Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel noise (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Wheel noise
Yahoo Message Number: 108060
2005 Rear Bath, with Safe-T-Plus recently installed at Henderson's
 A problem cropped up yesterday while we were driving.  Briefly, as we drove up Highway 58 to Tehachapi, every time we would pass along a concrete divider wall, there was a high-pitched squeak, which seemed to come from the driver side front wheel.  By putting the engine into neutral, and letting the rig coast for a few seconds at a relatively constant speed while the engine RPM dropped, it seemed that the squeak was related to the rotation rate of the tire, and not the engine RPM.
There is no noise discernible at low speed. Could it possibly be a bearing or some other problem with the wheel?
 Does anyone have any personal experience with a competent repair shop in the Mojave/Barstow/Needles areas to look into this for us?  Failing having a personal recommendation, we plan to call Coach-Net for their recommendation.

Virtual hugs,
 Judie (2005 RB)   for Calico, California to photograph the full moon tonight

Re: Wheel noise
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108066
I had a squeak similar to what you discribe with a 2002 Ford chasis.  My squeak was related to the brakes.  Through trial and error, I figured out that the squeak went away when the brakes were applied.  It turned out to be a caliper that would not fully release when the brakes were not being applied.  It was a $500 dollar repair.  So you might try playing with the brakes to see if that has an impact on your squeak.

Rob Adams Boise, ID
2015 Mid Bath

Re: Wheel noise
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108070
Judie Ashford  wrote: as we drove up Highway 58 to Tehachapi, every time we would pass along a concrete divider wall, there was a high-pitched squeak, which seemed  to come from the driver side front wheel.  By putting the engine into  neutral, and letting the rig coast for a few seconds at a relatively constant speed while the engine RPM dropped, it seemed that the squeak  was related to the rotation rate of the tire, and not the engine RPM. There is no noise discernible at low speed. Could it possibly be a bearing or some other problem with the wheel? --- The topic of "squeaks" has come up in several past threads.  The problem is that there are several possible causes of and locations for the various "squeaks" and squeals that one hears, and it's not always easy to determine the source or cause of *your* particular "squeak"!
 Squeak causes can range from a loose or poorly-fitting wheel cover to brake problems to a "bad" center driveshaft bearing; if you search the archives ("searchable archives" link on the home page) with the topic "center driveshaft bearing", you'll find many posts on this topic, including a detailed report from Terry Burnes. (My rig (2003) has the center driveshaft bearing problem, and is due to go to the local driveline shop soon!)
 As others have suggested, start with the simplest thing to check, i.e., the wheel covers, but don't be surprised if the squeak is still present after "re-setting" these cheesy buggers! ;-)  Good luck, and please post when you finally diagnose the problem.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home