Skip to main content
Topic: Buying tires (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Buying tires
Yahoo Message Number: 105034
Since the need to buy new RV tires is based on age rather than wear I want to buy recently manufactured tires. But so far I'm having trouble finding a tire dealer willing to guarantee that they can get me tires made in the last 3 months, for example.
 Does anyone have any experience with this and did you find a solution? Thanks much. ~ Chuck

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Buying tires
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105036
Does anyone have any experience with this and did you find a solution?

We bought new tires for both the truck and the fifth wheel this spring before leaving Quartzsite.  We told the tire dealer that we would not accept tires older than "X" months.  Fortunately, they just happened to have tires that met our criteria in stock...otherwise, we would have been willing to wait for them.
 I don't believe that a tire dealer cannot order tires that are within a certain time frame of manufacturing.  They may not be able to guarantee a specific date, but should be able to order tires that are within whatever time frame you require.  Be sure to look at the tires yourself before they are installed to verify age.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105039
Chuck, I recently replaced the Michelin tires on my LD. I looked at the tire manufacturing dates. The tire store (a huge one in NH) told me that the tires are usually about 5-6 months old when they get them.

Stan

__

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105050
Does anyone have any experience with this and did you find a solution? Thanks much. ~ Chuck
When I bought 6 new BF Goodrich tires from my local Costco I told them that I wanted 3 month old or newer tires. They called the warehouse and got them for me. They were 2 months old. At first the salesman said no can do but I was persistant (and since there were at least 15 people in line behind me) he said OK. When they got them delivered and I went there for installation I did check the dates first.

Jerry in Simi Valley 2000 30IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105081
Thank you all for your responses to my query about finding a tire dealer to get recently-made tires for me. What the responses tell me is that it CAN be done so I'll apply a little more persistence and determination and I'm sure I'll get it done.
 I appreciate your taking the time to write and help me out on this. Again, thank you much.

~ Chuck

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105131
"But so far I'm having trouble finding a tire dealer willing to guarantee that they can get me tires made in the last 3 months, for example."

Thanks much. ~ Chuck
Chuck
 The Tire Man in Ridgecrest, also named Chuck, actually recommends against a tire that young. Surprised (I was)?

Call him (1-888-889-8996) and let him explain his thoughts on this.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105147

"But so far I'm having trouble finding a tire dealer willing to guarantee that they can get me tires made in the last 3 months, for example."

Thanks much. ~ Chuck

Chuck
 The Tire Man in Ridgecrest, also named Chuck, actually recommends against a tire that young. Surprised (I was)?

Call him (1-888-889-8996) and let him explain his thoughts on this.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve,
 Could you give us the "Readers Digest" version of what Chuck the tire man said.  With the forum having 4056 members (at last count) if even a small percentage of us call he could get lots and lots of calls.

Thanks

Terry R
23.5 TK

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105153

Steve,
 "Could you give us the "Readers Digest" version of what Chuck the tire man said.  With the forum having 4056 members (at last count) if even a small percentage of us call he could get lots and lots of calls."

Thanks

Terry R 23.5 TK
Terry
 I don't like to put words in another persons mouth. That's why I said to call. I called, because I'm in need of new tires, and when I asked he said "like as not by the time a dealer gets a tire it's between six months and a year old, due to several factors. He's been in business for 35 years and should know what he's talking about. My appointment is Monday.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105154
"The Tire Man in Ridgecrest, also named Chuck, actually recommends against a tire that young. Surprised (I was)?"

The Tireman is correct.
It's a little known fact that tires, like fine wine, benefit from cellar aging for a minimum of six years You can tell when a tire is ready for use when fine cracks appear on its sidewall..

Larry

Wondering where all the misinformation comes from.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105157
"The Tire Man in Ridgecrest, also named Chuck, actually recommends against a tire that young. Surprised (I was)?"

