Skip to main content
Topic: Air compressor recommendations? (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Air compressor recommendations?
Yahoo Message Number: 105581
I have a 12 volt air compressor I bought from an auto parts store a couple of years ago. It works all right but is very slow.
 Does anyone have a recommendation for what you'd consider a really good-quality compressor? Thanks much.

Chuck

Re: Air compressor recommendations?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105583
" I have a 12 volt air compressor I bought from an auto parts store a couple of years ago. It works all right but is very slow. "

I opted to get a small 120V compressor w/small to medium size tank.

1. Small enough to fit in one of your compartments
2. It is useful at home when not RVing
3. You can run it off the generator, if necessary, on the road.
4. Besides keeping your tires up, it is useful for blowing out the backside of the refrig. or other hard to get to places.
5. It is much faster than the 12V models

I have used it quite a lot in ten years and it works fine.

Chris Hunter

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105584
wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for what you'd consider a really good-quality compressor? ---

I've used an old version of the 2-gallon Campbell-Hausfeld FP2048 for several years; it's not particularly speedy, but, with its top pressure of 100 pounds, it does the job of airing my tires.  The compressor is sturdy, reliable, not too expensive, and it is "sized" to store easily in the compartment of my 23.5'.
 http://tinyurl.com/lj7yy5    FP 2048  (2 gallon)

Another option is the pancake-style, 135-pound pressure maximum FP2080:
 http://tinyurl.com/llmkxj  FP 2080 (4 gallon)

Either/both come with a pigtail air hose, a short (maybe 6' or so) attached power cord and a standard half-ball chuck: I switched out the OEM chuck with a Milton straight foot inline chuck only because I can hang on to it!
 http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S693-Dual-Straight-Chuck/dp/B000COS0PG

(I also carry a 15' 14-gauge [and a 25' 12-gauge, just in case!] extension cord.
 JMHO (others' experiences my differ), but I've never seen a 12V air compressor that is up to the job of airing a higher-pressure light truck or RV tire; I've seen several of these little guys fry themselves while laboring to air a tire. And, many of the 12V compressors have a cheesy snap-on valve attachment that leaks.  If a Powertank is too expensive or too tall to store in any outside compartment in your rig (the 30" high 20-pounder that the manufacturer states is what one needs to air up higher-pressure tires), you might want to look at one of the Campbell-Hausfeld products.

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105586
Like Joan, I used the 2-gallon Campbell-Hausfeld FP2048 compressor.  It worked great for airing up the tires.
 It was one of the few that would fit in the forward storage bin under the dinette in the 26.5MB.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105587
I highly recommend:

http://www.powertank.com/

An excellent system, tho too pricey for me.
Two weeks back, I saw a Jeeper using a dive tank for the same purpose.
Those hold up to 3,000psi. That's a lot of air.
I am going to try to locate a used tank, change the fittings and mount it under the rear.

Also from time-to-time, you may see on eBay a Q-Maxx High Volume 12 Volt Portable Air Compressor They come in one and two cylinder models. They sell for $25 to over a hundred, depending on demand.

I carry one in the Jeep and it will air up the LD tires also.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105589
We went through trying several: a 12v model, don't remember brand, was so slow one could fall asleep waiting for it to start - then we got one of the 2 gal, 100psi 120v and it again was slow and just would not air the LD tires properly -
 We had on hand a DeWalt 2 gal, 150PSI which weights about 28#'s - it now rides in the rear of Midnight Roadie and that rascal airs the tires ASAP - No messing around -

Highly recommend getting 150PSI model so don't have to muck around

Virginia, Jim and Cricket Starr and Midnight Roadie Heading to the ABQ Balloon Fiesta in 24 days

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105590
An excellent system, tho too pricey for me.
Two weeks back, I saw a Jeeper using a dive tank for the same purpose.
Those hold up to 3,000psi. That's a lot of air.
I am going to try to locate a used tank, change the fittings and mount it under the rear.

You can put together a CO2 system for quite a bit less than what Powertank charges.
 The advantage of CO2 over compressed air is that CO2 liquefies at normal temperatures and reasonable pressures, while air just compresses.  It takes a much heavier steel tank to hold the 3000 psi of a scuba tank.  Under normal temperatures, a CO2 tank is at about 850 psi.  As you use CO2, the liquid CO2 becomes a gas.  The pressure in a CO2 tank remains pretty much constant until all of the CO2 has turned to gas.  The pressure in a scuba tank will drop with use.  It is my understanding that the volume of CO2 at typical tire pressures that can be drawn from a tank of liquid CO2 is much greater that the same volume of air that can be drawn from a scuba tank.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105592
Art, This sounds good to me.

Not taking Chemistry has kept me ignorant for nearly a lifetime.
I am willing to risk the wrath of the greenies and go this route.
Sources of tanks and where would one get a refill? Industrial Gas Outlets?

Please PM me if you feel this is too far off-topic.

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:50:52 -0000, older_fossil no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 105593
Highly recommend getting 150PSI model so don't have to muck around

=======

I forgot to mention that I dry camp virtually all the time and that's why I was looking for a 12V compressor. I appreciate your suggestion.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 105596
Check at Costco. They've occasionally had some good 12 volt, made outta metal good ones, there in the past, though I don't know for sure if they do right now. The Q-max was about  $50 \when I got mine.
 This one is $30 at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96068

though I don't have experience with it.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 105597
Sears has two small 120v compressors for under $60. I use one and it works fine for topping off the tire pressure.
Item#  02875117000 75117
Item#  00915036000 15036

The one I have is the 15036 and it fits neatly

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 105605
wrote:

I forgot to mention that I dry camp virtually all the time and that's why I was looking for a 12V compressor.
---

Chuck, I dry camp most of the time, too, and just fire up the rig's generator if/when I need to use the compressor.  Your rig is generator-less?  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 105606
First, SCUBA vs CO2 tanks... You usually need a scuba certification card to refill a scuba tank.  Such tanks come in aluminum and steel, and require visual inspection every year and hydrostatic testing every 5 years.  If your tank is not current with such inspections no scuba shop will fill them.  As to air pressure, that ranges from 2400 PSI to 5000 psi, depending on the equipment.  A "normal" tank is probably aluminum, 3000 psi, and delivers 80 cubic feet of air at 1 atmosphere.  75 psi is more or less 5 atmospheres, thus your yield at 75 psi would be about 16 cubic feet of air, enough to fill several of your tires.  At those pressures, do NOT screw around with cheap fittings, and never, ever try to tap into the tank or weld it.  Even oven baking an enamel finish has been enough to degrade a tank so that it burst upon being filled.  When such a tank bursts with anything close to 3000 psi, it will do serious damage to anything around it.  I would NEVER mount such a tank on the underside of my rig where it might be struck by stones, subject to salt erosion, or subject to heat if too close to an exhaust system.  As a former diver, I had all the equipment I needed to use this system in my rig.  After careful consideration, and knowing the dangers associated with a high pressure tank, I opted for a compressor.
I know almost nothing about CO2 systems.
Second, I bought a 2 gallon 120v compressor from Pep Boys recently.
It cost less than $100 for the compressor, hose and fittings.  It all fits in my outside compartment below the furnace on my 2008 MB.
Ken F. (still at Baxter SP in Maine)
'08 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 105624
"You can put together a CO2 system for quite a bit less than what Powertank charges."
 I often lower the Jeep's tire pressure when exploring rough roads. It reduces the impacts and harshness of the ride, protecting both the machine and passengers. Years ago. I used electric pumps but even the biggest pumps took a long time to reinflate the tires About four years, I started using CO2 to reinflate the tires and have been happy with the results I bought a 10-lb kit from Poly Performance.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Kits-p-57.htm
 The tank's regulator provides high airflow rates, just like a service station's air chuck. It's enough to run air impact tools.
I often use the tank for pneumatic nail guns, when they are needed for a small job or in a place where 120-VAC is not available to run an electric air compressor.
 Refills are available at industrial gas and/or welding supply shops.
C02 is also available at almost any keg beer supply.
A problem with CO2 is knowing how much is left in the tank. The tanks do not use pressure gauges since the tank's pressure does not vary until the tank is nearly empty.
If you weight the tank when it was empty and then print the weight on the tank, you can then use a digital bathroom scale to measure how much CO2 remains.
 IMO, CO2 is overkill for most LD owners unless they tow an off-road vehicle.
I carry a mid size 12-volt compressor and seldom use it.
When checking the pressure at home, where compressed air is available, I always set air the tires 5-psi over what the chart indicates. This more than compensates for the tiny amount of air lost each time the tire pressure is measured, even on a multi-week trip.
 On long drives, I check the tires every few hours, during rest stops, with an infrared temperature gauge. In less than a minute, all ten tires can be tested for excessive temperatures, which might indicate a tire problem.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 105630
wrote: I forgot to mention that I dry camp virtually all the time and that's why I was looking for a 12V compressor.
--- Chuck, I dry camp most of the time, too, and just fire up the rig's generator if/when I need to use the compressor.  Your rig is generator-less?  ;-)

Joan
Yes, Joan, I wasn't very clear in posing my original question. I should have indicated I DRY CAMP all the time and I have NO GENERATOR. I'm sorry for my confusion to to all of you who are trying to be helpful. In the future I'll try to be more thorough with my questions. ~ Chuck

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 105632
On long drives, I check the tires every few hours, during rest stops, with an infrared temperature gauge. In less than a minute, all ten tires can be tested for excessive temperatures, which might indicate a tire problem.

