Skip to main content
Topic: New solar user needs enlightenment (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
New solar user needs enlightenment
Yahoo Message Number: 104260
We have just moved from a 95 MB to a 03 30ft IB.  The 2003 has 2 85w solar panels from the factory, and the "new" Magnatek converter.  I had upgraded the 95 to an Intelipower 9260 and kept it plugged in here at the house, and when we go to FL in the winter (we live in WI).  The 9260 allowed us to stay plugged in and not run the batteries dry.  Seldom had to add water.
 My questions are, 1. will the "stock" system (solar) I have now keep my batteries charged (2 new T105s) when I store it next to the house, or should I plug it in like I did the 95 with the Intelipower and 2. will the "new" Magntek converter run my batteries dry quickly when we are wintering in FL?  We get about 6 hours of sunlight on the panals on a good day.  Would it be wise to convert to the Intellipower unit with this setup also, and if so, will the install be as easy as it was with the 95MB, or does the presence of the solar panels complicate things?

Bob

Re: New solar user needs enlightenment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104261
"1. will the 'stock' system (solar) I have now keep my batteries charged (2 new T105s) when I store it next to the house, or should I plug it in like I did the 95 with the Inteli-power?"
 Yes, 170W of solar power will certainly keep your batteries topped off when not in use. In fact, you should check the batteries' fluid levels at least once a month to make sure they are not overcharged.
 "2. will the 'new' Magnetek converter run my batteries dry quickly when we are wintering in FL?"
 It could. While the Parallax 7345 converter in your 2003 coach is an improvement on the old, crude Magnetek 6345, it's not anywhere near as good as the Inteli-power 9260.
 "Would it be wise to convert to the Inteli-power unit with this setup also?"
 If you spend most of your time boondocking, it might not be worth the trouble. But if you spend the winter months plugged in, then you'll probably want to make the swap.
 "if so, will the install be as easy as it was with the 95MB, or does the presence of the solar panels complicate things?"
 No, the solar charging system is independent of the converter, so installing the Inteli-power system should be no more difficult than it was in your old coach.
 One last thought: your solar charging system has the old, relatively inefficient RV-30 charging controller. If you do much boondocking, you may want to consider replacing that with a Heliotrope HPV-22B (the same controller used in all recent LDs). The HPV-22B will extract about 15%-25% more juice from your panels, and it's also a multi-stage charger that's kinder to your batteries. It's pretty much a drop-in replacement for the old RV-30.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104262
Thanks Andy. Just the info. I needed.  Not much boondocking, so I will look at adding the 9260.  Now just a quick trip out to the money tree.

Bob

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104264
"We have just moved from a 95 MB to a 03 30ft IB.  The 2003 has 2 85w solar panels from the factory, and the "new" Magnatek converter."

Bob
Bob
 Your system and mine are virtually identical. I have up-graded my panels to AM Solar's 100w panels vs. the two 85w panels that came from the factory. Also I have the HPV-22B charge controller feeding two Trojan T-105s.
 I've recently up-graded my converter to the Progressive Dynamics 4645 four stage unit. Four hours of continuous sun or six intermittent will put a 100% charge on the batteries, no sweat.
 As Andy said, keep an eye on the electrolyte levels until you get a feel for how often you should add water.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104268

I've recently up-graded my converter to the Progressive Dynamics 4645 four stage unit. Four hours of continuous sun or six intermittent will put a 100% charge on the batteries, no sweat.
Steve,
 I am planning on swapping our Parallax 7345 to a PD 4645. Is that a pretty simple job?

Jim

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104273
Steve who did your upgrade, are they in the Bay Area? I met you at Morro Bay GTG

Craig
Craig
 Mike Sylvester  did the converter last spring during a short time when he was in the Manteca area. Ordinarily he operates out of southern Calif (Temecula)or Albuquerque at the Balloon Fiesta.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104276
Steve,
 I am planning on swapping our Parallax 7345 to a PD 4645. Is that a pretty simple job?

Jim
Simple? Well, yes, if you have any experience in this sort of thing or if you can follow someone elses directions:
 (http://www.progressivedyn.com/4600_operation_guide.pdf)
 I much prefer letting someone else take the responsibility of getting it right the 1st time. See my previous post.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104278
Jim,
 See Msg 100951 for my comments about making this swap.  It is not difficult but as usual, took longer than I expected.

Monti

Monument, CO

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104289

Steve,

Jim
Jim, I did that exact change out in my SOB a few weeks ago. It's an easy job. Took about an hour to do. They supply everything you need except for a few common tools. I got mine from bestconverter.com. $228 with free shipping. Now I can stay plugged in without cooking my batteries.    -Mark.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104291

Steve,

Jim
 Jim, I did that exact change out in my SOB a few weeks ago. It's an easy job. Took about an hour to do. They supply everything you need except for a few common tools. I got mine from bestconverter.com. $228 with free shipping. Now I can stay plugged in without cooking my batteries.    -Mark.
PS to my last post: FIRE WARNING! Do NOT increase the amp output when using the existing wiring to your batteries unless you are SURE the wiring is of adequate size (ampacity) for the increased load. Could be a fire hazard. In other words, if you have a 45 amp, replace it with a 45 amp.  -Mark.