Skip to main content
Topic: anti freeze in carpet, help (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
anti freeze in carpet, help
Yahoo Message Number: 105009
Hi All,  We have a `83 Chevrolet 22.5' based LD that has developed a leaky heater core, our mechanic will replace the core Monday, but my job is to get the anti freeze out of the carpet and pad. I have tried flooding the carpet with water and Simple Green then vacuuming with the trusty wet/dry vac, but that hasn't done the job yet .  Any other ideas?  How can I remove the carpet?  The passenger seat?  Thanks in advance.  Gene

Re: anti freeze in carpet, help
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105011
Hi All,  We have a `83 Chevrolet 22.5' based LD that has developed a leaky heater core, our mechanic will replace the core Monday, but my job is to get the anti freeze out of the carpet and pad. I have tried flooding the carpet with water and Simple Green then vacuuming with the trusty wet/dry vac, but that hasn't done the job yet .  Any other ideas?  How can I remove the carpet?  The passenger seat?  Thanks in advance.  Gene
The carpet is glued in the cab area, I believe, at least for some of the perimeter, with screws retaining the rest. The screw heads can be VERY hard to locate, mostly by feel, and are 1/4" hex-head sheet metal usually. The seats bases are simply bolted down.
 However first, if you don't have a carpet cleaner, I would borrow one with appropriate attachments for cleaning in close quarters - ours has a small hand-held attachment with a rotating brush, and dispensing and suction hose, just like the main unit. This should do the job. The anti-freeze will not evaporate, so you will have to continue diluting it with solvent until the solvent and water will allow you to vacuum up as much as possible.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit