Skip to main content
Topic: New, with no book. (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
New, with no book.
Yahoo Message Number: 105568
We just bought an '84 LD, our first RV.
We don't know how to handle the plumbing, light the water heater, etc.
The original owner left us all kinds of necessities, but no owner's manual. I've read all of Andy's tips, but that will help make things better, not tell me how to do the basics. Is there a book on the market that I should start with, or ...?

Re: New, with no book.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105573
Someone on this site surely has a Lazy Daze factory manual. Why not offer to pay copying and shipping costs.

Stan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105574
There we go, the first thing I learned here was what to ask for.
Thanks Stan

I would love to have a factory manual, and happily pay copying and shipping costs. Mine is a 1984 20ft RD diesel,

from what I have read it is unlikely that there were 2.
I suspect that what I need will be in any manual from a couple of years either way?

Thanks to all GP

Someone on this site surely has a Lazy Daze factory manual. Why not offer to pay copying and shipping costs.

Stan

We just bought an '84 LD, our first RV.
The original owner left us all kinds of necessities, but no owner's manual. I've read all of Andy's tips, but that will help make things better, not tell me how to do the basics. Is there a book on the market that I should start with, or ...?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105576
First thing to establish is the floorplan. In that vintage, they were the:

FL (front lounge), bath across the back RL (rear lounge), couch and chairs in the back, bath behind driver TK (twin-king), similar to RL but two couch/beds MP (multiplan), bath in rear corner driver's side

Knowing this will make pinpointing components and problems easier.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105579
I think in the 20 foot version they called it a rear dinette.
Laid out like the RL, but shorter, and one bed across.
No chairs

Thanks for the help GP

__

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105580
"I've read all of Andy's tips, but that will help make things better, not tell me how to do the basics. Is there a book on the market that I should start with, or...?"
 I'm sure somebody in the group must have an owner's manual of that vintage that they can copy for you. But in addition, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Bob Livingston's "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual." It isn't an owner's manual, but it does cover all of your rig's appliances and systems from a troubleshooting point of view... so if you can't get your hands on a Lazy Daze manual, you can still figure out how to operate them from Livingston's book.

http://tinyurl.com/np42yg>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105917
Hi Stan, I have also just purchased an 84 LD and pretty much have 3 legal sized envelopes filled with all the original paperwork, books, work orders and everything.

Let me take a look

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105918
Hello Bob and Cathy!! I'm the newbie with no book. I understand that the owner's manual starts at the beginning, and I need that. I would be willing to pay postage both ways. Scan it, and send you back an electronic copy as well as your manual; or, any other way that works for you.
I took Andy's advice and got a copy of Livingston's book, but that is more focused on trouble shooting than basic operation.
My LD-RD was

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 105925
Thanks John I will start copying the book this afternoon on my lunch break.
 email me at  with your mailing address.  Again, will not get off the Ranch till Tuesday, so will get to the post office then.  I think there is a "box" one price mailer for about $5.95 flat rate.  I'll let you know.
 As for the screws, I understand your point, but won't the rust "bleed" through?
 And will a paint sho actually paint over them?  There are so many issues to deal with - we're trying to keep thing simple!

Thanks for your help.  Talk to you later.

Cathi>

Hello. I am also

Re: bloated posts
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 105930
Folks, it's getting out of hand again. I'm talking about replying to a post and including the entire text of the previous post, which in many cases includes the entire text of the post it was replying to, etc., ad infinitum. We had one post today that contained 190 lines of previously posted text--some of which we'd already read three or four times--plus a one-line reply.
 Not everybody has broadband, folks, and even those who do aren't fond of scrolling through hundreds of lines of already-read text. I know people who've stopped reading this group because of this--no kidding!
 So please--don't just let your software blindly copy the entire previous post into your reply. Copy and paste in a few words or a sentence, if you like, to show what you're responding to... but delete the rest, so we don't have to re-re-re-read it. Your fellow Lazy Dazers will be grateful. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 105932
Hey Im hopeing im not the violater here, i am as dumb as a post when it comes to computers. I have never cut and pasted anything. But your saying Andy that if one is using a laptop, which I belirve is broadband, then I should be in the clear?? If not I will bite the bullet and step aside...no problem! John in Orange Ca.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 105934
"your saying Andy that if one is using a laptop, which I belirve is broadband, then I should be in the clear?"
 No, I'm not saying that. First, "broadband" means a fast internet connection--it has nothing to do with what kind of computer you have. An old computer might be connected to a DSL or cable modem that gives it a very fast internet connection... or a brand new computer might be connected to the internet via a phone line at a very slow speed.
 What I'm saying is simple: don't re-post paragraphs of text that have already been posted to the group in a previous message. If your email program or Yahoo fills in all that junk when you create a reply, just delete it. Here's how:
 Before you start typing your reply, hold down the control key (Windows) or command key (Mac) and press "A" to select (highlight) all the old text. Then press delete or backspace to get rid of it and start your message with a clean slate. :-)

