Skip to main content
Topic: Which Paint? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Which Paint?
Yahoo Message Number: 105316
Can someone please refresh my memory on which kind of paint to use on the escape hatch to keep it from cracking from the sun?  Or..does it matter? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

Judy Wms.

Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze"  and

White '09 Scion  "Puppy Daze"

And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Which Paint?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105318
"Can someone please refresh my memory on which kind of paint to use on the escape hatch to keep it from cracking from the sun? Or..does it matter?"

Judy

I use white gloss enamel spray paint, usually Rustoleum.
You could also use their paint made for plastic.
It isn't too critical what you use; the idea is to protect the plastic cover from the sun.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Which Paint?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105323
Judy,
 If using a spray can, use the kind that says "for plastic" on the label. You can also use brush on latex (water based) paint, though it may peel over time.
 Problem with using regular spray can enamel is that the solvents used will damage many plastics. True, you may still get away with using it, as the amount of solvent sprayed on any one area is small, still damage is being done. If you still want to use generic spray paint, you might test to see if it's compatible. To do this, spray a bit of paint on some paper towel so it's wet. Then dab the wet paint on an edge of the plastic where it won't matter. Wait several minutes and then scrape away the paint with your finger nail or similar. If the plastic has been softened by the solvent, it will be marred.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer