Skip to main content
Topic: What generator do i need? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
What generator do i need?
Yahoo Message Number: 104336
What is cheap, reliable, runs long and provides enough power to run ac and tv, and possibly charge your electronics quietly?

Thank you Lazy Dazers!

Re: What generator do i need?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104337
In my opinion you ask a very difficult question to answer.  One of the better ones for the money is Champion, they have a web site.  Honda and Yamaha have quality generators, however some folks feel that they are a bit pricey.
To perform the tasks that you listed a 4k Champion is the cheapest and they have an RV plug built into the face plate, they do not have an inverter so be careful with you electronics! Bill

What is cheap, reliable, runs long and provides enough power to run ac and tv, and possibly charge your electronics quietly?

Thank you Lazy Dazers!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104338
thanks bill!! a 4k champion, thats good to know. thanks alot!
 just one thing before i go, can you charge your laptop off of a generator that is not a honda eu series? how careful do you have to be? thanks!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104339
Why would they have an inverter?

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)
 To perform the tasks that you listed a 4k Champion is the cheapest and they

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104341
"Why would they have an inverter?"
 If you looked at the output power from an inexpensive generator such as the Champions--or even your built-in Onan--with an oscilloscope, you'd probably be shocked. It's very "dirty" power compared to what comes out of a household outlet connected to municipal power: full of tiny fluctuations, spikes and voltage variations. I've talked with Onan technicians, and they shrug and say this is to be expected. Most appliances take it in stride, but when I see the light in my microwave oven flickering when it's being powered by the genset, it does give me pause. ;-)
 The Honda EUxxxxi series of portable generators pioneered the use of an inverter on the output side. The advantage is that the inverted power is very clean, well-regulated sinewave power--it's completely isolated from the fluctuations caused by varying rpms, slip-ring noise, etc. I haven't "scoped" it myself, but I've seen websites where the resulting waveforms are shown, and they are as clean as a whistle.
 A few other manufacturers have since followed Honda's lead, but Champion hasn't. Adding an inverter costs money, so bargain-basement products don't have this refinement. Personally, I wouldn't consider a generator with it. This is a situation where you get what you pay for, and in my mind, a cheap, electrically and acoustically noisy generator is no bargain.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104342
"Why would they have an inverter?"
 If you looked at the output power from an inexpensive generator such as the Champions--or even your built-in Onan--with an oscilloscope, you'd probably be shocked. It's very "dirty" power
Actually, Andy, I would be surprised - a non-inverting generator should have a pure sine-wave output, and how 'clean' should have more to do with filtering, not that difficult on a true generator. By contrast, an inverter must run at a high frequency to step up the voltage, then 'simulate' a 60Hz sine wave with steps. The filtering necessary to put out a clean signal is a demanding design task. The advantage of the inverter designs is voltage regulation under load and the precision of the 60Hz frequency. If flickering of the lights is occurring for you after the converter drops back to 12V, then it should have little to do with the generator if both generator and converter are working properly.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104344
What is cheap,

Besides the talk about "clean" power to run sensitive electronics, keep in mind that "cheap" translates into "LOUD."  I don't want to be in the same campground with someone running a contractor's generator...and most other people don't, either.
 I imagine you might be able to pick up a used Honda or Yamaha on sites such as E-Bay if you can't afford the money for a new one.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104346
"Besides the talk about "clean" power to run sensitive electronics, keep in mind that "cheap" translates into "LOUD." I don't want to be in the same campground with someone running a contractor's generator...and most other people don't, either"

Ferris Bueller (gee, it that your real name?)

Linda brings up the biggest reason not to consider a generator like the Champions and other cheap generators. It takes a lot of engineering and materials to quiet a generator to reasonable noise level.
Inexpensive contractor generators can be very loud; loud enough that everyone in a campground will hate you. If you look at the specifications for Champion, you will not see a 'noise level' rating. That's because they make so darn much noise! Another problem with any portable generator, large enough to run the rooftop A/C, is that they are big and heavy. Where are you planning on carrying it?
 For an easy to handle power supply capable of running your rooftop A/C, look at a pair of linked Honda 2000s or maybe a Yamaha EF2800i.
Be aware of the fire and safety considerations of carrying fueled generators. Keep them secured when driving and never carry them inside the coach.
It's hard to bet a Factory installed generator.

Larry PS  A fresh potato, pushed far down a generator's exhaust pipe, will quiet almost any generator .
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104347
Larry "PS  A fresh potato, pushed far down a generator's exhaust pipe, will quiet almost any generator ."
You be very bad, Larry!

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104350
If my Onan generator up and exploded (or otherwise became uneconomical to repair), I think I'd replace it with a Honda RV generator. Something like this (about $2700):
 http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EV4010.html

The url is just an example, and not an endorsement of a particular dealer or site.

all the best,

bumper (a Honda fan) Yonder (an Onan user) Minden (best place to live if you are into soaring) Nevada (not bad either if you don't consider the southern part)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104351
A suggestion might be to check with the maker of the laptop. I for sure would invest in a surge protector, a genuine surge protector.
Regards, Bill

__

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104352
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:27:07 -0700, "bumperm"  wrote:

If my Onan generator up and exploded (or otherwise became uneconomical to repair), I think I'd replace it with a Honda RV generator. Something like this (about $2700):
I want to second that. We have one of the 2000w Honda's (used in previous rig) and it is a fine machine. If the RV version is even close to it's little brother, it would my first choice to replace the Onan.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104354
The portable EUxxxxi series Hondas are great products, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. If I needed a portable generator, they'd be my first choice, without question. But a built-in Onan has so many advantages that given a choice, I'd always take the built-in generator.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104355

The url is just an example, and not an endorsement of a particular dealer or site.
Just a question of curiosity, Bumper, but do you know if this Honda RV generator would fit in the generator space in the current LDs?

