Skip to main content
Topic: How much do you pay for an oil change? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
How much do you pay for an oil change?
Yahoo Message Number: 108633
KoKo had her 30k maintenance last month. I also followed advice here and had all the fluids changed. That's the good news.
 The dealer that I had been using for scheduled maintenance such as oil changes balked at doing the 30k, so I took it to another one who handles big rigs.
 I have been paying $32 for an oil change. The big rig dealer charged twice that. All the other charges seemed way high to me. I did not ask before hand, so I had to pay.
 I think I got ripped off. Or is $70 for an oil change common for LD?

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: How much do you pay for an oil change?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108635
Don,

The Ford dealer I use has a commercial truck servicing dept, so they also service m/h's.
The oil change is around $55.  The 30,000 mile service charge was $442 + tax.

It's going to vary from place to place, I think.

Cheers,

Helen

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108637
We paid anywhere from under $30 in Ainsworth, NE to over $90 at the Camping World in Henderson, NV (they charged as a motorhome regardless of the fact that the Lazy Daze doesn't take any more oil than a pickup truck...we'll never have service done at another CW again).

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108639
I used to use Walmart too... for about that price. It was fast and convenient. I'll probably continue to use them when I get the new LD this spring. The only thing I would advise is: they routinely check the air pressure

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108645
The only thing I would advise is: they [Wal-Mart] routinely check the air pressure in your tires as part of the servicing, and, unless told *not* to, will inflate them up to the maximum posted on the tire...

Many places do this, not just Wal-Mart.  We always tell whoever we take our vehicles to for an oil change not to mess with the tires...not only for the above-stated reason, but also because we have Pressure Pros on all the tires, and I don't want the services techs to get them mixed up and put back on the wrong tire.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108647
On Dec 19, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Don Malpas wrote:

I think I got ripped off. Or is $70 for an oil change common for LD?

Don, since I accumulate 3,000 miles all over the country, my price for oil changes has varied.  I just paid $37.00 in Breaux Bridge, LA in October; in December in Solvang, CA, I paid $45.17.  Both services were for oil changes only and at Ford Service centers.  I won't have anyone but Ford service my rig.  I first call the 800 number in my service book to ask for referrals to Ford *Truck* centers in the area I'm visiting, then call the referral to confirm they do in fact service motor homes.

Something new I ran across with the last oil change:  I was asked whether I wanted the 3,000 mile (partial synthetic) oil or the 5,000 mile (100%) synthetic oil.  There was a price difference.  After 97,000 miles of oil changes, I've thought any variable in price was the result of regional price variations.  I had never heard of two types of synthetic oil.  Fact or fiction?  And which oil do you all usually use?  Apparently they are the same weight; the only difference being the recommended miles between oil changes. Fact, or fiction?

Don, perhaps they used the more expensive synthetic and that's why your service was higher?

Lorna, Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108650
The cheapest I ever had was $29 at the Ford dealer in Cottonwood AZ.
Amazingly nice people, too.  I've never done WalMart because the one I did stop at in Guymon OK said they didn't do motorhomes.  I never bothered checking others.  I guess I should have!
 Most expensive was $80 at an RV dealer in Greencastle PA.  Most Ford dealers were in the low 50's.

Mary Lou Knack

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 108652
Lorna Dunham  wrote:

Something new I ran across with the last oil change:  I was asked whether I wanted the 3,000 mile (partial synthetic) oil or the 5,000 mile (100%) synthetic oil. .... I had never heard of two types of synthetic oil.  Fact or fiction?  And which oil do you all usually use?  Apparently they are the same weight; the only difference being the recommended miles between oil changes. Fact, or fiction? --- Lorna, you may have started another one of "those" threads! ;-)
 JMHO, but I have always used the Ford-recommended Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend (I think the "blend" percentages are 30% synthetic and 70% "dino") for the following reasons:

I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.
The synthetic/dino blend is (much) less expensive than full synthetic.
The engine in my rig is not subject to *extreme* heat, cold, or stress (*well within weight limits and I don't tow).
I don't know enough to second-guess the Ford engineers' oil recommendations!
 Some may disagree, but I believe that using the manufacturer-recommended oil (or its true equivalent) and changing the oil and filter at regular intervals, preferably at minimum mileage numbers, is still the cheapest and best "insurance" going for engine longevity.  YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 108653
Based on Lorna's and Mary Lou's experience, $72 is on the high end, while the $30 I paid at another Ford dealer was on the low end.
Maybe they did use synthetic oil.
 I now know to ask the price in advance. I had no idea prices were so variable.

So far, I have only used Ford dealers. I would have no problem with Wal*Mart doing a oil change, but I never thought their facilities could handle an LD.
 Town and Country Ford in Bessemer, AL is the one that charged $72. He said they are the only big rig shop in 150 miles, so be sure you do not  need service in Alabama or Mississippi.

