Skip to main content
Topic: Removing Swamp Cooler and Replacing (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing Swamp Cooler and Replacing
Yahoo Message Number: 104869
I know there have been some posts on replacing the swamp cooler in older MB's with a Fan or skylight.  Two questions I didn't see answered which may be obvious to some.
 What to do with the water line that goes to the pump on the swamp cooler?
 Is the whole a standard size so no need to modify to fit a fan or skylight?
 Just finished sealing my seams with eternabond and need to get rid of the cooler as the lid is very brittle and cracking and it doesn't work.

Thanks, Jerry
1992 MB

Re: Removing Swamp Cooler and Replacing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104875
"Is the whole a standard size so no need to modify to fit a fan or skylight?"
 Yes, the hole is a standard 14" x 14", so any RV vent, Fan-Tastic fan, or air conditioner will fit. I had the swamp cooler on my 1985 LD replaced with an air conditioner.
 "What to do with the water line that goes to the pump on the swamp cooler?"
 If I'm not mistaken, there's a cutoff valve in that water line, so you could just shut it off. In my 1985 22' twin/king, the valve was in the storage cabinet beneath the fridge. Dunno about your rig, but if you look around, you can probably find it. If not, you can cut the line and cap it off with standard plumbing hardware. (Take a cut-off piece of the pipe to the store with you, so you can get the right fittings.)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Removing Swamp Cooler and Replacing
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104876
"Is the whole a standard size so no need to modify to fit a fan or skylight?"
 Yes, the hole is a standard 14" x 14", so any RV vent, Fan-Tastic fan, or air conditioner will fit. I had the swamp cooler on my 1985 LD replaced with an air conditioner.
 "What to do with the water line that goes to the pump on the swamp cooler?"
 If I'm not mistaken, there's a cutoff valve in that water line, so you could just shut it off. In my 1985 22' twin/king, the valve was in the storage cabinet beneath the fridge. Dunno about your rig, but if you look around, you can probably find it. If not, you can cut the line and cap it off with standard plumbing hardware. (Take a cut-off piece of the pipe to the store with you, so you can get the right fittings.)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"