Skip to main content
Topic: solar panel mounting (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
solar panel mounting
Yahoo Message Number: 108583
Having just had three mounted at AM Solar, I can attest to them using both methods..tape AND screws. I asked about just using the tape and they declined--felt it not as safe as they'd want to be responsible for.
 I was offered the option of leaving the old hardware as it could have been done.  I had the old mounting hardware for the original panel removed, and the resulting holes sealed...didn't want to leave the mounting hardware as another thing to catch garbage on the roof under neath the new panels..they do mount them raised up an inch or so.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: solar panel mounting
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108586
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Gini Free wrote:

Having just had three mounted at AM Solar, I can attest to them using both methods..tape AND screws. I asked about just using the tape and they declined--felt it not as safe as they'd want to be responsible for.
Interesting, so Roger at AM Solar was giving me the straight scoop.  Now I have to decide if I want to drill that roof.
 With so many of our group evidently using just tape, my question is if any of us has had any problem with that method of mounting.  I REALLY don't want to drill the roof.  I may even have to rethink my idea of mounting the panels on the luggage rack, at least it's bolted down and wouldn't require putting any new holes in the roof.
 Rich Gort 2000 MB Birch Bay, WA (where the temp is up to 50 today....maybe I won't have to wait till July to mount them afterall)
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108590

"...Interesting, so Roger at AM Solar was giving me the straight scoop.  Now I have to decide if I want to drill that roof.
 With so many of our group evidently using just tape, my question is if any of us has had any problem with that method of mounting..."

Rich Gort 2000 MB Birch Bay, WA
My two additional panels (3 total) were screwed on and gooped over about 4 yrs ago.  I've had no problems.

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108592
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, chorst_2000 wrote:

My two additional panels (3 total) were screwed on and gooped over
about 4 yrs ago.  I've had no problems.

Chris H
Chris,
 Was this done by AM Solar?  If not, who?  Just wondering if AM Solar was mounting them with screws even back then? ? ? ? ? Maybe some of their installs were with screws and some without? ? ? ?

Rich Gort
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108593

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, chorst_2000 wrote:

My two additional panels (3 total) were screwed on and gooped over about 4 yrs ago.  I've had no problems.

Chris H

Chris,
 Was this done by AM Solar?  If not, who?  Just wondering if AM Solar was mounting them with screws even back then? ? ? ? ? Maybe some of their installs were with screws and some without? ? ? ?

Rich Gort
D&Rs Family RV in Glendale AZ

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108594
AM Solar got us set up with two panels and the rest and they did use screws. I questioned them about it but they said this is how they do it. They have a good reputation and I think it's deserved. This was two summers ago.

Denise

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108597
"I REALLY don't want to drill the roof. I may even have to rethink my idea of mounting the panels on the luggage rack, at least it's bolted down and wouldn't require putting any new holes in the roof."

Have you ever gone on top of your LD and see how many Factory installed screws penetrate the roof? Obviously properly installed screws is not going to auto-destruct your LD. Imitate the Factory's procedures or methods used in marine construction. It's all about doing it right, the right prep, screws and glue.
I have inspected several A&M Solar installations and have visited their shop in Oregon. They do first class work. If their years of experience have shown the screwed and glued foot is the preferred method, you should give it very serious consideration.
Oh, BTW, LD installs them the same way.
 When I installed the panels on our LD, each foot was attached to the roof with a lot of 3M Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant 5200 (tensile strength - 700spi) and a couple of stainless steel screws. The screws were used primarily to bed-in the feet deeply into the glue.  After curing, the screws can be removed and holes sealed with more polyurethane. I prefer to leave the screws intact, liking the added mechanical strength.
A blop of glue over each screw head seals it up. You could add a strip of Eternabond over the screw heads, if desired.
You want to make sure the surfaces are well prepped. Read the glue's instructions.
If done right, this connection should be leak free for the life of the MH.

Through the roof penetrations should always be well thought out.
If long-lasting waterproof thru-hull fittings and screws can work in salt-water boats, they can work on the roof of a motor home.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)