Skip to main content
Topic: Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard
Yahoo Message Number: 104904
Yesterday I changed out the converter charger with a PD unit and have the cuts to prove it. Since installing the light indicates that it is charging at 13.6V. I was under the impression that if the batteries were charged it would drop to float level.
 We have been plugged into shore power for three weeks, the batteries have plenty of water and are just over a couple of years old.

Under what conditions should I ever see this at float level.
 Also the ad for this unit indicated it has a desulfation mode yet I see nothing in the literature about that. Does anyone know how that works and is it automatic?

The unit is a PD 4645 which replaced the Parallax 7345.

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104906
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:14:48 -0700, Jim  wrote:

Since installing the light indicates that it is charging at 13.6V. I was under the impression that if the batteries were charged it would drop to float level.

Under what conditions should I ever see this at float level.
I put one of these in last Spring and was also disappointed for the same reason. The 'tech' advised me that it only drops after a preset period. Maybe he told me 24 hours. If that is really true, then every time you connect you would have to go through the preset period again.
 You can manually set it to a lower level. But, I would never remember to do that.

If you call PD, you may get a different story.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104966
I put one of these in last Spring and was also disappointed for the same reason. The 'tech' advised me that it only drops after a preset period. Maybe he told me 24 hours. If that is really true, then
One thing to be aware of is that the blinking light will report the voltage at the batteries - regardless of charging source. E.g., if your solar controller is maintaining higher than 13.2V at the batteries, it doesn't matter that the converter output is lower, the light will give an indication of the actual voltage. To do a functional check of the charge controller operation, disconnect the solar, or check at night, after a suitable time to reach maintenance mode. In some cases, the converter may never have the chance to do this.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit