Skip to main content
Topic: LD Federal Parks Proposal ( my input on this issue) (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Federal Parks Proposal ( my input on this issue)
Yahoo Message Number: 108201
Having seen the comments by most of those writers that I am familiar with, I concur with most of them.  I figured I should put my two cents worth in here.
 I am willing to pay the price they are wanting plus a bit more.  Our country is a national treasure we got by the Grace of God and the energies of our ancestors who came from other countries to make this place "a land of opportunity".
 For those of us who were not privileged to "bend their backs" in service to country through military service or a lifetime job because we are disabled, those little perks like the Access pass are a godsend.  Still, I respect the idea that we all have to pay our way to make things livable and viable for the generations to come after I am gone.
 Bring on that tiny expense and let's give America some pride in what we have preserved in our national treasure.

Carry on, Donna 26.5' RB Vaughn, WA

So how do I feel? I'd happily pay more to keep these parks open, that's how I feel. If they raised the fees from $10 for dry camping and $14 for water/electric hookups to, say $12/$16, they could probably reduce or eliminate the parks department's budget shortfall, and camping here would still be cheaper than in any other state I know of.
That's a win-win solution that I'd be happy with.

So you'd be OK with a $2/night increase.  Compare that to:

A) $4/night increase if regular camping for all (no reduction) is $10  ($9 instead of $5)  
B) $6/night increase if regular camping for all (no reduction) is $15  ($13.50 instead of $7.50)  
C) $8/night increase if regular camping for all (no reduction) is $20
 ($18 instead of $10)
 That's what we're talking about when we go from a 50% to a 10% reduction from regular rates.
 I get really bugged when our "representives" in government (no matter if it is local, state or federal) can only see raising rates or taxes instead of looking at ways to cut  expenses.  We (as U.S. citizens) already own our national forests....we just want to enjoy them.
 We always make sure that any campsite we use is left in as good or better condition than when we arrived, and I honestly believe that most of us "older" folks do the same.  We rarely even use the bathroom facilities, so with the exception of leaving some garbage (in the appropiate container, of course) and maybe using an RV dump what are we paying for? ? ? ? ?

Rich Gort - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]