Larry
---- Thanks, Larry, can you please tell me more about the IR temp. gauge you mentioned? I've searched but can't seem to find buying information about them on Google. Thank you. ~ Chuck

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 105633
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:09:39 -0000, "chuckx6" wrote:

Thanks, Larry, can you please tell me more about the IR temp. gauge you mentioned? I've searched but can't seem to find buying information about them on Google. Thank you. ~ Chuck
Not Larry, but bumper posted this link a few days ago http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 105634
"Thanks, Larry, can you please tell me more about the IR temp. gauge you  mentioned? I've searched but can't seem to find buying information about them on Google."

Chuck
 I started using infrared thermometers 20-years ago at work. At that time handheld laser models cost several hundred dollars.
Among other things, we used them to check hot bearings in hard to get to locations. If you can see something, you lay the laser dot on it to measure its temperature.
About five years ago, Radio Shack started selling a small non-laser infrared thermometer. It is no longer available but here is a link showing the one I bought.
http://tinyurl.com/na7jyb I realize how useful it would be for checking tire temperature while traveling. I still use the RS thermometer but always wished it had the laser pointer that expensive commercial models have.
A couple of years ago I found and bought a Harbor Freight infrared-infrared thermometer. I was doubtful of how well it was made. From personal experience, I knew that Harbor Fright sells a lot of low-buck Chinese junk that is guaranteed to fail when used hard.
It turned out to be well made and has held up find in frequent usage.
For $25, it's a good deal.
http://tinyurl.com/2sg79f
 I use the thermometer, while traveling, to check each tire's tread temperature during rest stops.
It is very handy for troubleshooting a wide variety of mechanical problems including the cooling system.

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 105635
snip I started using infrared  I use the thermometer, while traveling, to check each tire's tread temperature during rest stops.
It is very handy for troubleshooting a wide variety of mechanical problems including the cooling system.
Larry
Larry, what temperatures are you looking for that are safe? Or do you just compare them to each other and check out the one that is higher than the others.

Jerry 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 105637
"what temperatures are you looking for that are safe? Or do you just compare them to each other and check out the one that is higher than the others."

Jerry
 The tires temperature varies according to the LD's cruising speed and pavement temperature. I try to read the surface of the tread on each tire. This does require bending over a little to read the inside duals at the same angle. Consistency in reading the temps is important to getting an accurate view.
When checking the tires, I look for tires running at a much higher temperature than the others. If a tire is 10-15 degrees hotter than the norm, check it with a pressure gauge.
A low tire will flex and heat up more than a properly inflated one.
 BTW, the LD's passenger-side rear tires always run hotter due to the proximity of the exhaust pipe. The inside tire is most prone to blow out due to higher temperature of its operating environment.

Larry
Larry

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 105646
I have a 12 volt air compressor I bought from an auto parts store a couple of years ago. It works all right but is very slow.
 Does anyone have a recommendation for what you'd consider a really good-quality compressor? Thanks much.

Chuck
-------
 Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. For my purposes I think I've settled on a Q-Maxx 12V compressor, and since I've learned about measuring tire pressure while driving in a quick way I'm also going to get one of the few infrared heat sensor tools several have suggested. That was new information to me. And thanks, Larry, for your explanation of how you use that gauge to calculate what tire may need inflating. Since I just sprung for tires to the tune of $250 each at Costco I do want to keep them running as long as their age will allow.
 This is a great site and I appreciate all the knowledgeable information. Terrific help!

Chuck in Bellevue, WA

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 105651
"chuckx6"  wrote: "....since I've learned about measuring tire pressure while driving in a quick way I'm also going to get one of the few infrared heat sensor tools several have suggested." --- (For tire-related uses), an infrared sensor doesn't measure tire pressure; it reads the surface temperature of the tire at a particular point, e.g., at the center or edge of the tread and at various points on the sidewall.  For RVers, a precision-point infrared temperature gauge is most useful for "taking the tires' temperatures" (at the same point on each tire) when the tires are hot from driving to check if one or more tires are running *significantly* above the temperatures of the others. (There will be some variation in the temperatures of the steer tires and each dual.)  A very hot-running tire indicates underinflation; underinflation and an overweight rig are the biggest tire killers.
 Suggestions....weigh your rig (an all four corners) fully loaded and ready for the road; determine the correct tire pressures for this load from the tire manufacturer's recommendations.  Inflate each tire on the same axle to the same pressures (highest pressures recommended by the tire manufacturer for the particular load).  Check the tires' pressures when the tires are *cold*, i.e., in the morning before driving; ambient temperature, the tires' being exposed to sun, and even a very short trip can raise the tires' temperatures enough the skew the base readings.  *Never* bleed air from a hot tire, thinking that it's "overinflated"; a tire will gain several pounds of pressure after driving.  This is normal, and (if the tires are inflated correctly for the load in the first place) the pressure increases are built into the tires' capability.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home