Skip to main content
Topic: smog check (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
smog check
Yahoo Message Number: 108302
anyone in southern California have a reccomendation for a smog check on my 2000 LD? I live in Simi Valley (Ventura County).

Thanks Jerry 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Re: smog check
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108303
anyone in southern California have a reccomendation for a smog check on my 2000 LD? I live in Simi Valley (Ventura County).
Most places that will do a smog check will do it on your LD. The big issue is whether you can maneuver it in and out comfortably, since most places these days are in industrial strip malls down alleys. If you need a 'test-only' site, that reduces your choices more. My technique is to drive there first by car to see what is involved. If I decide I can handle the location, then I'll ask in person.
 Note that test-only sites tend to be more expensive, usually offer a free re-check, and are less likely to sell you something you don't need.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108304

Thanks Jerry 2000 30 IB
Not sure about the 2000 but on the 2003 the doghouse has to be removed to do smog.  This increases the price considerably.  Make sure you find one that knows how to handle RV

Joe Hamm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108315
Joe Hamm wrote:
 Not sure about the 2000 but on the 2003 the doghouse has to be removed to do smog. This increases the price considerably.
 The last time I had mine smogged I removed the dog house myself.   I called around first and told vendors I would be doing that, and saved some bucks.
They were just as happy to not have to deal with it and give the price reduction.
 One suggestion, do an oil change prior to the smog check unless you had one quite recently, and bring the LD in good and warm from a highway speed drive.   The oil change can make a big difference in an older rig, according to the people I dealt with.

Gary in Chico, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108316
Hi Jerry
 I had our 2003 LD tested three weeks ago. They will only do it on Saturday afternoons when the other bays are empty.
You need to call ahead to make sure they are available on the day you want it done Ask for Chris. He had tested our three vehicles this year and seems honest, not trying to sell anything extra. You might mention that he tested our blue LD recently.
The total cost was $84 and he did not need to remove the doghouse.
As usual, YMMV.

Arco Woodland Hills AJ Services 6310 Fallbrook Avenue Woodland Hills, CA 91367-1603 (818) 348-5471

If you have more questions, give me a call, you have my number.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108332
Thanks to all who replied, I'll be making some phone calls this morning

Jerry 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646