Skip to main content
Topic: rv winterizing with compressed air (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
rv winterizing with compressed air
Yahoo Message Number: 108022
I'm in the process of winterizing my 92 MB.  I'm assuming there is no factory by pass for the water heater.  If I'm using compressed air to clear the lines can I open the drain on the water heater (it's already empty) and avoid installing a bypass kit?  I live in Seattle and we don't see the deep cold of other areas of the country but we will typically get several days in a row below freezing.
1992 MB

rv winterizing with compressed air
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 108023
A bypass valve on the water heater is used to prevent antifreeze from getting into the heater. You are "bypassing" the water heater. Every water heater that I have ever come across was six gallons so you would be saving six gallons of antifreeze when winterizing.

Since you are using compressed air to blow out your lines a bypass valve is unnecessary in your case. Of course you must drain the hot water heater as you stated in your post.

Edward Abrams

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: rv winterizing with compressed air
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 108024

"I'm in the process of winterizing my 92 MB.  I'm assuming there is no factory by pass for the water heater.  If I'm using compressed air to clear the lines can I open the drain on the water heater (it's already empty) and avoid installing a bypass kit?  I live in Seattle and we don't see the deep cold of other areas of the country but we will typically get several days in a row below freezing."

What Edward says is true - you have to drain the tank.  Your LD manual may have a step-by-step procedure for using compressed air to winterize.  My '02 manual does.  If not, here's a link:  http://tinyurl.com/6om2h8  One tip:  Make sure you leave a hot water faucet open (with the water pump off) when you take the drain plug out of the hot water heater.  Also, with the h w tank empty, it's a good time to clean out the residue in the bottom with a cleaning wand.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB