Skip to main content
Topic: Upgrading converter (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Upgrading converter
Yahoo Message Number: 104284
I am planning on upgrading my converter and had ordered a 45 amp PD converter from Best Converter. Now find it is back ordered although I can wait.
 Randy at BC told me that I could likely use the 55 amp model without a problem. So this raises a couple of questions. First is it really worth it, would only be about $25 more. Would it make that much difference in how fast it brought the batteries up to charge?
 Second, I am not sure what gauge wiring I have. We have an 06 30' IB so the batteries are under the fridge and the converter is under the sink directly across on the other side of the rig. I am guessing that is no more than a 5' run of cable. Randy at BC thought that it should be fine as long as it was at least 8 gauge.

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Upgrading converter
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104286
"Randy at BC told me that I could ***likely*** use the 55 amp model without a problem. Would it make that much difference in how fast it brought the batteries up to charge?"

"Second, I am not sure what gauge wiring I have."
Jim

Jim
 You no doubt have noticed that Lazy Dazy installed a 45 amp converter during their build process. They have already gone to the trouble of designing a system that will do the required job, right down to the proper guage wire. Even the manufacturers recommend against using a unit of greater current capacity. For example, Progressive Dynamics says;
 "1. Do not install a converter whose amperage rating is higher than that which originally came installed in your application."
 This would be akin to inserting a larger amp fuse when the circuit calls for a smaller one.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104288
I don't know enough about electricity to answer the question, "If I have a 30amp 120v AC connection out at the pedestal, how many 12v DC amps can I achieve from my converter?"  If the answer in this case is 45amps then possibly a 55amp converter would not harm anything.

best, paul

Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104292
"If I have a 30amp 120v AC connection out at the pedestal, how many 12v DC amps can I achieve from my converter?"

best, paul
paul

It doesn't work quite like that paul!
 The amount of current which passes to the battery is TOTALLY dependent upon the state of charge of the battery. The deeper the battery is discharged the more current it will accept from the converter (up to the converters limit). As the battery charges, and the voltage rises, the less current will flow. That's why the multi-stage converters are so beneficial to your battery. They allow only the amount of current that the battery needs during it's charge sequence.
 You could utilize a converter with a higher capacity but the only benefit you might derive would be a shorter bulk charge time. You have to balance that with the capability of the house wiring to accept the amount of current that would result. Too much current and the wires burn and that's not a good thing.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104296
I'm well aware of that aspect of battery charging.  As you mention below, the battery can request all it want but will receive only as much as the converter can send.  My question was related to how much an LD converter can send when connected to a 30amp 120v AC source

From the normal LD spec related here, I would guess an LD converter designed to be able to supply 45amps would actually normally supply less than 45amps (that is, assuming 30amp 120v AC input to a converter results in less than 45amp 12v DC output from the converter) accounting for normal design conservatism.

IF this is the case, then it would be safe, albeit no real benefit, electrically, to replace a 45amp converter with a 55amp converter (getting back to the original question).  I don't see how a converter rated at 55amp can cause a battery to request more amps than a converter rated at 45amp. If this is so, I'd sure appreciate an explanation.

Now if someone would step forward with actual specific knowledge on this issue, this AC/DC electricity novice can go to his room and sit in a corner.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104299
--- . Would it make that much difference in how fast

it brought the batteries up to charge?
The only time you would ever supply that much current to the batteries is if they were TOTALLY dead which is not a good thing to do to batteries.
Normally, if the batteries ar not discharged more than 60% (recommended maximum) the charge current will run around 20 to 30 Amperes and taper off significantly to little or nothing as battery voltage reaches nominal float stage. I don't think an extra 10 A capacity in charger will normally make much difference.

Second, I am not sure what gauge wiring I have. We have an 06 30' IB so the batteries are under the fridge and the converter is under the sink directly across on the other side of the rig. I am guessing that is no more than a 5' run of cable. Randy at BC thought that it should be fine as long as it was at least 8 gauge.
I have a 30IB and the wire is at least 8 gauge going to batteries but there is a circuit breaker in the line under the bottom drawer. It is primarily to protect the wiring in the event of a direct short in the 12 VDC distribution panel. I would suggest that EVERY 30IB owner locate, and be aware of, this breaker since it requires manual reset when tripped.
 In my opinion, the 55A converter is likely not worth the extra cost.

William Crockett KB4OB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104301
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 02:42:01 -0000, "William Crockett" wrote:

I have a 30IB and the wire is at least 8 gauge going to batteries but there is a circuit breaker in the line under the bottom drawer. It is primarily to protect the wiring in the event of a direct short in the 12 VDC distribution panel. I would suggest that EVERY 30IB owner locate, and be aware of, this breaker since it requires manual reset when tripped.
It's on all models. [late models anyway] On the MB, you can remove the drawer under the fridge and locate it.
Why it's there instead on the battery compartment.... ask Steve Newton.

I found out about when I installed a 3-stage converter and got confused. It works as designed.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104306
Jim when you say "replacing converter" "upgrade" are you talking about replacing the lower section of existing converter or whole converter?
 On my 93 LD I replaced the lower section of existing 36 amp Magnatek converter with the 45 amp lower section upgrade.

The ma