Skip to main content
Topic: Surging Generator (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Surging Generator
Yahoo Message Number: 108962
I have a 2007 RB. The generator started surging on my trip to Death Valley for New Years. The genny starts fine, but immediately starts to surge at a frequency of about once per second. The sound at the muffler goes up and down. When I observed the genny with the cover removed, I noticed on the top of the carb there is a semicircular plate that is connected by a rod to an extension of the exhaust pipe. This rod enters a small "box" attached to the exhaust extension. This rod and semicircular plate oscillate side to side and create the surge. When I manually hold this rod/plate the genny runs at a constant speed. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Surging Generator
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108964
Tim,
 My 2003 generator surges a bit as you describe when first started, but it settles down when under load, which if I understand correctly it always should be. I usually create some sort of load as soon as the generator comes on line. If it is cold I turn the AC to heat (activating the heat strip).
Or I may run my cube heater. If warm I may turn on the AC to cool.
Maybe some lights, the TV or whatever.
 Once it has smoothed out under the initial load and run for awhile it seems to keep operating smoothly no matter what the load is.
 I think the device you describe as affecting the running of the generator is a sort of regulator designed to adjust the speed as the load varies.
 If your generator runs smoothly under load I'd say it's OK. If not then maybe you do have a problem that those more knowledgeable than I can help with.

Terry

2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108980
"I noticed on the top of the carb there is a semicircular plate that is connected by a rod to an extension of the exhaust pipe. This rod enters a small 'box' attached to the exhaust extension."
 Sounds to me as if you're describing an automatic choke. When the generator is cold, the movable plate in the carburetor throat blocks some airflow and thus makes the mixture richer, preventing stalling. As the engine warms up, a bimetallic coil attached to the exhaust pipe expands, moving the plate to an open position and leaning out the mixture for normal operation.
 Now, why it would oscillate as you describe, I can't say. But I'd look at that box on the exhaust pipe--there may be something loose in there. Also, try lubing the linkage with silicone spray.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108983
Last summer, my generator refused to run for very long.  (Replaced:  fuel & air filters, did an oil change).  It surged after that and ran not-so-smoothly, but would run.   I tend to run it weekly when I take the m/h out....About 3 weeks ago, it was running, and then cough-sputter, and I thought, oh-oh, it's dead - but apparently it coughed up whatever had been the issue, and it has been running very smoothly since then.  It will have some more work done early April before a 3-week trip to the midwest (spark plugs - I can't get to them, and a fuel pump).

Cheers, Helen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109016
Tim,
 I am not sure what elevation change you had going to death valley but I get the same surging if I have a significant elevation change.
 I don't know what elevation change causes this but I know that if I go from 800 feet elevation to 3500 feet elevation it happens.  There is a knob on on the generator that I have to adjust to make it smooth out.  I am 1500 miles from my LD and the generator manual so I can't be specific about the knob location etc.

Something to consider,

Terry R
23.5 TK

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 109019
I was at -200ft above sea level and tried adjusting the altitude knob, but no help. The genny was running the micro, charger, furnace just fine. The problem was it surged all the time. If I held the rod that oscillating, the speed was level. I'm at 53 hours and I know it's time to clean out the carbon from the exhaust pipe. I will try that this weekend.