Skip to main content
Topic: Self defense when you do not have a gun. (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Self defense when you do not have a gun.
Yahoo Message Number: 108348
Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School.  For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
 Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective thanmace or pepper spray.  The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
 It's also one he wants everyone to hear.  If you're looking forprotection, Glinka says look to the spray.
 "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."  Maybe even save a life.

Re: Self defense when you do not have a gun.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108350
When my wife and I used to motorcycle camp in a two person tent we carried pepper spray.  I always slept with it next to me.  Never had to use it.  Throughout our travels on two wheels around the western US we were always pleasantly surprised about how nice people are when camping.

Thankfully our perception has not changed since buying our Lazy Daze.

To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com From:
 Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:58:31 +0000
 Subject: [LD] Self defense when you do not have a gun.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
 Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective thanmace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
 It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking forprotection, Glinka says look to the spray.
 "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108355
"Thats going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out" maybe kick the beejeebees outta the intruders butt, THEN call the fuzz or an ambulance.  Gene in cold Sanford

__

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108359
"maybe kick the beejeebees outta the intruders butt, THEN call the fuzz or an ambulance."
 The ex-law-enforcement people here can check me on this, but my hunch is that once an intruder is disabled and the threat is nullified (with pepper spray, wasp spray or whatever), any further violence on your part may be construed as assault. Kicking him while he's down may be emotionally satisfying, but it could get you in trouble with the law.
 In a nutshell, my understanding is that threat removal is usually legal, but vengeance isn't.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 108360
"Andy"  wrote: In a nutshell, my understanding is that threat removal is usually legal, but vengeance isn't.
--- What constitutes "threat removal" is also a very grey area that depends on several variables and legal "fine lines". I do not want to start an inflammatory thread, but I encourage anyone who carries a weapon of *any type* to be fully aware of any and all potential consequences of its use in any and all circumstances; laws and what one might perceive as "justice" do NOT necessarily coincide! YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108361
AAAAawwwwww maaaannnnn, I can't never have any fun, shucks, doggone it...also, I can see y'all don't know sarcasum when you seed it. I was just tryin to have a lil fun WITH  y'all. Oh well, I STILL lovesya.  Gene in cold Sanford

__

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108362
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 9:30 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Self defense when you do not have a gun.

"maybe kick the beejeebees outta the intruders butt, THEN call the fuzz or an ambulance."
 The ex-law-enforcement people here can check me on this, but my hunch is that once an intruder is disabled and the threat is nullified (with pepper spray, wasp spray or whatever), any further violence on your part may be construed as assault. Kicking him while he's down may be emotionally satisfying, but it could get you in trouble with the law.
 In a nutshell, my understanding is that threat removal is usually legal, but vengeance isn't.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/

Ex-law-enforcement people here . . .
 Well yes, I agree, Andy, but case decision has consistantly held that vengeance is sooooooo much more satisfying (g).
 I would never go the vengeance route, btw. Once the bad guy is down and/or no longer a threat, game over. Going in, if deadly force is called for, I'll be using a firearm. There are instances when the threat does not justify that level of response, that's when spray or other non-leathal devices are good. For those cases when one might consider wasp spray, I'd go for bear spray instead - - also works on furry bad guys.

bumper Yonder Minden, NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 108363

"...be fully aware of any and all potential consequences of its use in any and all circumstances; laws and what one might perceive as "justice" do NOT necessarily coincide! YMMV."

Joan
Someone very close to me (a single man) was living in a seedy trailer park which had been the scene of several recent break-in robberies. He and his girlfriend had just returned from a fishing trip, both tired, and went to bed. The man arose in a stupor when he heard someone rattling his screen door.
 Thinking someone was trying to break in he secured his gun, fired through the door, and killed the person on the outside. Turns out it was his girlfriend's daughter trying to leave her mother a note by slipping it behind the screen. He's now serving 25 to life in state prison.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 108365
(several variables and legal "fine lines". ) too little response emboldens a malefactor tl just enough leaves the malefactor wanting revenge response, _._,___ too much causes legal problems and feuds.

If anyone truly has this figured out I would love to take classes.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 108366
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 9:46 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Self defense when you do not have a gun.

"Andy"  wrote: In a nutshell, my understanding is that threat removal is usually legal, but vengeance isn't.
--- What constitutes "threat removal" is also a very grey area that depends on several variables and legal "fine lines". I do not want to start an inflammatory thread, but I encourage anyone who carries a weapon of *any type* to be fully aware of any and all potential consequences of its use in any and all circumstances; laws and what one might perceive as "justice" do NOT necessarily coincide! YMMV.

Joan

No arguement from me. But consider, most people are not going to get the training a police officer gets (and as we all know, cops sometimes make mistakes in spite of all that training).
 There is a relatively simple "test" that you can apply in most situations:
 If you are in fear for and acting to defend your life or that of your family, and can articulate that to a jury, you can be reasonably sure you'll be okay.
 Most states do not condone the use of deadly force to protect property.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 108367
Some might want to consider non-lethal ammo, like bean bag rounds.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149911756
 At less than 20 feet, you really don't have to have the most bad-assed weapon to get results. Besides, it would be easy for a DA to make the argument that you were "hunting" the guy if you shot him more than 20 feet away from you.
 Oh yeah, try to imagine how the jury will see your weapon if you pull the trigger. I would want mine to look like a duck gun, not something Rambo would have.

Something to think about.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy