Skip to main content
Topic: LD Newbie (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Newbie
Yahoo Message Number: 104618
Hello Everyone!
 We are very excited.  We just purchased a new 27' Lazy Daze this morning from the factory.  We bought a showroom model so we are fortunate to be able to pick it up next Thursday!  Nothing like instant gratification :)  We bought a RB floorplan.  We are new at RVing but have extensive experience cruising for extended periods on sailboats in the big blue, which we like to think of as an RV on the water.
 We live in Southern CA and will start out camping in the local beach parks and other state parks within 3-6 hours from home and then head further afield.  We did tons of shopping around for the "right" RV and feel we were VERY lucky to find the Lazy Daze before we made a mistake choosing any other.  We really liked the Born Free RVs but that was prior to visiting the Lazy Daze factory.  We were not super excited about towing a toad so we were torn  on just how big of an RV we wanted, but in the end we settled on a 27' footer.

We look forward to participating with the LD group and hope to be able to contribute something of interest here as soon as we have a story or two to tell...

Regards, Keegan and Brenda

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: LD Newbie
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104623
Wow, my name is Brenda and my mother's maiden name was Keegan. Too cool. I hope you enjoy your LD. It is a sign of the times that you can buy one new and have it the next week. People used to wait six months or more. So sad.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104625
"It is a sign of the times that you can buy one new and have it the next week. People used to wait six months or more. So sad."
 Brenda, they bought a 2009 showroom model (yes, it's that time of year again)--that's why they were able to get it right away. RV sales are slow industry-wide, but the waiting time for a Lazy Daze that's built to order is still around three months, judging by recent reports.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104634
Wow, my name is Brenda and my mother's maiden name was Keegan. Too cool. I hope you enjoy your LD. It is a sign of the times that you can buy one new and have it the next week. People used to wait six months or more. So sad.

Hi Brenda, I was just down at the factory & the reason they got the LD so fast is that they bought one of the models.  They are expecting the 2010's in shortly.  They didn't have it built like most.
2004 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104643
To All,
 Yes, Lazy Daze factory is starting to build the 2010 models and they also had two 27' footers built, so they were willing to sell one and still have one to show.

The new Ford seats in the 2009 are very comfortable bucket seats.
 Our colors are very nice with the exterior aqua green striping and inside we have forest green apholstry with tan carpeting.
 We are off to shopping today to buy several items to get her ready for happy camping :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Keegan and Brenda

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104644
"Keegan"  wrote: Yes, Lazy Daze factory is starting to build the 2010 models and they also had two 27' footers built, so they were willing to sell one and still have one to show.
--- Just a FYI... when the factory has an "extra" rig already built and not in use as a floor model, it's often because whoever ordered that rig didn't close the deal and take delivery, and Steve wants the motorhome out of there a.s.a.p. to generate cash and free up space.
 I don't know about LD's *current* policies on what happens to the customer's deposit if the sale defaults, or if the factory offers a price break, token or otherwise, on an ordered, but undelivered, motorhome.
 Interestingly, the deposit amounts haven't increased commensurate with the price increases of the motorhomes. If I were to order a 2009 model of essentially the same motorhome as the 2003 that I have now, I estimate that it would cost about $10000.00 *more* than my current rig, but the deposit amount as I paid in the spring of 2003, i.e., $3500.00, would be the same.  The deposit amounts are up to LD's discretion, so they are likely keeping them low to encourage sales.
 Keegan, your choice of "green" marks you as a person of discerning taste!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104645
To All,

"...so they were willing to sell one and still have one to show.
We are off to shopping today to buy several items to get her ready for happy camping :)"

Keegan and Brenda
Keegan & Brenda
 While they are running you through your familiarization be sure to ask the best way to air up the tires.
 Then you might consider a stop at the Tire Man's in Ridgecrest for his extended solid valve stems before you go too far. Many of us have been there.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104650
Steve:
 Thanks for the tip, I have read several comments on extended solid valve stems.  I will do that.

Regards,

Keegan

Re: Valve Extensions
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104651
"Steve:
 Thanks for the tip, I have read several comments on extended solid valve stems.  I will do that."

