Skip to main content
Topic: Cleaning pleated shades (Read 62 times) previous topic - next topic
Cleaning pleated shades
Yahoo Message Number: 108484
Has anyone tried or had the pleated shades cleaned? Our 2003 LD's shades are showing the accumulation of seven years worth of dirt, dust and campfire smoke.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Cleaning pleated shades
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108487
"Has anyone tried or had the pleated shades cleaned? Our 2003 LD's shades are showing the accumulation of seven years worth of dirt, dust and campfire smoke."

Larry
Larry, I have used a small but powerful Hoover canister vac with the brush attachment to clean the pleated shades.  Works well.

BTW, isn't it dangerous to have campfires in the LD?  (-:

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108488
wrote: BTW, isn't it dangerous to have campfires in the LD? (-: --- Good one, Chris! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108489
"I have used a small but powerful Hoover canister vac with the brush attachment to clean the pleated shades. Works well."

Chris
 The shades have been vacuumed and blown clean, with compressed air, many times. They still look dirty, especially at the bottom of the shades.
They need to be washed somehow. The LD owner's manual is silent on the matter.

"BTW, isn't it dangerous to have campfires in the LD? (-:"

Very!
 Too many hours of running the Fantastic fans in smoky campgrounds has pulled a lot of smoke and dust through the interior.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108490

"...The shades have been vacuumed and blown clean, with compressed air, many times. They still look dirty, especially at the bottom of the shades.
They need to be washed somehow. The LD owner's manual is silent on the matter..."

Larry
I wonder if contacting the manufacturer of the shades would provide cleaning info.  I'm not sure who makes them.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108491
"I wonder if contacting the manufacturer of the shades would provide cleaning info. I'm not sure who makes them."
 Irvine Shade & Door Co., Elkhart IN and Anaheim, CA. They don't seem to have a website, but maybe you could take a run over there, Larry. :-)
 My problem with the blinds isn't so much cleaning (at least yet) as frayed cords. So far I've had to restring three out of four blinds, and I'm just waiting for the one in the dining room to go.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108492
While I haven't tried this, I suggest a trial with one of those large art gum erasers in a discreet spot to see if that helps. Those erasers are usually pretty gentle and are often recommended for walls and delicate papers.
 I think the campfires are probably safe in the LD as long as you have the propane turned off and the toilet paper tightly wound on the spindle...and you use low-flame marshmellows.

TinaP "Wild Thing" Drying Out in Paso Robles, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108494
"I suggest a trial with one of those large art gum erasers in a discreet spot to see if that helps."
 Oooh, great idea, Tina! That would be the first thing I'd try after vacuuming.

Andy Baird

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 108499
In my former (working)life, I found a product, much like the art gum erasers that we used to "clean" walls after a small fire. It would do a fairly good job of removing the soot, but soot is never all that's on the walls.
If you have been living, or more particularly cooking, in your LD, and you used any oil or cooked meats (anything fatty) on the stove top, I think I can guarantee that you have basically aerosolized the oil/fat into a fog that has settled onto everything. I don't think an eraser will clean the oil/fat/grease, etc from any fabrics. However, I would love to be wrong. I would try the eraser idea in a _very_ inconspicuous area first.
Ken

"I suggest a trial with one of those large art gum erasers in a discreet spot to see if that helps."
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 108501
My problem with the blinds isn't so much cleaning (at least yet) as frayed cords. So far I've had to restring three out of four blinds, and I'm just waiting for the one in the dining room to go.

My cords are tearing into the shade pleats.  Can this be corrected?

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 108504
"My cords are tearing into the shade pleats. Can this be corrected?"
 Can you tell us more about how this is happening, Edward? Normally the cords go straight up and down, so there should be very little contact with the shade material. Are you seeing this tearing on all pleats, or just the ones near the top or the bottom? All four cords, or just one or two? Front of the holes, sides, or backs?
 I have seen one problem that might be relevant: on one of my shades and one belonging to a friend, I found that the cord had actually sawed through the plastic on one side of the hole where it passes through the bottom rail of the blind. If that happened on your shades, the cord would no longer be centered in the holes of the pleats, and might begin to abrade them.
 In that case I'd expect to see it cutting the pleats toward the center (since the tension of the cord pulls it in that direction)... especially the bottom pleats. Are you seeing anything like that?

Andy Baird

Cleaning pleated shades
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 108506
I found this on doityourself.com:
 * Pleated Cloth Shades:* These shades present many cleaning problems. Never use a cleaner of any kind on day-night shades. They stain easily. Vacuum often to prevent dirt from taking control. Be sure to clean the bristles of your vacuum attachment before you vacuum. Hardware stores carry a dry sponge you'll find in the wallboard section. Use the sponge dry and wipe over the surface. The micro fiber towels do a good job as well. Dampen with water and wring out all the excess moisture. Quickly wipe over the blinds. Do not get excess moisture on them. Store the shades in a closed position whenever possible to keep the pleats well defined.
 Hope this helps...I will try it on my shades (they are also in need of cleaning!)

Cheers, Helen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 108514
Quote from: Larry
Has anyone tried or had the pleated shades cleaned? ========================= I vacuum mine with the brush that's attached to the vacuum. I spot clean with a dampened cloth any spots that rear their ugly heads.

Anne Johnson

Lovely (Clear and cool) La Verne, CA

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 108518
"If you have been living, or more particularly cooking.. I can guarantee that you have basically aerosolized the oil/fat into a fog that has settled onto everything."

Ken
 That is probably what has happened. I noticed the gradual darkening throughout the interior of almost every well lived-in LD.
The difference is very noticeable when venturing into a new LD or when viewing photos of a LD when it was new.
The fans can only control this buildup in a limited way. The stove hood's fan is not very effective. I sometimes use the hood fan and run one of the Fantastic fans switched to 'in' to slightly pressurize the interior. This helps to force out the cooking fumes through the hood fan
 LD was kind enough to use metal mini-blinds in back of the stove and cleaning then is relatively easy.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 108543
"The problem is/was the brass grommets that the strings go through were not crimped completely and were cutting the strings as they passed through."
 Interesting. My 2003-vintage shades have plastic grommets, but the cords frayed anyway... and as I mentioned, in a couple of cases they sawed right through the grommets. Brass should work better, assuming it's properly installed. Judging by your experience, that isn't always the case.

Andy Baird

Cleaning Pleated Shades
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 108582
When I was telling Bess about this thread she said to pass on to the group that she's successfully cleaned small spots/stains from the shades with a Q tip and Hydro Peroxide. She lets it dry overnight and then - with one more application the following day - they look good as new.

Bill n Bess Atkins "Merlot" 02 RB

Enjoying the dry weather and sun of Casa Grande, AZ.