Skip to main content
Topic: oven shelf (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
oven shelf
Yahoo Message Number: 108107
I have just baked my second batch of brownies in the oven of our 2005 RB and had forgotten that the wire shelf doesn't seem to come out, and once again, I had to use my long tongs to pull the pan out so I could grip it with a pot holder.

The shelf *looks* like it should go in from the top, drop down into some sort of groove, and then pull most of the way out, hitting the stop about three inches from the front.  But once I get the shelf in, it won't pull back out without lifting it up, which, of course, is impossible when it is holding a pan of food.

It looks like the little "ears" need to be bent down a bit, but I cannot imagine that Lazy Daze would have put in a shelf that did not fit the oven.  Since this unit came off a dealer's lot, I am guessing that they just stuck in a wire shelf that fit, without regard to the intricacies of how it goes in and comes out.

Or else . . . and this is entirely within the realm of possibility . . . I am a total dunce, and the solution is right in front of me.

Anyone with a similar experience and/or a solution?

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Writing again tonight from Calico, California, where there isn't a cloud in the sky, but the full moon was last night, when it was all cloudy.

Re: oven shelf
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108108
"The shelf *looks* like it should go in from the top, drop down into some sort of groove, and then pull most of the way out, hitting the stop about three inches from the front. But once I get the shelf in, it won't pull back out without lifting it up."
 You're right--the shelf should pull out about six inches and then hit a stop. To remove it completely, you have to lift the front and pull further. If yours doesn't do this, you may need to bend parts of it a little, as you surmised.
 That said, I never pull out my oven shelf. I have Kevlar Ove Gloves, which make it easy and safe to reach in and take out anything I need to. Besides, I bake most things in silicone rubber bakeware, which sits on an AirBake cookie sheet (because the rubber bakeware is too floppy otherwise)... so I just slide out the cookie sheet with the rubber pan on it.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108115
. Besides, I bake most things in silicone rubber bakeware, which sits on an AirBake cookie sheet (because the rubber bakeware is too floppy otherwise)... so I just slide out the cookie sheet with the rubber pan on it.

Andy, where do you find an Airbake cookie sheet that fits?  They all look too big for my 2003 oven.

Joe Hamm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 108116

"Andy, where do you find an Airbake cookie sheet that fits?  They all look too big for my 2003 oven."

Joe Hamm
Joe
 Although I don't recall exactly where I found my two Airbake sheets, I bought them at separate times, I'm sure it was at one of the big box stores or possibly Bed Bath & Beyond.
 You sometimes see them in sets of three so one of them would surely fit.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 108127
"where do you find an Airbake cookie sheet that fits? They all look too big for my 2003 oven."
 For RV ovens, the 12" x 14" size is the right one. Here it is at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/yk2dv6p>
 Or as Joan pointed out, you can buy a set of three in stores like BB&B, use the middle-sized one in the rig and the other two at home.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108131
"Joan pointed out, you can buy a set of three in stores like BB&B, use the middle-sized one in the rig and the other two at home."

We bought the triple-pack and use one of the large ones at home.
The other large one is used as a heat shield under my Jeep to protect a new air cleaner.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 108137
I had an AirBake cookie sheet on the shelf, but the shelf was in the top position.  I was heating only to 350°, but just before that temperature was reached, there was a loud POP, which I presume was the AirBake pan warping itself into an awkward shape that further impeded putting my brownie pan on it, so I took it out.  After it cooled, it went back to its normal configuration.  Also, the rack was in the top position, and at the last minute, I decided to just go ahead and bake on the permanent shelf - BIG MISTAKE!  And now there is a thin layer of charcoal on the bottom of my brownies!  Grrrr!
 In Gertie, I used oven bricks that fit neatly into their own pan, and they worked well, but I haven't seen any lately that would fit the oven.  I can't remember what happened to mine - probably in a storage room somewhere.  Note to self:  Google up a replacement set.  Or maybe a pizza stone that is the right size, although most are 14 x 16.
 I found 'em at Amazon  ;->   Six 6-inch tiles that can be used in any configuration.  But don't seem to have the pan to hold them in place.

http://tinyurl.com/yc6ubjj>

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Writing again tonight from Calico, California, where the hills lit up bright red just as the sun disappeared

That said, I never pull out my oven shelf. I have Kevlar Ove Gloves, which make it easy and safe to reach in and take out anything I need to. Besides, I bake most things in silicone rubber bakeware, which sits on an AirBake cookie sheet (because the rubber bakeware is too floppy otherwise)... so I just slide out the cookie sheet with the rubber pan on it.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]