Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie Posed to take off (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Newbie Posed to take off
Yahoo Message Number: 104655
We are getting ready to take Rosie on her first official trip. We aren't counting the trip home from AZ when we took possession in April.
 For years our good friends have been raving about this California beach campground they go to and they finally talked us into going for 5 days.   I've done a bit of research and am thinking I'll be thankful that we'll only be there for 5 days. We are NOT good boondockers; we learned from previous RV ownership that we like our hookups.
 We will be at Dorn beach campground on the Sonoma county Pacific  coast from Wednesday of this week until the following Monday. I will be  going to no mail on this list because it appears there's "no nothin' " at this campground-no wireless-no cellphone, in short-no hookups and prolly pit toilets  and ugly showers as well.  We'll see.
 And, our house-sitter will bored because she will be cat-less this trip as we are taking Katie (our 14 yr. old kitty-boss) on her maiden RV  voyage.
We know the nights will be cold at the beach and so, of course,  we're taking our furry footwarmer.

smiles, LouAnne & Gerry 96 RB 26.5 "Rosie"

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Newbie Posed to take off
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104657
Sounds like your looking forward to a disapointing *first* outing in your new rig. No matter where we take off to we are always excited to see new things of interest and perhaps meet new friends along the way. Hope your trip is better than what you are forecasting! John in the ol 85'.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104665
I checked out Doran Beach on the internet and it looks like a very nice beach campsite.  I am sure it will be nice even though no hookups.

Keegan

We are getting ready to take Rosie on her first official trip. We aren't counting the trip home from AZ when we took possession in April.
 For years our good friends have been raving about this California beach campground they go to and they finally talked us into going for 5 days. I've done a bit of research and am thinking I'll be thankful that we'll only be there for 5 days. We are NOT good boondockers; we learned from previous RV ownership that we like our hookups.
 We will be at Dorn beach campground on the Sonoma county Pacific coast from Wednesday of this week until the following Monday. I will be going to no mail on this list because it appears there's "no nothin' " at this campground-no wireless-no cellphone, in short-no hookups and prolly pit toilets and ugly showers as well. We'll see.
 And, our house-sitter will bored because she will be cat-less this trip as we are taking Katie (our 14 yr. old kitty-boss) on her maiden RV voyage.
We know the nights will be cold at the beach and so, of course, we're taking our furry footwarmer.

smiles, LouAnne & Gerry 96 RB 26.5 "Rosie"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104666
On Aug 10, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Keegan wrote:

I checked out Doran Beach on the internet and it looks like a very nice beach campsite.  I am sure it will be nice even though no hookups.
~~~~~~~ Doran is indeed a lovely park; you should count your blessings you were able to get a spot there before Labor Day.  To each his own, but if I had to suffer through Arizona's August heat I would probably drive to California's coast straight through!

BTW, Doran does have indoor plumbing (flush toilets) and a dump station.  I don't know about the showers...my Lazy Daze came equipped with one!  I likewise hope you aren't setting yourself up for a self fulfilling negative outing.  If this is your first boondocking experience in your Lazy Daze, perhaps you will discover that all the same creature comforts that are available with hookups are available in your lovely, top-of-the-line Lazy Daze.  Also, Doran does allow generator use.

If you like seafood, be sure to sample some of the local chowder.
And if it's crab season, you can buy it fresh off the boats -- doesn't get much better than that IMESHO!

Lorna On the banks of the Nolichucky River, TN travel blog:  http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104671
We are NOT good boondockers; we learned from previous RV ownership that we like our hookups.

because it appears there's "no nothin' " at this campground-no wireless-no cellphone, in short-no hookups and prolly pit toilets  and ugly showers as well.  We'll see.
I don't know, that sounds pretty civilized to me. "Boondock" means no facilities at all to me. Pull off the road and go to sleep!  :)    [ personally, I prefer campgrounds with no facilities, they are usually prettier and quiet! ]

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis [Headed for Yellowstone in a couple of weeks. Can hardly wait!]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104673
and prolly pit toilets  and

ugly showers as well.

If the place has only pit toilets, I wouldn't count on there being showers in any way, shape, or form, ugly or not!  You need to learn to use your own facilities, or don't do any dry camping.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104676
"because it appears there's "no nothin' " at this campground-no wireless-no cellphone, in short-no hookups and prolly pit toilets and ugly showers as well"

Re Boondocking

We use hookups as well as boondocking, whatever suits us at the time.  Thank goodness we have a choice.
 We are currently staying at a friends ranch, parked under a huge tree in a meadow by a creek.  This opportunity just came to us out of the blue and we were thrilled to accept.  Your Lazy Daze will do fine, and you'll be pleasantly surprised, just give it a chance.

Take a look at some of the boondocking blogs and you'll see what opportunities can be opened to you without hookups.

And congratulations on the new rig, I'm sure it's a beauty!

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104682
"We will be at Dorn beach campground"

That would be Doran Beach, http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/camping/index.htm

and you'll see they do have showers, flush toilets and a dump station.  By all means, don't let lack of facilities turn you off, you have a home away from home and she'll take care of you.  To see a good aerial of Doran and any part of the California coast, go to http://www.californiacoastline.org/ then look up Doran Beach.  If you have a toad, checkout Jenner and head north to Ft. Ross, Salt Point, Sea Ranch and Jenner.
 Ask your friends if they've ever tried Jalama (before Memorial and after Labor Days best).

Travel well Barbara and Gypsy 1993 22'TK

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104685
My wife and I have gone to Doran Beach a couple times already and plan to go this month and again in September.  We stay the weekends until I really retire at the end of the year.
 The are two types of camping layouts, we prefer the pin wheel configuration to the parking lot style.  So far we have chosen locations that back out to the water for nice views of Bodega Bay from the bedroom.
 We like walking along the beach, sitting outside and reading and just being in the peaceful environment. We also cook and eat outdoors (nice to be outside and to minimize clean up and heat inside).
 We spend the nights in our quiet, secure and comfortable motor home (2005 26.5' MB).  It has all the comforts of home.  So far we have never wanted to use the camp bathrooms or showers and the solar panels provide all of the power we have needed.

Doran beach has water and a dump site.
 Internet connectivity is through a Verizon Air Card.  In the evenings we play cribbage or dominoes and also watch episodes of Northern Exposure, West Wing and The Wire on our dvd.
 I really like how well we sleep in the Lazy Daze.  It is insulated from the outside noise and heat and the shades block out the light well.  We have slept until 9 AM often (cannot do this at home).

It is a great place for relaxing and do nothing.  :)
 Actually, the Doran Beach Regional Park is a little too developed for us.  The Lazy Daze really does accommodate our camping needs without hook ups.
 Wright's Beach is maybe 10 miles north of Doran Beach and we stay there when we can.  It is smaller, more rustic, with better ocean access.  No hook ups, only restrooms and maybe showers (don't really know, never tried them).  Walking along the beach, the views are outstanding.  The surf is dangerous there, so not a place for kids. This beach is a state park and is so peaceful.

Lance 2005 26.5' MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104686
Paul Smith  wrote:

Or head South to Kirk Creek camp: --- Hmmm.... not exactly "local exploration"! ;-)  Doran Beach is in Bodega Bay, and Kirk Creek (a Los Padres NF campground) is well south of Big Sur; the two points are somewhere around 235 miles apart...???

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104687
You just have to broaden your horizons on the meaning of "local" :o)

In California, 235 miles can be a morning commute.....

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104734

If the place has only pit toilets, I wouldn't count on there being showers in any way, shape, or form, ugly or not!  You need to learn to use your own facilities, or don't do any dry camping.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/

Linda: We have learned that there are flush toilets and showers, but the showers cost $1.50 in coin for 5 minutes!!!!!  Gerry laughed at that big time.
LouAnne in No. CA who "thinks" she has Rosie packed, but Katie knows somethings up and is looking confused...... we should have stories when we get back - longest car ride she has ever had was 3 blocks away to the vet.....

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104736
It is a great place for relaxing and do nothing.  :)
 Actually, the Doran Beach Regional Park is a little too developed for us.  The Lazy Daze really does accommodate our camping needs without hook ups.

Lance 2005 26.5' MB

Lance: thanks for that info. It's re relaxing and doing nothing that I'm concerned about. Gerry isn't a do nothing kind of guy.  I don't think relaxing is in his vocabulary unless it's a nap in his chair after 18 holes of golf every morning.  He won't be playing golf this trip but he will have lots to do learning to operate the generator maybe and also figuring out the converter for the tv which has not been installed yet.  He will putter.
 I, on the other hand have packed 3 books and 4 stitching projects, so I won't be bored at all. I probably won't end up getting much read or stitched, but since the computer is staying home, I needed to take something to do in case I have spare time!

smiles,

LouAnne

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 104741
"Well, Kate: It's only new to us, not new really."

Hey, new to you is new.  Cholula Red is our third motorhome (first Lazy Daze) but each of them were new to us and we were just as excited,

You'll have a great time in the rig, I'm sure.
 As to puttering, I'm still trying to figure everything out and in 11 days, it will be four years since we picked up the rig!

Travel Safe

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096