Skip to main content
Topic: lake Louise Canada (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
lake Louise Canada
Yahoo Message Number: 104841
We are getting ready to leave for a trip from Arroyo Grande CA--Seattle _-Lake Louise Canada.  Any Suggestions on Camp grounds near lake Louise.  I also remember some discussions  about taking wine into Canada but can not find them in the archives.
Sure would hate to have the" Two Buck Chuck" confiscated. I did follow someone's wonderful idea had made up photo ID for the dogs Thank you for that.
Any ideas would be great

Lenore and Gary 23.5 FL Silver Lining

Re: lake Louise Canada
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104843
You can take 1.1 liter, or 40 Imperial ounces of liquor or wine into Canada from the U.S.  Be sure to take your passports to get back home, and no guns.
You can find everything you need to know about travel in both directions by entering "Canada border crossing" in Google.

Dick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104848
wrote:
 We are getting ready to leave for a trip from Arroyo Grande CA--Seattle _-Lake Louise Canada.  Any Suggestions on Camp grounds near lake Louise.

---
 Lenore and Gary, this website will tell you what you need to know to avoid any problems crossing the border:
 http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html

The photo ID is a good idea, but you will also need documentation from your vet showing that the pups' rabies vaccinations are current.  Be sure to have the vet note the vaccine manufacturer, the vaccine batch number, and the length of time that the vaccination is good for, e.g., one year, three years, etc. The vet should have the form that's required, but make sure that all the "information lines" are filled in in case you draw a picky border guard.

Lake Louise is in Banff NP; here's a link for that:
 http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_E.asp

I have stayed at Lake Louise and Tunnel Mountain; Lake Louise campground is closer to the "Chateau Lake Louise".  A couple of suggestions for visiting the hotel, the lake, and Banff township:
 Get to the lake area  *early*; I wouldn't arrive after 9:00 a.m.  The attraction is very popular, the parking areas fill fast (use the upper lot and walk through the "woods" on the path down to the lake), and so do all the walkways and paths and "vista points".
 Don't even attempt to drive the rig into Banff; it's much too crowded and there's sure NO place to park.  There are parking areas on the edge of town that can take RVs; these should be listed on the Banff township page of the national park site above, but, if there's not enough detail, just google "RV parking Banff township" and go from there.
 I hope you're going all the way up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper..!??

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104849
Lenore and Gary,

In our never humble opinion, Jasper is a much superior destination than Banff. Better scenery, fewer people, more reasonable priced CG's and don't forget the provincial CG's. Look at Lake Louise in pictures, and see the many lakes and waterfalls north of there - if you have a toad.
 A year or so ago, there was a long discussion on crossing the border on this list. So you should be able to find a lot of facts and opinions about how to cross. Look very sincere when asked about guns.
Take off your sunglasses.

A friend of ours who crosses frequently, keeps a inventory of everything in the rig. When asked if he has so-and-so he shows the list to the border official. He said that quickly ends the questions.

Have a good trip!

Cheers, Don & Dorothy
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104852
Customs will not confiscate your over the limit 2 buck, but they will charge you a penalty that will probably amount to much more than you paid for it.

David G.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104853
You can take 1.1 liter, or 40 Imperial ounces of liquor or wine into Canada from the U.S.

That's duty free.  You can take more, but will have to pay duty on it...it won't be confiscated.  Been there, done that.

Be sure to take your passports to get back home, and no guns.

You absolutely DO need passports (or a passport card)...those new rules went into effect either June 1 or July 1 of this year.
 However, guns are another matter.  You CAN take *some* firearms into Canada with the proper permits.  Canada has 3 classes of firearms: forbidden, restricted, and allowed.  To find out all the details and download the necessary permits, go to http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104855
Yes, but don't even think about taking a handgun into Canada.  I friend of ours did (not on purpose) and ended up having his vehicle impounded and over a thousand dollars in fines to get his car back.  The handgun stayed in Canada.  And it wasn't even his.  It belonged to a passenger in the back seat.
 We used to live in the panhandle of Idaho, so going to Canada was just an afternoon jaunt for us.  I agree about the Banff-Jasper parkway.  That is a MUST for visitors.  The Canadian Rockies with the many lakes and waterfalls are just spectacular.

Dick

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104856
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:17:07 -0000, "David Gardner" wrote:

Customs will not confiscate your over the limit 2 buck, but they will charge you a penalty that will probably amount to much more than you paid for it.
That is the case for unopened bottles. They are accommodating about being over quota if the bottles have been opened. The intent of the law is prevent the sale of untaxed beverages.

Or do like Dorothy and tell them, I know I am a little over, but I just could not drink it all last night.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104857
Yes, but don't even think about taking a handgun into Canada.

