Skip to main content
Topic: Audible Turn Signal Indicator (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Audible Turn Signal Indicator
Yahoo Message Number: 108507
Since getting my LD, I have had problems hearing when my turn signal was on and, in the daytime, seeing the in-dash indicators.  What I wanted was an audible notification that a turn signal was on.  I asked a Ford dealership, and they were unable to help me.  I checked JC Whitney, without success.
 Finally, I found a solution at http://www.turnalarm.com  I wasn't sure which unit to order, so I emailed them.  I received a response from them recommending the unit 262 for my year, make and model.  I placed my order.
 The unit came in today.  Installation couldn't be simpler.  You unplug your existing flasher and replace it with the new one.  There are two connectors on the new flasher and there were three on the old one, leaving two possibilities for orientation of the new flasher.
 I, of course, picked the wrong one at first.  When the lights didn't flash, I picked the second alternative.  (That is the recommended procedure in the instructions for finding the correct orientation.)
 It took me 20 minutes to do the installation, 15 to find my existing flasher and 5 minutes to properly connect the replacement.
 So far, all looks good.  Both turn signals and my 4-ways flash, and the lights on my toad flash as well.  The alarm is not loud but should be noticeable when driving.

Ken F. near Albuquerque
'08 MB

Re: Audible Turn Signal Indicator
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108509
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:00:01 -0000, "videodiver2002" wrote:

Finally, I found a solution at http://www.turnalarm.com I wasn't sure which unit to order, so I emailed them. I received a response from them recommending the unit 262 for my year, make and model. I placed my order.
I just placed my order. $35 is stiff, but now we will know when the sucker is on. Good find Ken!
 Now find something that plugs in to warn when the parking brake is on.
[The TT solution is over-my-head]

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108512
Excellent product.  If you have LED tail lights be sure to order the turnalarm specified for LED.

Malcolm 02BlueMB
2002 Mid Bath

Re: Audible Turn Signal Indicator- Another source for DIYers
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108517
For those with a desire to wire in a turn signal or braking brake buzzer, take a look at Terry's Technoz site for DIY instructions.
Both article are done in Terry's well-documented style.
Take a look at the other articles he has written.
 It is a member-only site so do sign up. It's a site every LDer should belong to.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Techsnoz/?yguid=72932030>

Click on this page.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Techsnoz/files/> Look for.
Turn signal buzzer TurnBuzzer.pdf

Braking brake buzzer BrakeBuz.pdf

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108567
"The Shack", previously known as Radio Shack has quite a range of piezo-electric beepers. My old S-10 had a broken return spring on the right-turn part of the turn signal switch.
 When I found that you had to take the steering wheel off (three special tools to rent from your friendly (not) GM shop or $300 to have them do it), I got one of the Shack's beepers and a couple of fairly high resistance resistors and wired them into the right side turn signal wire. The beepers are very loud, so some in-series resistance is needed to quiet them down.
 I still have another beeper and resistors in the bench drawer, as the other side didn't fail before I sold the truck!
 I think the whole deal was less than 10 bucks and I still have five buck's worth left.