Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for Windshield Boot (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Looking for Windshield Boot
Yahoo Message Number: 105513
Does anyone have a Windshield Boot that is in excellent, like-new condition that will fit my 2003 Twin-King?  It has the E-450 chassis.  Please e-mail me directly with your price.  Thanks.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Looking for Windshield Boot
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105517
I am not sure what you mean by a Windshield Boot, but, in our RV Yard Sale, in the files section, I have a mesh windshield cover listed, if that is of interest.

Thanks, Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Re: Looking for Windshield Boot
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105519
"I am not sure what you mean by a Windshield Boot, but, in our RV Yard Sale, in the files section, I have a mesh windshield cover listed, if that is of interest."
 A heavy flannel-backed vinyl windshield cover or "boot" is standard (as I recall) with all recent Lazy Dazes. It's nearly opaque, but does let through a little light of a sickly yellowish color.
 I ditched mine a long time ago in favor of a mesh windshield cover (about $75 from SunPro of Yuma, AZ). It lets through lots of light, but provides complete privacy during the day. At night, I just flip down my cab blanket for privacy.
 The factory-standard vinyl windshield boot does offer better insulation than mesh, so it would be preferable in very cold weather. But I've found that even at freezing outside temperatures, my cab blanket (which is actually a well-stuffed comforter) does a fine job, so I use the mesh windshield boot year round.
 I just love the way the mesh cover floods the front of the rig with light during the day. If you haven't tried one of these, Monica, you might want to consider the one Lee is selling.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Mesh Windshield Covers
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105521
I ditched mine a long time ago in favor of a mesh windshield cover (about $75 from SunPro of Yuma, AZ). It lets through lots of light, but provides complete privacy during the day.
Prices sure have gone up since you got yours Andy - $239 today.
Is yours three piece? I want to be able to open the cab door wo messing with the cover.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Mesh Windshield Covers
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105522
Don,
 I don't know what Andy has exactly, but I think most come as a 3 piece set.  The ones I have are, but they are a different brand (http://www.sunguard.com/).  The other nice thing about them is you can roll your cab windows down and keep bugs out, mostly anyway.
 I also have covers for the 3 large windows in back.  They really help with keeping the interior a bit cooler without blocking your view.

-Victor '91 MB

Re: Mesh Windshield Covers
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105530
"Prices sure have gone up since you got yours Andy - $239 today."
 If you're looking at SunPro's website, they only show three-piece windshield covers for big class A's, which may account for the price you quoted. Call them up and tell them you have a class C on a Ford E450 chassis. When Kate and I bought ours three years ago, they were only $59 apiece (several of us bought at the same time, so Kate wangled a price break). I'd be very surprised if the mesh cover for a Lazy Daze is more than $75 now.
 "Is yours three piece? I want to be able to open the cab door wo messing with the cover."
 No, ours are built just like the Lazy Daze windshield boot: a one-piece wraparound design. You can't open the cab doors from inside once the cover is in place. To be honest, I never had a reason to try. It's easy to open a cab door from outside by lifting a corner of the mesh cover, but again, for me at least that doesn't come up more than once in a blue moon. Once I park, I put on the mesh cover, and from then on I use the coach entry door--there's no need for me to enter the cab.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"