposite occurs.  I just purchased a 2000 FL which had a gen. with only 12 hrs. on it.  It had a surging problem   I changed the oil, filter, and spark plugs.  Then ran a carb. cleaner made by ONAN through it.   I also added Sta-Bil to the gas tank.  The biggest enemy of the gen. is inactivity.  Run it often under full load.  And concerning lubing those parts, in a word, don't do it.  It causes the linkage to gather dust and debris.
My surging cleared up after performing the above procedures.  I hope this helps someone, Darryll 2000FL Blue Boy. PS: I priced a carb, I was quoted $300.  Thats what motivated me to DIY, thankfully, it worked.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 109004
Just so that everyone can understand how remarkable this is--and why the tow truck driver said that "it was the first time he had an RV rollover where the coach did not 'peel' open"--I've uploaded three photos of typical crashed class A motorhomes to the album "Crashed class A RVs." Take a look, and you'll understand why the driver was so surprised.
 We're very fortunate to be driving rigs that won't disintegrate into a pile of matchsticks in an accident. Unfortunately, the majority of RVs (including trailers) will do just that.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 109005
Gus, So sorry about your LD roll over! How very scary that must have been! Great news that you survived with no apparent injuries. Hope you are still feeling ok, since sometimes the sore muscles and bruises come up after the fact.
Thankfully you both were seat belted in. You say your pets were not injured. Do you keep them restrained while driving? I sometimes think I should find room for small crates and keep the two small dogs inside and the crates belted in.

Denise

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 109007
Quote from: gweber3369
"untethered pets didn't hurt this time, and it is a wonder considering all the cabinet contents that shot across the coach.  Worst was the contents of the cat box! =======================
 What great news...for you and your fur babies. Does our hearts good to know you ALL are a-okay.

Anne Johnson

Lovely (66°) La Verne, CA

pets in motorhome
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 109014
I always keep my dogs in crate while traveling.  I have them actually seat belted and rachet strapped on floor (the crates).  I also have traveling collars with cell numbers and emergency contact numbers. I can tell many sad story of pets riding unrestrained and getting lost, panicking and getting hit by car, or dying in accident.  Would you let a child ride unrestrained?  With a cat get a large crate and put kitty box in it while riding.  Also, helps to confine when you are stopped and going in and out of door.  Even when not driving in LD I have crates in my car.

Darlene

AlaDar Beagles
www.aladarbeagles.com

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109023
Gus,
 Glad you and Shirley are OK. Sorry about the coach but, as they say, the third time will be the charm. Look forward to seeing you back on the road before too long.

Be well, Ron, Ginnie and all the Great Lakes Lazy Dazers
Ron

Re: pets in motorhome
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109024
Darlene, I think you have a good idea and I need to do that. We do crate the shih tzu when we take the jeep so that they are secure and they really are much more comfortable that way. I just need to find a spot to attach the crate to the LD floor. I am thinking that under the dinette would be best while we are traveling. I need an easy release so that we can put them out of the way when we are parked. Well, we need to do some trials. Good excuse to go somewhere!

Thanks, Denise

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 109025
Like Darlene, my dogs are always crated and the crates are secured with ratchet tie-downs.    One of my dogs (not owned by myself) was in a car accident, broke a front leg - he was loose in the car.   My cat (when I had him) was always crated for travel, and his crate was secured next to the dogs.  :-)
 Everyone is much safer if they are secured...and you know exactly where they are.

Cheers, Helen

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 109031
Bad news first - it turns out the waiting time is still 3 - 4 months.
Gus
I'm so glad to hear you all came out of the accident intact, but gee...that's a really extreme way to get a new Lazy Daze!
 Will you replace the old one with one just like it, or will you make changes?

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 109033
Hi Sharon:
 I just await forwarding of the unit value to the bank and the new one is then ordered.  Everything samo - samo.  Too good a design not to replicate.

Gus

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 109046
Mac (The Fire Guy) McCoy says you have 10 seconds to get out of a burning RV.  We set it up so we can grab a purse and a cat carrier and exit the motorhome fast. No hunting for and trying to grab a terrified animal.  Just a thought.
Linda Allen

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 109049
Mac (The Fire Guy) McCoy says you have 10 seconds to get out of a burning RV. We set it up so we can grab a purse and a cat carrier and exit the motorhome fast. No hunting for and trying to grab a terrified animal. Just a thought.
Linda Allen>>>>

Thanks Linda. I didn't know this.  So after giving it some thought (I'm not the panicking sort), I know I could flip open all 6 crates, yell "come", and be out the door in 10 seconds with all six dogs.  I don't think I would have the time to grab the emergency bag (including all important 'stuff') by the door, but I won't know that until I would have to.  I do need to think of how to grab their box of leashes as I exit. That is very important!!!  Food for thought until winter subsides.

Judy Wms.

Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze"

White '09 Scion  "Puppy Daze"

And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]