Skip to main content
Topic: '88 MB Window re-seal update (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
'88 MB Window re-seal update
Yahoo Message Number: 104495
I procured the D-gasket material from the Mothership and am in process of re-sealing all the windows on our '88.
 As mentioned before, several of them had started to leak, I had attempted re-sealing previously using some RV-sealant/caulking purchased at CW, thoroughly cleaning/scraping all visible residue.  This of course was before I understood how these windows were sealed originally using the butyl rubber tape.  As explained to me by Vince, the butyl tape will not last and will eventually need to be replaced, as it ages it starts oozing out.
 I started with the bathroom window first, being small it gave me a chance to figure out the process, and was small enough to do solo.  I've now moved on to the others, and have had helpers for the larger windows.  I've completed the bathroom, both rear side windows, and the rear and dinette windows are both out and in process of being prepped for re-installation.  I have dry rot on the bottom supporting member for the dinette window, so unfortunately will need to take the dinette out along with the interior paneling to get to the sub-frame to make repairs.  :(
 For those interested in taking this project on, below is the list of what you will need  It looks like this is the year of repairs/maintenance for the old graceful girl, but thankfully I have a place to do it.

Supplies/Tools needed: -D-Gasket (From Mothership) -Polyurethane sealant (I used PL Window sealant from Home Depot, I believe same stuff the Mothership uses) -Mineral Spirits (for cleaning window opening on coach, window frame, etc) -Screwdrivers, or preferably cordless drill -Utility Knife & blades -Putty Knife for scraping old sealant -Bristle brush & Simple Green(or equivalent), for cleaning up remaining residue after scraping off -Acetone- for cleaning window frame where D-Gasket will be applied.
-Ladder & step-stool -Patience
 Cost: D-gasket is $0.75/foot from Mothership, but it's doubled up, so actual per-foot cost is half that as you separate the two halves to apply.  PL Sealant is about $5/tube at HD or Lowes.  Overall cost for re-sealing entire MB is about $80 + lots of time.
 It's a tedious process but rewarding to do it myself, and to know that once I have this all done it should never need to be done again.  I plan to post some pics and step-by-step instructions to this thread when I get a chance to help out others that want to take on this project.

Cheers, Adam in Hillsboro, Oregon