Skip to main content
Topic: No lights on refrig control panel (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
No lights on refrig control panel
Yahoo Message Number: 105492
Help.  I am hoping this is a stupid operator error, but can't seem to get the refrigerator operating in our 2007 RK.
 We went to the storage unit tonight to start up the refrigerator on AC in preparation for a trip this weekend.  We have never had problems with the fridge, although it has been sitting for an extended period of time.  Pushed the on/off button.  No lights on the panel and no interior light.  Checked the plug in the back.  It was loose, so plugged it in better and tried again.
 The interior fridge light now works, but there are no lights on the control panel no matter what buttons I push.  Main fuse for the line to the fridge and the two small fuses in the box on the back of the fridge all appear to be good.
 Turned on the propane and tried to fire it up that way.  Bled the air out of the lines through the stove, etc. I may not have waited long enough, but nothing happened.  We never detected any sparking in the back when pushing the on/off or the auto switch.  Still no lights on the front panel.

Also pushed the GFCI, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Ruthanne Silver 2007 RK

Re: No lights on refrig control panel
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105496
Ruthann, Was your propane turned off at the tank? If yes, it takes several minutes for it feed to the fridge. Can you light the burners on your range? If yes, the propane is feeding thru the lines.
Stan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105497
Ruthann, Was your propane turned off at the tank? If yes, it takes several minutes for it feed to the fridge. Can you light the burners on your range? If yes, the propane is feeding thru the lines.
Stan

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, ruthannethomas  wrote:
Yes, the burners on the range light so the propane is feeding correctly (at least to the range).  It has been awhile since I have used the fridge so can't remember...shouldn't there be some lights on the front display?
 I am off to the storage unit now to play with it some more, although I am not sure what else to try.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105498
ruthannethomas  wrote: Yes, the burners on the range light so the propane is feeding correctly (at least to the range).  It has been awhile since I have used the fridge so can't remember...shouldn't there be some lights on the front display?
 I am off to the storage unit now to play with it some more, although I am not sure what else to try.
--- Ruthanne, if you don't get any definitive answers from the message board, you might try this RV refrigerator troubleshooting page on the RV Mobile website:
 http://www.rvmobile.com/TECH/TROUBLE/TROUBLE.HTM

Good luck!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105499
Pushed the on/off button.  No lights on the panel and no interior light.  Checked the plug in the back.  It was loose, so plugged it in better and tried again.
The control panel and control board need 12VDC to operate.  Was the rig plugged into 110VAC when this problem was happening?  Did you notice if the 12V lights were working normally?  I can't remember if the fridge has a separate 12V fuse.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105501
....I can't remember if the fridge has a separate 12V fuse.

Art
Hi Art - I have a 2007RB - the fridge does have a separate 12V fuse - It is #9 on the panel and it is a 10amp fuse

Virginia Starr & Midnight Roadie

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105504
Ruthanne,
I don't know if this will help, but I noticed you said you pushed the white button on the breaker to reset it. I don't know much about electricity, but I have had problems with my 07 tk and consulted the blue manual which says to press down of the circuit breaker, not the GCIF button, and then up to reset. Maybe this will work for you. I hope so.
Beverly

the front panel.

Also pushed the GFCI, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Ruthanne Silver 2007 RK

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105556
  Ruthanne, I don't know if this will help, but I noticed you said you pushed the white button on the breaker to reset it.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Sorry to be slow to respond, but I have been running around trying to find a solution so as to salvage our plans for the holiday weekend.
 I found an RV repair person who seems very knowledgeable and, more importantly, would look at it before the holiday weekend.  After some checking and some discussion with the Dometic folks, they both decided that the front control panel was bad.  That was very unusual ("That never goes bad", according to Dometic), but both agreed it appeared bad.  Dometic sent a replacement overnight.  The tech put it in and it is now also bad.  There is apparently something bad in the wiring to that board, which also seems very odd.  However, looking for that problem will have to wait until another day.  I told them to put things back together so that we could use Silver this weekend (Yes, I am typing this from a State Park in west Texas).  We are getting by with perishables on ice in a cooler.
 I know this is a long shot, but has anyone had this type of problem?  The current best guess is a worn place on one of the wires that is shorting out either due to rubbing or to rodent gnawing (although we have seen no evidence of pests other than spiders).  Thanks again for your suggestions.  I will let you know how this all turns out.

Ruthanne Silver 2007 RK

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105559
"I found an RV repair person who seems very knowledgeable and, more importantly,... I know this is a long shot, but has anyone had this type of problem?"
Ruthanne

Ruthanne

I know this is a long shot but here goes...
 I recently went through the same scenario, however I knew the cause of my problem but not the fix.
 I started with the fuses, the one on the 'DC' side of the converter fuse/breaker panel and the two on the fridge control board. My checks indicated that the converter fuse was okay. I did find the 3amp fuse on the control board to be bad and consequently replaced it. Still no lights. The 12v at the input to the control board was okay.
 I finally resorted to screaming 'help' to my local RV tech. His 1st check was the fuse at the converter, same as mine. I pointed out to him that the fuse "must" be good because the associated red LED was not lit. He checked it anyway, with a DC probe. "Here's your problem" says he. He pulled the fuse, inserted a new one and 'Walla', fridge is as good as new.
 His comment was that sometimes, especially with the automotive type 'blade' fuses, that even though they may be bad, they do not separate sufficiently to show an open circuit. Ah well, it's a slow day when you learn nothing!!!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105560
I can't remember all the facts on your case here, but I will relate my latest episode with the rig.