Skip to main content
Topic: solar light installed at bathroom vent site? (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
solar light installed at bathroom vent site?
Yahoo Message Number: 105313
A couple of weeks ago I remember reading that someone installed a little solar light in place of the bathroom vent?
 I can't find the post.  Can someone 'fess up or point me to that post?
 Our bathroom vent fan housing is cracked and the fan is mangled on our 22ft '84 LD-MP.  We are looking to remove/replace the whole thing with a solar light.

Thanks

Cathi

Re: solar light installed at bathroom vent site?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105314
"Our bathroom vent fan housing is cracked and the fan is mangled on our 22ft '84 LD-MP.  We are looking to remove/replace the whole thing with a solar light."
 I'm not sure what kind of solar light you have in mind, Cathi, but I don't know of any that would replace a 14" x 14" vent--and personally, I'd never consider eliminating a vent. The more air circulation, the better! :-)
 What you may be thinking of is that a few of us have mounted small solar-powered "fence lights" (made by Hampton Bay and available at Home Depot for $10) under the skylights--not vents--of our bathrooms. These act as night lights, providing just enough amber light from their two LEDs to let you see your way on late-night trips to the bathroom. I don't know how well one of these would work if mounted under a vent, though.
 They do work well as exterior entry lights. Mounted near the door, one of these will shed enough light to let you locate your rig and find the keyhole. But because it's solar-powered and only comes on at night, you never have to remember to turn it on or off--unlike the factory-installed 12V-powered entry light.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105315
Our bathroom vent fan housing is cracked and the fan is mangled on our 22ft '84 LD-MP.  We are looking to remove/replace the whole thing with a solar light.
You don't want to 'plug' the vent in a space as confined and potentially humid as the bath, even if you might never intend to use its shower. A Fantastic Fan replacement is what most here have done, which give quiet, effective ventilation compared to the stock buzzy noisemaker.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105321
Thanks for both replies Andy and Steve..
 This Hampton Bay is what I was thinking of but somehow I connected the thought to the bathroom vent.  We don't have a skylight.

I agree that the vent should not be eliminated.
 Our goal is to remove the existing fan and cracked housing and while doing so, replace with something functional.
 The bathroom is not likely to steam up - The Daizy will be used for weekend getaways and the GI shower eliminates the concern of too much dampness.
 We just had the Fantastic fan installed in our 32ft 5th wheel, but with both the airconditioning, evaporative cooler, and large windows in The Daizy I think the Fantastic would be overkill and an unnecessary expense at this time with so much else to accomplish.
 I am looking for a way to turn the opening into a simple solar lighting source with the ventilation secondary.

Thanks again.

Cathi

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105322
Cathi,
 You'd be surprised how how much dampness can occur with the GI shower! You'll get the rain-forest effect with condensation without a vent open.  I installed vent cover, and leave my bath vent open 24/7 - that eliminated the rain-forest effect.

Cheers, Helen

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105324
Quote from: andybaird2000"

"What you may be thinking of is that a few of us have mounted small solar-powered "fence lights" (made by Hampton Bay and available at Home Depot for $10) under the skylights--not vents--of our bathrooms. These act as night lights, providing just enough amber light from their two LEDs to let you see your way on late-night trips to the bathroom. I don't know how well one of these would work if mounted under a vent, though.
 They do work well as exterior entry lights. Mounted near the door, one of these will shed enough light to let you locate your rig and find the keyhole. But because it's solar-powered and only comes on at night, you never have to remember to turn it on or off--unlike the factory-installed 12V-powered entry light."

Cathi, here's a link to that solar fence post light.  I have one installed at by my door and it's great for a subtle night light.  Andy posted some photos of his exterior and interior installation, but I'm not sure where to find them.

http://tinyurl.com/nhe5np

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105329
"I am looking for a way to turn the opening into a simple solar lighting source with the ventilation secondary."
 Install a standard 14x14 RV vent without fan. You'll have solar lighting during the day, and ventilation whenever you want it.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105330
"Andy posted some photos of his exterior and interior installation, but I'm not sure where to find them."

They're not here, but in Eureka. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/eureka/
Andy Baird

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105331
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:02:28 -0700, "Helen D." wrote:

I installed vent cover, and leave my bath vent open 24/7
You must be in a warmer clime than we are Helen. It's been just above freezing here in Silverton, CO (Just less than 10,000 feet) the last few weeks.
 It warms up 25 degrees in less than two hours after sun comes up; but at night we put reflectix in the vents and put on the vent covers.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105332
Western WA - it's been getting down in the 40's some nights already in the foothills.   Even when it's freezing, I leave the bath vent open.

I'll have to get the reflectix out of storage soon!

Cheers, Helen

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 105336

I

installed vent cover, and leave my bath vent open 24/7
 You must be in a warmer clime than we are Helen. It's been just above freezing here in Silverton, CO (Just less than 10,000 feet) the last few weeks.
 It warms up 25 degrees in less than two hours after sun comes up; but at night we put reflectix in the vents and put on the vent covers.

Cheers, Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 105344
Quote from: Don Malpas

It's been just above freezing here in Silverton, CO (Just less than 10,000 feet) the last few weeks.
========================================================= Could you blow a little of that our way? Current heat wave (106° here in Lovely La Verne, CA) makes your temps sound like heaven.

Anne Johnson

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 105346
Quote from: Don Malpas

I >installed vent cover, and leave my bath vent open 24/7

Cheers, Don