Skip to main content
Topic: 1983 LD information for a newbie.. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
1983 LD information for a newbie..
Yahoo Message Number: 108313
Hi there!  I'm new to this group.  I looked at an '83 LD today with low mileage (under 50K)  and am considering buying it.  It was in very good condition -- everything works other than the swamp cooler.  Would love to hear what other '83 owners have to say about their motorhomes... gas mileage? Reliability? Problems?  Thanks so much!!!

Re: 1983 LD information for a newbie..
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108318
Hi there!  I'm new to this group.  I looked at an '83 LD today with low mileage (under 50K)...
My experience with a 1983 Lazy Daze
 The bad: The small Chevy engine barely has enough power to drive the rig, let alone tow any type of vehicle. Also 8 miles per gallon.
 It does poorly in temperature extremes due to insuficient insulation. In 105 degree Texas summers I always tried to park under a tree to be able to moderately cool down the interior with the air conditioner running full blast.
 The furnace is probably close to the end of its life. It will come on but not ignite. The fan then comes on and will run until it wakes you up, having chilled the interior to the outside temperature.

When the refrigerator dies it will cost about a grand to replace.
 If the tires are the orignal size then you will have difficulties finding replacements. I need to replace all 6 along with finding new rims.

The good: Most mechanics can work on the engine. Just be ready for unexpected break downs with a fat credit card.
 This (purchasing an older RV) is a relatively inexpensive way to find out if RVing is for you. My wife and I have been to places we would not have gone to without an RV. If RVing is for you you will have a blast and never regret buying it. It was always great being able to pull into a restop, fire up the generator, make a pot of coffee, cook dinner, take a nap, and continue on to our destination.

When i bought my 1983 Lazy Daze everything worked on mine except the swamp cooler. Now, 6 years later, I need a refrigerator, 6 tires, a/c work, escape hatch, battery converter, and a couple of miscellaneous other things. The last 2 years have been very hard on her.

David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108325
If you haven't already, go to the Files area of our website (see blue text links at left on every page) and open the Buying & Selling folder. In it you'll find--among other things--tips on shopping for and inspecting a used Lazy Daze.
 The most important thing with a rig as old as the one you're looking at is to check for leaks and dry-rot damage, especially in the leak-vulnerable overcab area. Pull up the mattress and look for stains; feel for soft spots. Dry rot can be very costly and time-consuming to repair.
 The second most important thing with any rig more than ten years old, *even if it looks perfect*, is to set aside several thousand dollars for repairs, new tires and other contingencies.
 I'm not saying you shouldn't buy this coach. As David said, it's a relatively inexpensive way to find out if RVing is for you. I owned a 1985 Lazy Daze for five years (see http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie-index.htm>), and it was a great coach! But I put lots of work and money into it, just as David describes. So if you go into this, do so with open eyes. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108337
Well now that we have a year under our belts with our 85 FL I agree with David and Andy on most points. The low miles can be a plus, most RV's do sit more than they are driven. That should save you on worn out parts, brakes, bearings, etc. On the other hand the seals of the engine, tranny and AC system need to be excercised to maintain their properties. The 350 engine is weak but acceptable on freeways. Climbing hills is not its strong point. Tires are still available for the 16.5 rim size, but appears to be slowly(?) fading out. Kelly Springfield and Cooper still carry this size. The one positive thing I can say about buying a vintage LD is it got us a start on the wonderfull experience of owning a well built class C motorhome. John 85 FL. P.S. it rained the other day and I discovered another leak in the roof area.............#%*#@!!!!!!!