Skip to main content
Topic: Number of zerks and oil capacity? (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Number of zerks and oil capacity?
Yahoo Message Number: 108739
I just put all the previous owner's service receipts in a database to continue carefully maintaining our (2nd owners) 1997 23.5 T/K (Goldilocks) w/100k miles.  The oil used varied from 5 to 7 qts (usually 6.5), with filter change and the number of chassis zerks varied from 2 to 11 (usually 4), according to the service records (mostly Jiffy Lube & Oil Can Henrys).  Got knowledge of the actual grease zerks (is there a source for documentation/location?), and what experience with oil capacity during changes? John B.

Re: Number of zerks and oil capacity?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108743
wrote:
 The oil used varied from 5 to 7 qts (usually 6.5), with filter change and the number of chassis zerks varied from 2 to 11 (usually 4), according to the service records (mostly Jiffy Lube & Oil Can Henrys).  Got knowledge of the actual grease zerks (is there a source for documentation/location?), and what experience with oil capacity during changes? --- Your owner’s manual should provide a chart of the specific fluid requirements and amounts needed for your vehicle. You might also want to look at this page on Ford’s website; drill through the options to find the recommended maintenance “jobs” and mileage schedule for your vehicle:
 https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/maintenance_schedules/GetYMM.asp

The *considerable* discrepancies among the oil amounts and lubrication points in the past “service records” are red flags; those “numbers” are way too variable.  You might want to think about having your E350 V-10 serviced at a Ford (or other) truck center or with a reliable local mechanic who is familiar with the chassis and engine; at the least (if you don’t have the owner’s manual), you might want to call a local Ford service center and ask the service tech for the oil requirements (weight and amounts) for your specific vehicle.
 Perhaps others feel differently, but I would not rely on Jiffy Lube or Oil Can Henry’s or any “quick lube” outfit to perform even the most rudimentary maintenance on my motorhome. YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108746
Got knowledge of the actual grease zerks (is there a source for documentation/location?),
Check me where I'm wrong, but I think I recall that several zerks have rubber "bladders" holding lots of grease.  Service guy fills only the ones that need, so there's reason why "zerks filled" might vary.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108748
Check me where I'm wrong, but I think I recall that several zerks have rubber "bladders" holding lots of grease.  Service guy fills only the ones that need, so there's reason why "zerks filled" might vary.
"Zerk" refers to the fitting where grease is injected (named for inventor Oscar Zerk).  Many greased joints are enclosed in a rubber boot that serves to contain the grease and keep contaminants out.  Trying to pump too much grease into such a joint can cause the boot to rupture.  The count of "zerks" should only refer to the number of greaseable joints to be serviced and not the total amount of grease added.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108758
You know that I had to look this guy up; I thought "Oscar Zerk" might be a bit of "engineer humor"! ;-)
Thanks for looking that up, Joan. What an amazing man Zerk was. A veritable "Edison" of the late 20th c. Too bad he's such an unsung hero outside of that one small grease fitting bearing his name.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108780
Fascinating what answers one gets on this forum:  I've always wondered where the word "zerk" came from.  Now I know!  JB