Skip to main content
Topic: Port Orford (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Port Orford
Yahoo Message Number: 108438
Parked [for free!!] on the bluff above the actual port...if you've missed this one, it's a GREAT place to park for a few days...the ocean/beach is accessible, and my girl, Junah has had a ball on the beach chasing drift wood toss toys and meeting and greeting a ton of other dog folk.

This is the ONLY port in at least California, if not the whole US, where they LOWER the fishing boats with a crane!! They then pick them up at the end of the day the same way--really really awesome to watch--these aren't LITTLE boats either!
 All in all a beautiful place for a visit..I understand the fresh sea food served on the port is also top rated, [but I don't like fish particularly==too bad!].
 It's been cold, over cast, raining, foggy...I LOVE IT!! Even with the uncooperative weather the new solar setup is working quite well under the circumstances--between it, and the generator, I'm happyhappyhappy!

Here and Port Blanco are really good places to keep in mind when traveling the Oregon coast on 101.

;-}
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: Port Orford
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108442
"Parked [for free!!] on the bluff above the actual port... This is the ONLY port in at least California,... where they LOWER the fishing boats with a crane!! Here and Port Blanco are really good places to keep in mind when traveling the Oregon coast on 101."

Gini
 I presume from your message that you've been out to Cape Blanco, correct??? That's a pretty neat Lighthouse out there.
 Did you drive in and check out the Cape Blanco State Park campground. Boy oh boy, that's the place if you want to be isolated from the rest of the world.
 Also, if you like German food you could stop off at the Honey Bear just north of Gold Beach. Love their potato pancakes and bratwurst.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Port Orford
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108454
This is the ONLY port in at least California, if not the whole US, where they LOWER the fishing boats with a crane!!
 Hey, Gini - if you're coming down the California coast, checkout Pt, Arena, http://www.cityofpointarena.com/%c2%a0 - as photos show, boats are crane launched (mostly commercial urchin divers). Used to ab dive in the area and friends who live nearby have son who launches there. Here's a link to California coast aerials that are neat to see what's where. http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=11936&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

Drop a line if you're coming as far as San Diego.

Barb & Gypsy '93 22'TK

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
1992 22' TK

Port Orford
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108455
The lighthouse was closed for the season, as is most of the attractions out this way...that, or the business, etc. is now gone.
Sadly seeing a lot of empty store fronts, businesses closed.....seems like half of the towns are gone now.

Yes, cruised thru Cape Blanco...that's someplace I will definitely come back to...beautiful! Empty too...grin!
 According to the route i end up taking, I will most definitely check out Honey Bear--you are the third person to recommend it so it's on my "to do" list for sure!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."