Skip to main content
Topic: thanks (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
thanks
Yahoo Message Number: 104607
Joined Escapees the same day I posted this list. Now I'm impatiently waiting for my membership credentials so i can access the members only sections.
 Looking at the various states for my new 'domicile' registration, SD and Texas seem to come up to the top a lot. Since I'm not a wealthy or even well off full timer like a lot of those posting to the Escapee forum, my reasons for choosing a state seem a bit different...with limited spousal support, and no actual wages [yet--another area to work on--income on the road] taxes in general aren't a big deal yet.

Down the road, if this place ever sells, I guess whatever taxes are attached to my eventual share might pose a different approach. But for now, my main concern is vehicle reg., insurance, both auto and medical, voting, and the general area I'll tend to be in the most.

Since I haven't a CLUE where I intend to go or more or less end up in, about the only issue will be weather.....back east is out for obvious reasons. For years those of you who do full time seem to favor NM, Utah, AZ., .....what others are more for staying on than just visiting to see the sights?

The various Escapee programs really intrigue me--especially the volunteer on wheels idea.  Also the CARE program...having been in the situation I'm in now, I have a much higher appreciation of elders needing assistance, and a lot more empathy..[grin].

Gini Free and Junah-Dober Gal Celie and Nihm, Tonkinese kitlets "Kooch" the little red LD that could "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: thanks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104609
in, about the only issue will be weather.....back east is out for obvious reasons. For years those of you who do full time seem to favor NM, Utah, AZ., .....what others are more for staying on than just visiting to see the sights?

Are you talking about places to stay in the winter?  If so, Utah would be too cold, IMO.  Even New Mexico was too cold for us the one winter we tried to stay there (we ended up leaving and going where it was warmer), although Andy and Kate and Terry have spent the past several winters there.
 Arizona, Texas, and Florida are probably the most popular snowbird states.
 As far as places to travel in the summer, the whole U.S. and Canada is open for travel! ;-)  We usually head north in the summer time, particularly Washington and Oregon, although this summer we explored Idaho.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104617
Gini Free

...with limited spousal support, and no actual wages [yet--another area to work on--income on the road] taxes in general aren't a big deal yet.
 State income tax will only apply for the states in which you actually work. If you expect to work mostly in your domicile state then it makes sense to pick one without a state income tax, such as Texas or Florida. If you end up workkamping in a state that does have income tax you will owe that state for what you earn there regardless.
 --Down the road, if this place ever sells, I guess whatever taxes are attached to my eventual share might pose a different approach.
 I believe there is a $500,000 exclusion of gain for the sale of your primary residence, provided you have lived in it for two of the past 5 years before the sale. Likely you will have no tax owed from the sale of your house, except for the normal closing costs.
 --But for now, my main concern is vehicle reg., insurance, both auto and medical, voting, and the general area I'll tend to be in the most.
 I think SD has the lowest vehicle registration, and TX and Fl are very similar in registration and insurance. I think you will not owe tax to your new state unless you have purchased your RV within six months or a year before your move. And then only if the state where you bought the RV charges less than your new state. If you have medical issues you should examine your options very carefully. Some insurance I believe require you to be physically in your home state, while I think there are some plans that allow treatment nationwide.
 I will let others speak about where to spend your time. Most I think go south in the winter and north in the summer. Best of luck with your plans. I too will need to be very careful with financial issues when I make the move to fulltiming.

--Pleinguy LD Wannabe
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104620
On Aug 8, 2009, at 7:26 PM, pleinguy wrote:

State income tax will only apply for the states in which you actually work. If you expect to work mostly in your domicile state then it makes sense to pick one without a state income tax, such as Texas or Florida. If you end up workkamping in a state that does have income tax you will owe that state for what you earn there regardless....

I believe there is a $500,000 exclusion of gain for the sale of your primary residence, provided you have lived in it for two of the past 5 years before the sale. Likely you will have no tax owed from the sale of your house, except for the normal closing costs.

Pleinguy, I haven't read the various state regs for a few whiles (it's been six years since I hit the road), but I *believe* (Gini will have to check to make sure) that even if she didn't work in Florida, but she chose Florida as her legal domicile, the State of Florida may tax her *other* income, such as interest and income from pensions and investments.  Again, I'm not positive sure about this, but it's something I would look into further.
 Also, the $500,000. exemption upon sale of a residence one has lived in for at least three years is for a *married couple.*  The exemption is about half that for a single person.

As for selecting a domicile, I chose South Dakota because overall, for my circumstances, South Dakota was and still is, for me, the most RV fulltimer friendly of all those I considered (Texas, Florida, Oregon, South Dakota) in 2001.

Gini, congratulations on your major-major, life changing decisions.
Exciting, isn't it?!!

Lorna Erwin, TN travel blog:  http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104622
This may be the tax that Lorna is thinking of.  It was repealed beginning January 1st, 2007.  Well, almost . . . see text for exclusions.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/ippt.html>

"Florida's Intangible Personal Property Tax (IPPT) Beginning January 1, 2007, individuals, married couples, personal representatives of estates, and businesses are no longer required to file an annual intangible personal property tax return reporting their stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, shares of business trusts, and unsecured notes. The Legislature has repealed the annual tax on these properties.

The last annual intangible tax return that these taxpayers were required to file was the 2006 return that was due by June 30, 2006.
Any intangible taxes owed to the State for that return or prior years are still due.
Not all intangible taxes have been repealed. The intangible tax on leases of government-owned real property and the one-time intangible tax on notes secured by a mortgage on Florida real property are still in effect.
 For more information, see the Department of Revenue's Tax Information Publication (TIP) #07C02-01."

Virtual hugs,

Judie Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104640
Thanks Judie!  I knew my recollection could very well be outdated! That's exactly the Florida tax that was floating around in the back of my pea brain.

Lorna
2003 RB

thanks
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 108011
...to everyone who chimed in on the battery maintenance issues. I think I have a good plan of action....stay with the Helio 22-B, and install the trikle charger, AND learn how to do my own add-a-12v-receptacle in the very near future. Ironically I just finished filling up all the cupboards with my fulltiming foods, misc. elec.s, etc. Where to put them as I do the wiring?

Also going to check w/Dave at AM Solar about a possible third 100 watt panel--if my battery bank can accommodate another panel, it would seem wise to get it all done at once.
 Should have thought/done this FIRST...isn't hind sight a wonderful thing?? :-)

Joan the HP-30DR sounds wonderful--just don't have the solar panels and batteries to warrant it. Maybe on my next rig?? I'm very seriously thinking of swapping out my IB for a rear bath once my house sells... that way my 65 lb. Dobergirl can't hog the bed !! Thanks again all
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."