Skip to main content
Topic: Desert Cooler Install (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Desert Cooler Install
Yahoo Message Number: 105275
I purchased some remaining bits from the folks who were making the desert cooler kit for RV's.  This is the device that sprays water on the radiator and trans cooler to keep things cooler in hot temp conditions.  I got the pump from them and some other bits including the necessary valves.  I've since sourced tubing and a timer switch from JC Whitney.
 I'm struggling a bit with how to route the tubing to the water tank given the pipes I would need to tap into according to their instructions are inside the coach walls under the kitchen counter I assume.  I have a 1992 26.5 MB.
 Has anyone done this install?  I seem to remember a few messages from members who have this device.  It looks like the other option is to tap into the fresh water tank drain on the outside.
1992 MB

Re: Desert Cooler Install
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105276
"Has anyone done this install? I seem to remember a few messages from members who have this device. It looks like the other option is to tap into the fresh water tank drain on the outside."
 I had one on our 1983 22' FL and loved it. I did not use much water and really came in handy on blazing summer trips while heading up I-5 or through the desert, primarily when climbing long, steep grades.
The drop in engine and transmission temps was fast and significant.
I would adjust the Cooler's timer to keep the fan clutch from engaging. You could feel a reduction in the heat coming up through the floor and engine cover.
The Cooler's water was supplied from a tee, inserted in the LD's water pump supply line. The new water line was run down through the floor and under the chassis, up to the engine compartment where the Desert Cooler's pump was mounted.
You might want to drain the line in the winter to prevent freezing.
 The only maintenance needed was annually giving the spray-nozzles a good soaking in vinegar to remove hard-water deposits.

Hope that helps.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Desert Cooler Install
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105290
That helps.  I'm just struggling with where to tap into the water line.  I'm thinking it may be easier to do some modifications to the drain and tap in there although I think the instructions say they don't want the water line below the level of the pump.  I'm trying to avoid routing the line into the coach, cutting holes in the floor, etc.
1992 MB