Skip to main content
Topic: Exhaust leak (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Exhaust leak
Yahoo Message Number: 105867
Greetings fellow group members, I think I am experiencing an exhaust leak especially on engine start-up.
From what I have read in past messages it is not unusual for exhaust manifold/bolts on mid 90's vintage 7.5L Ford engines to have this problem. What I'd like to know is what are the consequences of not getting this condition repaired.

TIA

Dennis Gloe

Re: Exhaust leak
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105869
wrote: What I'd like to know is what are the consequences of not getting this condition repaired.
--- Potential Injury or death to you, your passengers, and the occupants of other vehicles that might be in your path when that leaking exhaust manifold fills the cab with carbon monoxide and you become disoriented, confused, and/or pass out and lose control of your vehicle. If the exhaust manifold *is* leaking, it would seem prudent to have it repaired as quickly as possible!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105870
"From what I have read in past messages it is not unusual for exhaust manifold/bolts on mid 90's vintage 7.5L Ford engines to have this problem. "

Dennis
 Ford' 7.5L V-8, better known as the 460, regularly suffers from warped exhaust manifolds, which lead to broken mounting studs.
The end stud, at the rear of the manifold, is the most common one to break and is a real pain to replace, especially if the stud needs to be drilled out. It is also common to break more studs while removing the manifold.
 Several years ago, I helped a friend repair the leaking manifold on his Ford 460 Class-C MH.
We replaced the broken stud and drilled all of the manifold's mounting holes slightly oversize to give them room to expand. This repair lasted about two years, or about 15,000 miles, before another stud broke.
At that point he installed Banks headers (and all new studs) and did not have any more problems. We both agreed that if we had known had known how much work is was involve, he would have changed the manifolds the first time around.
 This is not a project to take on your self unless you are an advanced home mechanic and have access to the needed tools. We used a small pneumatic angle drill to drill out the broken stud. Access is very tight, even with the doghouse removed.
 The various Ford and RV forums should have numerous postings on this topic.

Let us know how it works out and good luck.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105874
"What I'd like to know is what are the consequences of not getting this condition repaired."

Brain damage.
 I dunno about you, but at my age I have few enough gray cells in working order that I don't want to sacrifice any more. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Exhaust leak
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105880
My previous 1987 SOB Ford 460 had exhaust leaks when I bought it.  Yes, there were several broken manifold bolts.  I had a set of Doug Thorley headers installed after removing the broken bolts and drove it another 30K trouble free miles before I sold it.  At that time, Doug Thorley was the only manufacturer that made headers for the 460 in a van chassis.  There may be others now.

Glen w/SOB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]