Regards, Keegan

"Then you might consider a stop at the Tire Man's in Ridgecrest for his extended solid valve stems before you go too far. Many of us have been there."

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Doesn't the factory provide some sort of solid valve stem or valve extension on all new LDs now - perhaps what I bought and still use (with no problems ever) when I picked my '02 up 7 yrs ago?

Chris

Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104652
in use as a floor model, it's often because whoever ordered that rig didn't close the deal and take delivery, and Steve wants the motorhome out of there a.s.a.p. to generate cash and free up space.
 I don't know about LD's *current* policies on what happens to the customer's deposit if the sale defaults, or if the factory offers a price break, token or otherwise, on an ordered, but undelivered, motorhome.
 Interestingly, the deposit amounts haven't increased commensurate with the price increases of the motorhomes. If I were to order a 2009 model of essentially the same motorhome as the 2003 that I have now, I estimate that it would cost about $10000.00 *more* than my current rig, but the deposit amount as I paid in the spring of 2003, i.e., $3500.00, would be the same.
The deposit amounts are up to LD's discretion, so they are likely keeping them low to encourage sales.
 Keegan, your choice of "green" marks you as a person of discerning taste! ;-)

Joan>>>

When I was at the factory exactly 2 years ago last month to order, I was offered a RK that they had out on the lot.  Someone had ordered it and then couldn't afford the rest of the payment.  At that time we had to make a $4,000 deposit.  I asked what happened to the person's deposit and was told that they forfitted that per written agreement at the time.  I must say that I was tempted, but the 5 month wait was worth it in the end.

Judy Wms.

Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze"  and

White '09 Scion  "Puppy Daze"

And all the fur kids

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104653
"Judy Williams"  wrote: I asked what happened to the person's deposit and was told that they forfitted that per written agreement at the time.
--- Deposit forfeiture if the transaction doesn't go through is almost always SOP, but LD doesn't necessarily always follow the patterns of "traditional business models", so I wasn't sure!  Thanks for the clarification.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104654
It might be amusing for some to see how it was in the "old" days.  When we bought our 19-1/2 ft. LD in 1976, the base price was $10,950.  Added to that were larger reefer at $195, A/C at $495, marine toilet at $95, carpet at $205, awning at $194.50, and a vent in the bath at $25.  We also had to pay $325 for the Dodge A/C and $129.50 for cruise control.  The sales tax was $756.84 and California license was $227, making the total cost $13,143.40.
At that time LD required a deposit of $1,300.

Dick

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104681
Chris says:  "Doesn't the factory provide some sort of solid valve stem or valve extension on all new LDs now - perhaps what I bought and still use (with no problems ever) when I picked my '02 up 7 yrs ago?"

You are lucky, Chris.  Since you now have 7 year old tires (I'm guessing), do us all a favor and install solid valve stems from Borg or Tireman when you have your new tires installed.  You'll be glad that you did!!

Glen w/SOB 31' with 6 Borg valve stems

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 104697
"You are lucky, Chris.  Since you now have 7 year old tires (I'm guessing), do us all a favor and install solid valve stems from Borg or Tireman when you have your new tires installed.  You'll be glad that you did!!"

Glen w/SOB 31' with 6 Borg valve stems
You guessed wrong, Glen.  I bought new Michelins after 5 yrs and am still using the LD valve extenders which are doing just fine.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 104701

"You guessed wrong, Glen.  I bought new Michelins after 5 yrs and am still using the LD valve extenders which are doing just fine."

Chris
Chris
 If they work for you so much the better. As for me, I prefer the solid extended valve stems as provided by the Tire Man. They do not flex, need no intermediate anchor point, protrude through the simulator covers and terminate in a "through the cap" alligator which never has to be removed and the tires can be inflated within seconds.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

LD Newbie
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 155225
Thanks to all the folks who provided information on good years to buy a used Lazy Daze.

We just put a deposit down on a 2007 rear bathroom model. Deal subject to satisfactory pre-sale inspection but she seems to be in good shape and rides well.

Look forward to meeting fellow LD owners on the road. All the information that comes via the website has been great.

John