Skip to main content
Topic: '88 MB- Interior paneling source? (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
'88 MB- Interior paneling source?
Yahoo Message Number: 105221
Is there a source for the interior paneling?  I have some I had to cut out to repair dry-rot underneath the window by my dinette.  It won't be a huge exposed area, but I would like to try and match things up.

thanks, Adam

Re: '88 MB- Interior paneling source?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105222
"Is there a source for the interior paneling?  I have some I had to cut out to repair dry-rot underneath the window by my dinette.  It won't be a huge exposed area, but I would like to try and match things up."

thanks, Adam
Call the LD factory.  They sometimes have paneling in stock.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105223
"I have some [paneling] I had to cut out to repair dry-rot underneath the window by my dinette. It won't be a huge exposed area, but I would like to try and match things up."
 Try the factory... but if they can't help, here's a designer tip: if you can't match it perfectly, go in the opposite direction and do something completely different. For example, a row of tiles, or a wide, boldly-colored "supergraphic" stripe, or a strip of decorative wallpaper. Or you could do what LD did in many midbaths: put a padded, upholstered panel beneath the window. Almost anything will look better than paneling that doesn't *quite* match the rest of the interior.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105227
Is there a source for the interior paneling?  I have some I had to cut out to repair dry-rot underneath the window by my dinette.
 Adam - When faced with this problem on a 85 FL I had, I found matching paneling under the upper bed forward edge that I could use.

Lon in N. CA

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105239
Is there a source for the interior paneling?  I have some I had to cut out to repair dry-rot underneath the window by my dinette.  It won't be a huge exposed area, but I would like to try and match things up.
With our '83, I installed luan from a hardware store, stained to be close in color, but not a match. I then used a horizontal strip of stained trim to hide the join, like used in wainscoting. I had saved and carefully cut to fit enough of the salvageable original paneling to make a seamless horizontal repair below the window down to the trim join with the new paneling. It is easier to see it in the file "battery upgrade.doc" in the LD_Enhancements group.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105244
Thanks for all the suggestions, once again proving why this is such an excellent group!
 Andy mentioned that some vintages have a fabric section over some of the area next to the dinette, and mine is one of those, so a good portion of the area I am working on is covered by the fabric panel.  The worst area is not covered, it's the lower left corner of the window (as looking from inside the coach).  But, Andy's comment made me realize that I can use the paneling I cut out that is behind the dinette fabric panel to patch this area, and if I can't find a match for the area behind the fabric panel who cares?
 By the way, in doing research on materials to fix/repair dry rot, and reading up on Git-Rot, I came across a supplier called "Rot Doctor" and am using their product with some success.  I think the solvent content (and hence much lower viscosity) of their epoxy (CPES) sealer is quite a bit higher than Git-Rot, so it penetrates quite a bit further.  I am using the CPES along with the Layup & Laminating resin kit to rebuild structure with good success.  I knew when I took on the window repair I had a bit of dry rot around my escape hatch opening and the skylight opening in the bathroom, both of which had some roof leaks that I've now repaired.  Fortunately both are repairable, just takes some time, patience and ingenuity.
 Looking forward to getting on the road again at the end of next week for a family trip!

Cheers, Adam