The Tireman is correct.
It's a little known fact that tires, like fine wine, benefit from cellar aging for a minimum of six years You can tell when a tire is ready for use when fine cracks appear on its sidewall..

Larry Wondering where all the misinformation comes from.
Hi Larry,
 It looks like you didn't eat drink the Koolaid ....errrr eat the Ridgecrest donuts either! Chuck the TM must get his Goodyears by way of the wagon train.
 Here in Ohio, tires are often available that are less than 3 months old. When I need to replace my Michelins, should I get on the old Lincoln Hwy and meander out to California and hope the tires have been aged properly? ;-) I wonder if the donuts are fresh or do they age those too?

Steve K. (being bad again)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 105158
It really seems kind of pointless to talk about tire ripeness when the tires in question are flavorless ones that were grown in some hydroponic factory farm. For my money, nothing beats a home-grown tire from a rubber tree in your own backyard. Mmmm, fresh-picked flavor! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 105160

Steve,
 "Could you give us the "Readers Digest" version of what Chuck the tire man said.  With the forum having 4056 members (at last count) if even a small percentage of us call he could get lots and lots of calls."

Thanks

Terry R
23.5 TK

Terry
 I don't like to put words in another persons mouth. That's why I said to call. I called, because I'm in need of new tires, and when I asked he said "like as not by the time a dealer gets a tire it's between six months and a year old, due to several factors. He's been in business for 35 years and should know what he's talking about. My appointment is Monday.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve,

I understand, thanks for the response,

Terry

Was: Buying tires...Now: Fine Fissures
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 105162
Just noticing fine fissures on my 5+ year old tires (only 13,000 miles, a shame). Is that the signal to buy new tires or is that the start of the end? I mean, the first of the season they weren't there and now they are.

Thanks for your opinion, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Re: Was: Buying tires...Now: Fine Fissures
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 105167
"Just noticing fine fissures on my 5+ year old tires (only 13,000 miles, a shame). Is that the signal to buy new tires?"
 When RV tires are five years old, you need to start thinking about replacements, regardless of mileage. If they have sidewall cracks, you need to do it NOW.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 105168
when I asked he said "like as not by the time a dealer gets a tire it's between six months and a year old, due to several factors.

Six months would be the outside limit of tires I'd accept...no way would I accept tires that are already a year old before they're even put on my vehicle(s).

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 105189
While most of what can be said about tire age has been said.  I do have one consideration left to air.  (If I have this wrong, I apologize in advance and ask the chemists in the group to correct me - this is what I was taught.) When tires are fabricated, the material is a mix of volatiles, solvents and solids.  During the curing, the solvents are (mostly) baked off.  The tire is then wrapped.
Throughout the life of a tire, solvents and volatiles continue to release.  When too many solvents are lost, the material becomes less flexible.  Factors such as ozone, UV light, etc can speed this condition.  The result is cracks and, ultimately, tire failure.
Here is the catch - use a tire too soon, particularly if it will sit with a load on it for long periods without rotating, and the very fresh, soft material can go out of round or deform somewhat.  Use it too late, and it can fail.  In between is that magic area where we want to be.
I would not want a tire less than 3 months old.  My rig sits in one place too long for that.  The wrapping deters aging from most external sources such that not much life is lost due to in-wrap aging for several months, but the volatiles and solvents have more time to move out of the solid strata into the inner air space of the tire, resulting in a more solid tire upon mounting.
If I were a trucker seeking a tire that would be rolled upon every day, I would want the youngest tire I could get my hands on.  For my LD, I would want a tire that had more time to solidify.
Ken F, about to do my weekly relocation, this time from Boothbay to Millinocket in Maine.
'08 MB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 105190
Quote from: Kenneth Fears

The tire is then wrapped.
 Ken , I have not seen a wrapped tire in quite some time.  Take a look at Costco or other large tire outlets and they are just stacked with no wrappers.  Maybe we are talking about two different things.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 105198
"For my LD, I would want a tire that had more time to solidify."

Ken

Is this an urban myth or something real? I would love to read some literature, from reputable sources, pertaining to tire curing and the time required.
Sources from a major tire company would qualify.

Larry
Larry

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 105199
As with others here, it's been a good many years since I saw a wrapped tire. And one phrase in Ken's message caught my eye: "this is what I was taught." I can think of a number of things I was taught in college back in the sixties and seventies that are no longer true. Perhaps waiting a few months until the tire solidified made sense at some point, but is no longer valid? Just a guess.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 105220
Per Andy's comment, I agree.  As I pointed out, I don't know that I have it right.  It is what I was taught.  It may or may not be right.
As to wrapping them, I suspect that they are still shipped post- manufacture wrapped, then unwrapped to display.  Picky customers don't want scuff marks on their tires.
There must be SOMEONE in this group that can get current info on this! Ken
'08 MB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 105307
Info from Michelin...
I contacted Michelin to ask about the issue of whether a tire can be too young for our usage.  The email response that I got was that tires should be replaced upon any sign of damage or failure, or after 10 years.  NOT what I asked about.  There was a survey that followed, asking if my questions had been answered.  I took the survey, indicated that my question had not been answered, and left a name and phone number.
They just called me.  I had it wrong.  There is NO minimum age, and curing is not an issue.  The Michelin rep said, "Once the tires leave our factory they are good to go", and she confirmed that sitting in one place for a week or a month is not an issue.  So, per Michelin, there appears to be no downside to insisting upon a tire younger than 3 months.
Ken F. in Millinocket
'08 MB

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 105308
"There is NO minimum age, and curing is not an issue. The Michelin rep said, "Once the tires leave our factory they are good to go""

Ken

What am I going to do with a cellar full of gently aged tires? If nothing else, my wine now has a slight note of synthetic rubber..yummm.

Larry
Larry

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 105309
Over the last year or two the new information to me is that Michelin claims their tires can be good for 10 years, not the traditional 5 years and out.  I think they require the tires to pass some sort of inspections.

They might or might not know what they are talking about.
 I had a Michelin load range F blow out with a loud bang at 20mph (from age, no road hazard) on an exit ramp (front passenger side) on our new to us 1997 RB. The tire was 11 years old. The remaining 5 Michelins were 9 years old. I replaced all 6 with Goodyears.  This was on the way home after purchasing our 1997 MB.  The previous owner was not aware the "new" tires were 5 years old when she purchased them....

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 105310
I can add more info to the discussion, but it surely isn't going to solve anything.  I have orders tires online through two different sources, 1010tires.com and tirerack.com, both times the tires came wrapped.  The wrap had the manufacuters name all over it, so I assume it was like that since they left the factory.  One set was Bridgestone (for the LD) the other was either Bridgestone or Yokohama, can't remember.
 BTW, my tires for the LD were about 9 or 10 months old when I got them from 1010tires.  They are about 6 years old now and have no signs of cracking.  They have been covered maybe 30% of the time.

-Victor

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 105320
Over the last year or two the new information to me is that Michelin claims their tires can be good for 10 years, not the traditional 5 years and out.  I think they require the tires to pass some sort of inspections.
================================= This has turned into an interesting discussion since I started with the question of buying tires made in the last 3 months. The idea of tires lasting 10 years from Michelin is different from what I've read elsewhere. I have Michelins (what you recommended, Andy... thanks)being shipped to a Costco store near me which should be installed on my LD in a few days so I think I'll ask them about that age thing.
 Does anyone know if it's smart to watch for signs of breakdown and assume without them the tire is still safe no matter it's age? Is the gospel of 5-6 year age replacement based on the actual breakdown (blowout?) of tires or is this something the manufacturers state based on some other factor? Curious. Again, thank you all for your help. Costco tells me their tires are always within a few months old so I'll know that when they actually show up and I check them before installation. ~ Chuck