Skip to main content
Topic: Hot Water Heater Darin Tool (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Hot Water Heater Darin Tool
Yahoo Message Number: 105406
There was a post earlier about connecting a reinforced toilet tank hose and valve to flush the hot water heater. I can't find it. Any Help?

Thanks

Re: Hot Water Heater Darin Tool
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105425
"There was a post earlier about connecting a reinforced toilet tank hose and valve to flush the hot water heater. I can't find it. Any Help?"

Tim
 Instead of installing a drain valve, I prefer to use a flushing tool to breakup and remove calcium deposits that just flushing does not remove.
Remove the plastic plug using a ratchet, extension and the proper size socket to fit the plug.  Removing the plug allows much better water flow than a valve, and, more importantly, provides access to the tank's interior.

Use a Tank Saver Flushing Tool, available at Camping World for $10.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tank-saver-flushing-tool/14677 http://www.khulsey.com/rv_info/review_rv_water_heater_flushing_tool.html

The tool is hooked to a hose and them pushed inside the tank and actively rotated and move in and out. The soft plastic tool will not damage the interior, instead, it breaks ups calcium deposits. Turn the water pump on to flush out the newly loosened particles. You will see hundreds of small pieces of calcium on your driveway when you are done.
I like to flush the tank once or twice a year.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105426
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:44:13 -0000, "lw5315us" wrote:

Instead of installing a drain valve, I prefer to use a flushing tool to breakup and remove calcium deposits that just flushing does not remove.
I would like to second that advise.
 Perhaps a drain value has appeal as it is difficult to remove the plug wo the proper tools?

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105428
The drain valve that I installed  is just for draining. Those of us who rarely encounter hard water don't need special flushing setups. I was able to remove the old plastic drain plug with my bare hands, but it was inconvenient and splashy.

Joanne

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105429
wrote: Perhaps a drain value has appeal as it is difficult to remove the plug wo the proper tools? --- An 8" crescent wrench works fine for me to remove the water heater drain plug.  Just go *easy* to avoid shearing off the plug head; it is a very tedious chore to dig the plastic threads out!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105432
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:51:57 -0000, "joanne0012" wrote these inspiring words:

I was able to remove the old plastic drain plug with my bare hands,
WOW! I will not be messing with you Joanne

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147311
Hi Joanne,

I love this idea for the hot water heater drain!  I purchased each of the three precise parts you specified, but even though I got a ½" nipple with the same part number, it appears that the opening, after removing the hot water heater plug, is too small for the nipple.  I re-checked your photos, though, and I'm not sure that you removed anything other than the plug.  Do you know what I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147314
In a pinch I have used channel locks (big pliers) but prefer using a socket with an extension.  Here in the mid Atlantic I often see seatmate come out if I do a good enough flush.  Now days I tend to dump my hot water tank (and fresh water) if I am letting the RV sit for more than a week.  It keeps the seatmate low and also keeps the lines fresh because city water anti bacteria chemicals (chlorine and the like)  bubbles out after a few days.  Water with no chemicals is not bad in of itself, but I cant help but feel water just sitting in a tank is not good.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147318
"I tend to dump my hot water tank (and fresh water) if I am letting the RV sit for more than a week. It keeps the seatmate low..."

John, I must be having a mental lapse, because I can't quite seem to grasp this. Can you clarify what "seatmate" you're referring to?

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147319
I think he is referring to sediment.  Simple misspelling,

Barry

, I must be having a mental lapse, because I can't quite  seem to grasp this. Can you clarify what "seatmate" you're referring  to?

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 147320
Sediment?
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 147321
Guilty. I messed up on the spelling.   One of these days I'll learn to take a closer look at what I poke out of the keyboard.   Sorry John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 147323
Guilty. I messed up on the spelling.   One of these days I'll learn to  take a closer look at what I poke out of the keyboard.   Sorry John

Dam keyboard keeps doing what we tell it to do not whan we want it to do.

A MEN:

Re: Hot Water Heater Darin ("Drain"!)Tool
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 147324
This is quite funny--I just realized that the very subject line of this thread contains a misspelling.  I was wondering what a "darin" tool was, and then realized Joanne meant "drain."

In any case, I recently posted a question about this project to Joanne:

After removing the drain plug, the opening seems to small for the ½" nipple that Joanne describes.  I'm certain I have the actual part number she used.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?  Do I need to remove more than the plug itself?

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 147327
Heh heh--everybody guessed it but me. I knew I was missing something! Thanks, guys.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 147336
I installed a 1/4 turn boiler drain valve years ago--I had to cut off part of the handle but it works in that small space.

Bob 1998 30ft IB NE-29

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 147365
It  may not be you.  Autocorrect (autocorrupt) can be blamed  too.

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE