Skip to main content
Topic: Andy's observation, more info on Ed's (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Andy's observation, more info on Ed's
Yahoo Message Number: 107968
I wasn't aware that the engine didn't charge accordingly --[battery low, alternator ups output to get it back to full strength]. So, that puts the kabosh on that idea.

The item Ed suggested doesn't seem to need to be plugged in to 120v...from what i read/understand, it uses incoming charge off the solar to bring up or charge the engine battery, then has a sensor to stop the flow thru when not needed... here's a snip of the web page. Does anyone see a problem with this solution?

MY HOUSE AND STARTING BATTERIES ARE LOCATED A LONG DISTANCE APART FROM EACH OTHER. HOW DO I CONNECT THEM TO TRIK-L-START™?You can easily connectTrik-L-Start™ at your battery isolator relay or switch, thereby eliminating the need to route long wires to each battery bank. This is also a convenient place to permanently mount the Trik-L-Start™ unit, using the included quick-crimp ring terminals and mounting screws.
The installation instructions describe how to locate your isolator relay or switch, how to identify each wire connected to it, and how to connect Trik-L-Start™ to it.

DOES TRIK-L-START™ EVER NEED TO BE TURNED OFF OR DISCONNECTED?No, most owners leave Trik-L-Start™ connected all the time. Unlike some AC-powered chargers, Trik-L-Start™ causes no significant drain on your batteries when it's not charging, thereby avoiding the need to disconnect it. Also, Trik-L-Start™ does not interfere with the normal operation of your alternator while your engine is running. A built-in Schottky blocking diode prevents starting battery discharge whenever you're drawing house battery power. Thus, your engine always has full cranking power, even if your house batteries are completely discharged.

WILL TRIK-L-START™ OVERCHARGE MY BATTERIES? No.
Trik-L-Start™ maintains your starting battery(s) at approximately 0.2 volts below your house battery voltage. This is considered to be the ideal setting for starting batteries, and virtually eliminates water loss and gassing.
Maintained in this manner, your starting battery(s) will last for many years.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING? Trik-L-Start™ is effectively disconnected from both sets of batteries whenever the engine is running, and will not affect your alternator's normal operation.

I HAVE SOLAR PANELS CONNECTED TO MY HOUSE BATTERIES, BUT THEY DON'T KEEP MY STARTING BATTERY(S) CHARGED. WILL TRIK-L-START™ FIX THIS?Yes, Trik-L-Start™ will divert part of the current produced by your solar panels to keep your starting battery(s) charged. This makes Trik-L-Start™ perfect for long-term storage applications in areas where shore power isn't available.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: Andy's observation, more info on Ed's
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 107969
"The item Ed suggested doesn't seem to need to be plugged in to 120v... from what I read/understand, it uses incoming charge off the solar to bring up or charge the engine battery..."
 Yes, it can. TRIK-L-START is mainly intended for people who have their rigs plugged into shore power while in storage. In that situation, it diverts a bit of the current coming from the converter to the engine battery in order to keep it charged. However, they go on to say that if you have solar panels, "TRIK-L-START will divert part of the current produced by your solar panels to keep your starting battery(s) charged." So it should work in either situation. What it *won't* do is keep your engine battery charged in the absence of some external power source--120VAC or solar power.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"