Skip to main content
Topic: transmission service (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
transmission service
Yahoo Message Number: 105090
Hello Ladies and Gents. Wanted some feedback about this topic. I called a neighborhood transmission repair shop and asked their advice on fluid/filter changes on my vintage 85 FL. The rig has a total of 32000 miles on her and as i am trying to keep life going as long as possible I wanted to have this done. The chevy tranny shifts perfect. The chevy owners manual said to change fluid at around 100,000 miles if memory serves me correctly. The shop owner told me 15000 or once a year. The price he wanted wasn't too bad, 160.00 parts and labor. As we all know the rigs sit more than they are driven. Advice please!!! John in the ol 85'.

nothing to do with transmission service
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105093
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:34:27 -0700 (PDT), john owens chernefitter@...> wrote:

my vintage 85 FL. The rig has a total of 32000 miles on her
An average of only 1,300 miles a year! That may be some sort of record.
 We are looking at 30,000 a year after two years. Plus another 20,000 on the toad.

Big wheel keep on turning. Proud Mary keep on burning. And were rolling, rolling.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: transmission service
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105094
"Advice please!!! '

John

What does the Owner's manual say? Consider it to be the bible.
 I like installing a transmission temperature gauge so I can monitor how hot it gets. How hot the oil runs is more important than how many miles the fluid has on it. Try to keep it under 250 degrees, under 225 is preferred.
Adding a large transmission cooler is a good idea if it has not already been done.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: transmission service
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105097
John, I would follow the owners manual recommendation of 100,000 or so.  The 160.00 sounds a little high to me, but it may be because it's a motorhome, which lots of shops don't want to work on so they upcharge on their normal rates.  Check with a reputable oil change shop, here's an example.  I had my Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission flushed and filter changed, and they add a Lucas transmission fluid additive and I think it was about 85.00.  Also, you want to make sure whoever does it, has the capability of changing all the oil,  not just what's in the tranny and pan.  The torque converter holds a lot of tranny fluid, and some shops don't have the equipment that allows full drainage of the torque converter. So it ends up only changing 1/2 the fluid, and it mixes the old fluid in the torque converter with the new fluid they add.  Which isn't the most ideal situation.  The other consideration you may want to talk to the shop about is using a full synthetic or a partial synthetic fluid, due to the fact that motorhomes end up sitting more than running, and the synthetic oils hold up better in these situations.