Sharon N.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 104356
Having just researched this topic I can answer it.

The Onan Microquiet 4K requires a space of 30.5 X 20 X 14.4 inches.

The Honda 4K size is 25.6 X 19.1 X 14.2

The Honda has a noise rating of 49 to 60 db

The Onan is rated at 66db at 3 meters.

Were my Onan acting up I'd spring for the $2700 and make it work.

The owners/installation manual is available on the web.
 Don't know how the mounting points compare or the goesintoes or the goesoutas but it looks doable to me.
Harry
Harry 2006RB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 104357
Harry,
 Thanks for answering - - and saving me the effort to look it all up!
 The brackets (goesintoes and goesoutas) can easily be fabricated (welding equipment I gots!) . . . now if that darn Onan would just quit working.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 104363
Quote from: Andy Baird"

But a built-in Onan has so many advantages that given a choice, I'd always take the built-in generator.

I don't have an Onan generator, but I have been around them many times to conclude that I will never get one.  They are too noisy.  I have not yet seen or heard a built-in Honda gen.
 So given the choice between the portable Honda EUxxxx and the built-in Onan, the Honda wins hand down, despite the inconviences associated with it.  Just another example that the mothership's choice is not always the best one.

Sam

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 104365

Larry PS  A fresh potato, pushed far down a generator's exhaust pipe, will quiet almost any generator .
Larry,

Would that work on the horrendously loud motorcycles on the road?

Jim

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 104366
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:13 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: What generator do i need?

But a built-in Onan has so many advantages that given a choice, I'd always take the built-in generator.

I don't have an Onan generator, but I have been around them many times to conclude that I will never get one. They are too noisy. I have not yet seen or heard a built-in Honda gen.
 So given the choice between the portable Honda EUxxxx and the built-in Onan, the Honda wins hand down, despite the inconviences associated with it. Just another example that the mothership's choice is not always the best one.

Sam

Sam,
 The newer Onan "Microquiet" genset, as used on the LD for the past several years (my '05 has one) is not all that noisy. The security (not likely to be stolen), convenience, and capability of a built-in genset, especially the ability to run the airconditioner etc, trumps the portable generator IMO. No way would I trade my built-in for an EU 2000.
 That said, from what I know, the Honda *built -in* would be the best option - - as I previously posted. If I had an older RV with no genset or good place to mount one, or if I had no need to run an airconditioner, then a small, portable Honda would have appeal.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 104367
PS A fresh potato, pushed far down a generator's exhaust pipe, will quiet almost any generator .
Larry,

Would that work on the horrendously loud motorcycles on the road? Jim
LOL, you mean those that sound like po-ta-toe po-ta-toe while idling? I hate it when they sneak up on me and pass with full throttle.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 104369
"LOL, you mean those that sound like po-ta-toe po-ta-toe while idling? I hate it when they sneak up on me and pass with full throttle."
BUT, you noticed it right?!
 A majority of auto VS motorcycle accidents are attributed to the fact that the operator of the car, did not see the motorcycle..
 In traffic, it is not unusual to look out for other automobiles, and miss the bike, primarily, because you are not looking for a bike, so its easy for the bike to get lost in traffic.
 Yeah, my bike(s) were loud and noisy at speed and throttle up.  AND,  if that loud noise gave you cause to complain, then you noticed, so its all good!

Slammy5150/Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 104371
Amen on that comment Brother. Of course this is off topic but sometimes its worthwhile. Loud pipes save lives is the saying and I believe thats true. I first started riding back in 69 when I was old enough to obtain my learners permit. Back then riding was safe and carefree. Today you take your life in your hands as you need to constantly be on the lookout for careless drivers talking on their phones or texting or looking at their gps's or whatever. So for a minor inconvenience of a little ear splitting exhaust notes to keep the medics at bay well...........Oh and of course this doesn't concern the slow and carefull LD operators!

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 104372
"I don't have an Onan generator, but I have been around them many times to conclude that I will never get one. They are too noisy."
 You can't tar them all with the same brush, Sam. To begin with, the old Onan Emerald generators were fairly noisy (though not nearly as bad as a cheap construction-site generator)... but the new Onan MicroQuiet model, standard in all LDs since 2002, is much quieter than the Emerald.
 And remember, you're comparing your 2,000W Honda to a 4,000W Onan. To be fair, you'd have to double the noise level of your single Honda, because it takes two EU2000i generators to equal the output of a single 4,000W Onan MicroQuiet. I'd be willing to bet that if you actually did the experiment, comparing apples to apples, you'd find the noise levels comparable.

Andy Baird