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:10:49 -0800, Lorna Dunham maidtowander@...> wrote:

Don, since I accumulate 3,000 miles all over the country, my price for oil changes has varied.  I just paid $37.00 in Breaux Bridge, LA in October; in December in Solvang, CA, I paid $45.17.  Both services were for oil changes only and at Ford Service centers.  I won't have anyone but Ford service my rig.

Don, perhaps they used the more expensive synthetic and that's why your service was higher?

Lorna, Santa Cruz
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 17:02:08 -0500, "Mary Lou Knack" mlknack@...> wrote:
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 108654
We pay about $55.00 at Wal-Mart for FULL Synthetic..Wal-Mart Brand Super Tech oil.
 Many Wal-Mart's have high bays in the service areas and they can do the coach. We usually note those in our log and also  when needed call the Wal Mart and ask.

Sylvia

"The DogHouse" '96 30IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 108660
On Dec 19, 2009, at 2:22 PM, jctaylor1941 wrote:

Lorna, you may have started another one of "those" threads! ;-)

Oh heavens, I hope not!!!  Perhaps the source of my confusion was the fact I've never been given a choice before.  I too am steadfast in oil changes every 3000-3500 miles and have just *assumed* the Ford service centers I patronize use 5W-20 synthetic blend.  I just didn't know that's the oil recommended for frequent changers, like me or even that there is such a thing as a (higher priced) "full synthetic."

At least now I'll know to specify, and that will hopefully continue to keep costs in line with the ol' budget!

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 108661
Just today, Saturday, 12/18, WFP took "Wild Thing" in for a 5,000 mile oil change at "The Ford Store Morgan Hill" CA (about 25 miles south of San Jose; 25 miles north of Salinas). Has a truck center there. Odometer read 24,620.

The cash price was: and I am reading the bill

Synthetic Oil    $19.50 Oil Filter              4.50 Air Cleaner         28.34 (we've spent a lot of time in the Southwest and West) Haz Waste Fee    3.25 Labor                 70.00 (included the 12-point checklist and setting the tire pressures..!!)

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing" NE 59 LD 2967

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 108663
I pay $12.00 for synthetic oil and filter at Freeway Ford in Denver.  I paid $120 for a card for 10 oil changes.  The price is now $180.00.  I have not used up my old card yet.

Paul Dixon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 108666
Replace the air filter yourself, you can buy one at checker/auto zone, very easy to do. Mari

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 108667
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:47:25 -0800 (PST), Tina Pratt wrote:

(included the 12-point checklist and setting the tire pressures..!!)
I hang a sign on the rear view mirror asking them to leave the tire pressure alone and yes, I know there is only 56 pounds in the front tires.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 108669
Back when Mobil Oil first introduced their Mobil #1 Synthetic Oil, I wrote them for their tests results! In their test, they took two brand new Lincoln Continentals right off the production line! One with regular oil, the other changed to Mobil #1 Synthetic with a new filter. The ran both for 100,000 miles, changing the regular oil every 3,500 miles and replacing the filter. The Lincoln with the Mobil #1 Synthetic, every 10,000 miles, they would change the filter and add oil to replace what was lost in the filter change. Every 25,000 miles, the would do a complete change and replace the filter.
 At 100.000 miles, the engines were torn down and micrometered! The engine on regular oil was full of sludge and you could scrape it off the inside of the valve covers. It was also burning oil. The engine using Mobil#1 wasn't burning oil, was completely clean with no trace of sludge and was still within Ford Motor Companys own specifications for leaving the factory as a brand engine!
 Ever since, I have only used Mobils Synthetic oil since they invented it (on all my vehicles, boats, etc that I have owned) and they have many more years experience with synthetics than anyone else. Most racecars now use only synthetic oil and a number of auto mfr's have it in their engines when it leaves their factories! I have followed the 10,000-25,000 mile change the initially did in their first test and use their Mobil #1 filter specifically designed for use with their synthetic oil! No sludge, almost zero wear, what could be better?
 Oh, what do I pay for a change, I buy the Mobil #1 at Walmart for $23.00 for a 5 qt jug, the Mobil#1 Oul Filter on sale at AutoZone for about $8 and my last oul change paid $5.65 for the labor at a local Chevy dealership running a special for $9.95. I supply everything, they do the change. I was taken back by only being charged the labor portion of their special but you can be sure I will give my business to them when I can! Smart business on their part!

Ed 94 LD MB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 108678
Paul I would sure like to see the empty oil bottles they are using. I know of no synthetic I can even buy at that price, maybe Wall Mart but I think 5 quarts of it is higher than that and a filter is 2-5 dollars. Even at 180 for 10 changes that is a steal if they really are using full synthetic..

Garry

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 108684
wrote:
 I would sure like to see the empty oil bottles they are using. I know of no synthetic I can even buy at that price..
--- The $12.00 figure surprised me, too, *especially* from a Ford dealer! He didn't say what the oil "brand" was (AFAIK, Ford dealers sell Motorcraft and that's it) or how may quarts of oil this price represented, but $12.00 is a very low figure!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home