Skip to main content
Topic: An inquiry about the for sale list (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
An inquiry about the for sale list
Yahoo Message Number: 105438
Just a suggestion. If you have sold your LD listed in the for sale file, could you kindly remove the post? My wife and I are looking for a different LD and it is frustrating to get sold messages back from inquiries. This is such a great resource! Thanks, Steve

Re: An inquiry about the for sale list
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105440
"fiverwheel"  wrote: If you have sold your LD listed in the for sale file, could you kindly remove the post? My wife and I are looking for a different LD and it is frustrating to get sold messages back from inquiries.

--- I agree. Although I'm not currently in the buy or sell market, I can sure see how frustrating it would be for a prospective buyer to keep chasing down dead leads! "Old" ads for already-sold LDs *and* the ads from people who are no longer seeking to buy a Lazy Daze clutter up the file and divert attention from those ads which are still valid.  JMHO; YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105448
I also agree that the for sale list could be more actively managed.
 I suggested about a year ago when this topic came up that the moderators should delete all of the for sale files once a month or so and announce on the list that this has been done.  Serious sellers could keep a copy of their file and re-post it if the RV is still for sale.

I still believe this would be a good idea.

Barry Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105450
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:10:24 +0200, "Barry Barnes" wrote these inspiring words:

I suggested about a year ago when this topic came up that the moderators should delete all of the for sale files once a month or so and announce on the list that this has been done.  Serious sellers could keep a copy of their file and re-post it if the RV is still for sale.
Or they could edit their post, change an 'a' to a 'b' and then back, save it and the date would would be updated. The Mod would see the date is fresh and leave it alone.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105457
"I suggested about a year ago when this topic came up that the moderators should delete all of the for sale files once a month or so and announce on the list that this has been done."
 About once a month, we delete all for-sale posts older than three months. Because of the slow economy, used rigs--especially older ones--don't sell as quickly as they used to, so a one-month limit would be unduly short, in my judgment.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105459
"I suggested about a year ago when this topic came up that the moderators should delete all of the for sale files once a month or so and announce on the list that this has been done."
 About once a month, we delete all for-sale posts older than three months. Because of the slow economy, used rigs--especially older ones--don't sell as quickly as they used to, so a one-month limit would be unduly short, in my judgment.

If you pay RVT to list your rig they keep it online until it's sold. If you list your RV on Craigslist it lasts for 7 days and then it's removed. There should be some way to keep the listings current here. I confess that I don't know what the answer is but it would be helpful to update more frequently, especially for the potential buyers.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105463
When you log into Yahoo and go to this group, place a For Sale AD does it have an edit and delete feature?
 When I sold my SOB on Craigs List and RVT, I went back and deleted the AD.
 Maybe on edit in the title area you could put, still available or sold.
Then if sold the moderator could delete the AD.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105470
"When you log into Yahoo and go to this group, place a For Sale ad does it have an edit and delete feature?"
 Of course. You can always edit or delete anything that you've posted to the files area. People just... forget.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105474
Don,
 That is also a good idea, but I got the impression before that Andy thought it would be too much trouble for the moderators to selectively delete files.  It would be easier for them to just delete all of the for sale files, and then put the extra work on the serious sellers.  It's not much problem to re-post as long as you keep a copy of the file.  The moderators could even warn in advance that all files would be deleted as of a certain date to allow active sellers to get a copy of their file in case they have lost it.

Barry Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 105477
"I got the impression before that Andy thought it would be too much trouble for the moderators to selectively delete files. It would be easier for them to just delete all of the for sale files, and then put the extra work on the serious sellers."
 Deleting selectively isn't a big deal, because we can quickly scan down the list and see the dates that are too old. And since Yahoo doesn't give us the ability to delete files "en masse," they have to be done one by one... so it would actually take longer to delete them all than to just delete the older ones.
 I certainly sympathize with the folks who are shopping for a used Lazy Daze and find that many of the coaches listed in our for sale section have already been sold. That's gotta be frustrating! Unfortunately, people are forgetting to delete their ads after selling (probably because, as was recently suggested, they're advertising in several different websites and then can't remember all the places where they posted), and repeated pleas over the years haven't changed that situation.
 So I'm thinking of changing the "lifespan" of our for-sale ads from 90 days to 30 days, unless anybody has any strong objections. That'll keep the for-sale list a lot fresher. And of course, if a rig isn't sold within a month, the owner is free to repost the ad for as long as it takes.

hugs, Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 105479
While I agree with deleting old Ads I think 30 days is too quick.
 OTOH, I don't have a lot sympathy with those who are upset when they find an LD is sold. I went through this recently and did not think finding a rig sold is a big deal.  Just my opinion. I guess my threshold pain is above average. Perhaps that's expected after living with a redhead for 50 years :o)

best, paul

PS> We actually celebrated our 50th August 29. See:
 http://www.lazydazers.com/index.cfm?fa=ShowItem&ID=2903

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 105493
At 01:34 PM 9/1/2009, you wrote:

If you list your RV on Craigslist it lasts for 7 days and then it's removed.
That rule may be different, depending on where you live. All our ads stay up for 30 days, regardless of what they are for, and then disappear. Or we can remove them sooner if we like.

Sonsie No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.76/2342 - Release Date: 09/02/09 18:03:00

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 105495
"So I'm thinking of changing the "lifespan" of our for-sale ads from 90 days to 30 days, unless anybody has any strong objections. That'll keep the for-sale list a lot fresher. And of course, if a rig isn't sold within a month, the owner is free to repost the ad for as long as it takes." hugs, Andy
 A 30 day posting makes sense to me.  It was no problem to edit and re-post thelisting we had for our '02 LD, as I had saved the original, as suggested in the "How to list your LD for sale" information.
 Hint, hint...It was also no problem for me to go back and delete our listing after the LD sold. ;^)

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 105500
Andy

As a potential buyer I have a couple of thoughts.
 There are two ways of looking at this. If you are looking to buy and call only to find a rig is sold then it could be a little discorageing.
However if a seller gets discouraged at having to repost their add every 30 days, then there is a rig a buyer my well never have a chance to become aware of. I think 30 days is a little too quick. We need to remember some of the adds are by people that have to deal with posting while sick or even

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 105502
We should work this problem from both ends. When you make a call to find out that the RV has been sold, you could kindly remind the poster to cancel the ad so others will not call.
Dan

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 105503
Dan That's a fair statement however I don't think I have ran into calling and finding a unit already sold. Of course I don't start calling everyone on the list. I call on those units I have a specific interest

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 105506
"if a seller gets discouraged at having to repost their ad every 30 days..."
 Anyone who's selling a motorhome has a powerful financial incentive--tens of thousands of dollars worth!--to do what's necessary to find a buyer. If reposting an ad is too much trouble, then they weren't serious about selling in the first place. In practice, I don't think you have to worry about that happening.
 Besides, if a rig doesn't sell in thirty days, the seller is probably going to want to adjust the price, which would mean reposting the ad anyway.

Andy Baird