If you read the Canadian Firearms Centre website, you'll find that handguns are in the "forbidden" category.  However, there are other firearms that are permitted with the proper permits.  Unlike Mexico, Canada does not prohibit ALL firearms from crossing the border.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104862
"We are getting ready to leave for...Lake Louise Canada.  Any Suggestions on Camp grounds near lake Louise.
Any ideas would be great

Lenore and Gary 23.5 FL Silver Lining
Lenore & Gary
 My daughter and I and Jiggs were in Canada this spring (May). Lake Louise was still frozen solid.
 My recommendation for camping would be Tunnel Mountain in Banff and Whistler in Jasper. We seen many Elk, deer, moose and a Black Bear in camp. You will not regret a stay at Tunnel Mountain overlooking the village. Been there twice now.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104883
No suggestions, but make sure you take a canoe out on the lake.  Awesome.  My son and I will NEVER forget the time we spent out there.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104884
Forgot to mention this small detail about the campground I suggested:

From the FAQ's:
 Am I safe camping in the RV campground, which is outside the fenced area? Campers inside hard-sided camping units like motor homes and trailers are safer. However, bears trying to skirt around the Townsite will continue to pass near the RV campground area. You can reduce your risk of a bear encounter by following our Bare Campsite Program.
 If you must walk in the RV campground after dark, avoid shrubby areas, carry a bright flashlight, travel with others, make noise and use extra caution. If you see a bear, back away slowly and leave the area. Notify park staff or call Park Dispatch immediately: 403.762.1473.
 Enjoy. We had the best time touring Canada. A truly wonderful country.
Be sure to explore the Columbia Ice Field Glacier while you're in the neighborhood.

Ed

The rest of the story:
 http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/v-g/oursgest-bearmanag/sec4/og-bm4_e.asp

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104885
Yes, but don't even think about taking a handgun into Canada.
 We do not carry guns so that will not be a problem. We do have passports but thanks for the reminder. We have the rabies cert for the dogs. I guess we will just have to drink all the wine at our first stop in Seattle at the Dragon boat races.
Great suggestions on camping I will print them out and take them with us.
Thank you Joan great ideas.  (as always) Off to finish packing.

What would I do with out this group ?

Lenore

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104894
wrote: I guess we will just have to drink all the wine at our first stop in Seattle at the Dragon boat races.
--- Lenore, what route are you taking into BC?  If you haven't already made plans, one route is to go 5 north from Seattle to Mt. Vernon, then 20 east through NOrth Cascades NP; much of this is a pretty drive.  Then take 97, cross at Osoyoos, and go up through the Okanagan Valley. There should still be fruit at the many stands along the way, and a look at this website will help you find plenty of places to re-stock the wine larder!
 http://okanagan.com/maps/wine_map.htm 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 104903
Lenore,

If you do decide to take the North Cascades Hyway (SR 20) I have 2 suggestions:
1) Get off I-5 at Arlington instead of Mt. Vernon and take SR 530 thru  Darington and join SR 20 at Rockport.  It is more scenic and a little  shorter.
2) Make sure you stop at the Washington Pass Overlook and take the short
 wheel chair friendly hike.
 If, on the other hand you want to cross the border on the West side of the Cascades, I suggest you cross at Sumas rather than one of the crossings in Blaine.  There is much construction going on at the Peace Arch crossing (I-5) in preparation for the Winter Olympics and it has much more traffic.
(not to mention Sumas is a lot closer to Cananda's Hyway 1)

Rich Gort 2000 MB Birch Bay (near Blaine) WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 104907
Rich Gort-W7JVL  wrote: If, on the other hand you want to cross the border on the West side of the Cascades, I suggest you cross at Sumas rather than one of the crossings in Blaine.
--- I definitely agree; crossing at Sumas/Abbottsford is much easier and faster than the "Blaine bottleneck" if one's route objective is Canada 1.
 And, Rich, thanks for the reminder of taking 530 out from Arlington along the Stillaguamish and up to Rockport and 20; I had forgotten about that route! Much prettier and less traffic -- and the sooner one gets off 5, the better, IMO! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 104959
Hello Lenore & Gary:
 You may already be aware of  Campingtips group. If not, take a look. After you register, go to the Files section. You will see an entry "Camping & Dumping Canada". There is a lot of good info. Like most free sites, you need to separate the wheat from the chaff, but I think you'll find it worthwhile.
I use their different "inexpensive camping by State" files frequently.
Take care:

Ed

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campingtipsgroup/files/

Re: Lake Louise Canada
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 104970
My recommendation for camping would be Tunnel Mountain in Banff and Whistler in Jasper. >>
Exact campgrounds where we stayed!  That Steve has good taste.  :)

Here's some info on that portion of Canada from our blog: http://tinyurl.com/qzjdtq

Crossing the border info here: http://tinyurl.com/6j577y

Remember that you cannot take Mace or Pepper Spray into Canada either.  We gave ours to the Campground girl in Glacier NP in advance rather than have it confiscated (and they did indeed ask about it at the border).  Then you can buy some Bear Spray when you get in Canada (although of course you're not *supposed* to use that on humans...)
 Hope that helps- have a wonderful trip!  That is one of the most beautiful places on earth, I think.
 Tessa in TX (my kids start back to school this week- listen for the singing!  :) )