"I have never cut and pasted anything."
 Well, John, that's kind of like saying you own an RV but you've never camped without hookups. You're missing all the fun! ;-)
 Seriously... find yourself a local adult school or community college class for beginners, or get a "Computers for Dummies" book (yeah, I know the title is insulting, but the books are good), and learn a few basics like copying and pasting. You'll find it makes life lot easier! :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 105937
Hi Andy, Why not just remind the person via his personal email when they do something wrong instead of opening up dialoge to everyone?  It feels kind of uncomfortable.  Maybe a newbie needs a buddy to teach them the ropes?
 As to the getting out of hand...I think I sent a message late last night and had trouble with the computer, actually sent it 2 times in error.  Yup, forgot to delete the text.  Guilty -  I am probably the only offender.
 This is the second time I was reprimanded.  The first time was about asking questions that were already asked.  I am new to forums in general - just learning - so I have been trying to email the folks just personally instead of through the forum, I thought maybe I should keep a low profile.  But that isn't working because I don't get replies that way.

Actually I can't seem to figure out how to use the forum?  There are some questions that may or may not be answered, then there is chit chat, celebrations, announcements, sitings,  I can't seem to find my place here.
 I need help with my LD and it seems this forum readily shares info, but somehow I feel uncomfortable to ask, getting the feeling I am being a bother?

Your point is taken - I'm sorry for the 91 line message.

Cathi

Cathi

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 105940
On Sep 18, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Bob & Cathi T wrote:

Hi Andy, Why not just remind the person via his personal email when they do something wrong instead of opening up dialoge to everyone?  It feels kind of uncomfortable.  Maybe a newbie needs a buddy to teach them the ropes? ...

Hi Cathi,

Andy opens up this particular "dialog" (and a few others) to the forum as a whole at *least* annually. The only purpose of these reminders is to remind folks of resources that already exist and to make people think before hitting the "send" button -- not to reprimand or make a particular someone feel bad.

None of us is perfect; we have *all* been guilty of bad manners and sloppy postings at some time or other, and I for one appreciate Andy's diplomacy and gentle reminders.  The longer you stay tuned, the easier it will be for you to figure out the ropes.  And you will see that Andy seldom, if ever, uses the reprimand button!!

Lorna, Cape Hatteras, NC
2003 RB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 105943
Quote from: Bob & Cathi T"

"It feels kind of uncomfortable.  Maybe a newbie needs a buddy to teach them the ropes?"
 Don't feel uncomfortable. We were all newbies once and we really are a friendly group.
 "Yup, forgot to delete the text.  Guilty -  I am probably the only offender."
 The reason for Andy's gentle reminder is because it happens often - until he reminds us again. When I'm on the road I usually have a very slow connection and if the messages are too long I just can't download them. I give up and miss a lot of useful information. This is an active group with a lot of full time RVers and half timers like me.
 'Actually I can't seem to figure out how to use the forum?  There are some questions that may or may not be answered, then there is chit chat, celebrations, announcements, sitings,  I can't seem to find my place here."
 Nothing special about it ;-). You're doing fine. Pick a name and go back and browse through the old messages some of us posted! I asked a ton of "dumb" questions. I learned a lot that way.

Karen - pining for the road!!!

Re: find one's previous messages?
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 105944
Thanks Karen, I have a question:

Do you know a way to find all the messages you sent personally?
 If I can find the messages I sent, then I can find those and the answers of interest.  I didn't track some of the earlier ones and now I wish I did so that I can forward them to my gmail account under a specific heading.

Is there a way?

Thanks Cathi

Re: find one's previous messages?
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 105945
Quote from: Bob & Cathi T"

"" Do you know a way to find all the messages you sent personally?"
 I'm probably one of the more ignorant members of this group when it comes to computers but if you type your name in the search field it should show you your messages.

Karen

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 105946
"Hey I'm hopeing im not the violater here, i am as dumb as a post when it comes to computers." John: It wasn't you, and it looks like to me you are doing just fine. (of course,  adult ed is not a bad thing.)
 "We had one post today that contained 190 lines of previously posted text--some of which we'd already read three or four times--plus a one-line reply."
 It was my one line reply,  and I can't claim ignorance,  just sloppy.  I am duly chastised and will be on my best behavior.

My apologies to all.
GP

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 105948
Thanks George. I am glad your getting your manuel!!! Then again, not everyone on this site is a rhoades scholar.................

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 105949
Hey, will you guys quit it - it was me.
I hang my head in shame.

Cathi
 "We had one post today  BY CATHI that contained 190 lines of previously posted text--some of which we'd already read three or four times--plus a one-line reply."