Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic Extended Warranty (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Dometic Extended Warranty
Yahoo Message Number: 108777
One of our "Christmas Presents" was that our 2 year, 2 month old Dometic refer bleed out. That's two months beyond full warranty. The labor to replace the cooling unit was $320. Not too bad, just $160 a year.
 We don't normally purchase extended warranties. A four year extended warranty for the replaced the cooling unit is offered for $90. That works out to $15 a year, which seems reasonable insurance for a known for failure appliance. [two years, plus four more years]

Would you buy the extended warranty?

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Dometic Extended Warranty
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108782

Yes.  In fact, we did when we bought our Lazy Daze.  After 3 failures on a previous Dometic refrigerator (2 new boards, 1 thermocouple), we paid the money for the additional warranty.  It's actually the only warranty we've ever bought!

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108783
I'd rather not buy anything from Dometic again. My new $3,000 fridge went bad within the one year factory warranty and Dometic did not honor it.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108784
Now this I would like to hear more about, since I am fitting the purchase of a new dometic 2620 refer into next years budget. Why wasn't your unit covered under "the best warranty in the business" or so they claim. Thanks Paul. John 85FL.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108785
I don't know why. Perhaps the basic reason is they would not agree there was a problem.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

Now this I would like to hear more about, since I am fitting the purchase of

a new dometic 2620 refer into next years budget. Why wasn't your unit covered under "the best warranty in the business" or so they claim. Thanks Paul. John 85FL.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108790
 Yes,  as a matter of fact, every appliance in the LD is covered with an extended warranty.  So far, when the furnace went out a few months after the regular warranty, I pretty near got a good return on my money.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108843
We will have our fridge coils replaced for the second time in five years next week when ordered unit arrives.
Estimated cost $1500..wish we had an extended warrenty!  Ours went out Christmas also, Don. Ho, Ho, Ho...
Suni & Tony in Port Aransas, Texas

We Are Here : Click Link http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1467

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108844
$1500 for just the "fridge coils"?  I had the whole fridge replaced for less and picked up another cubic foot of space (Dometic 2662 replaced by 3762).

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 108845
"$1,500 for just the 'fridge coils'?"
 I'm with Alex: that seems VERY expensive for a cooling unit replacement, when $1,200-$1,300 will buy you a brand new Dometic or (better still) Norcold fridge from Camping World.
 Granted those prices don't include installation, but I can't believe installing a fridge would be more expensive than installing a cooling unit. In fact, if anything, it's likely to be less expensive. After all, in both cases a fridge has to be removed and reinstalled... but with a cooling unit swap, it must also be disassembled.
 If you haven't shopped around for a more reasonable price, I'd suggest doing so. The deal you're being offered now doesn't seem like a good one.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 108846
On a Mid Bath, they had to take out the dinette window to replace the fridge whereas the cooling unit could have come through the door.  That was 2 hours at $110/hr.  Of course the fridge itself did not have to be disassembled to extract the cooling unit.  Not sure how long that would have taken to do.  In my case, I also had to pay for a new door panel as the old one is too small for the new door frame.  But, for what it's worth, one does get a 3 year warranty on the new fridge.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB