Skip to main content
Topic: LD interior decor, a "Nude" LD Model to customize by the custome (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
LD interior decor, a "Nude" LD Model to customize by the custome
Yahoo Message Number: 104160
The major concern that exists for any manufacturer is their reputation... LD has built a fantastic one that stands for quality and the best Class C motorhome built today!
 Why would LD want to risk tarnishing their hard earned reputation by allowing novices, most of whom have never done any RV remodeling nor have had any experience in exterior paint schemes... )VS 53 years experience with LD, are there any other RV manufacturers that can claim as many years under control of the same people? ? ? ? )
 When someone remodels an existing RV, you can always blame the owners that did it (or compliment them as the case might be) but if a brand new LD unit is seen with a distasteful design going down the road, there is a strong possibility that current non LD owners or wanna be's could very likely get a adverse opinion on LD, and wrongfully so!
 I am sure this is a major reason why most manufacturers do not cheapen their products to accommodate the very few that want it. Think of where Apple computer would be if they listened to the "Many" that suggested they enter the "Lower end" market with their computers...
 Did this help either Cadillac when they took a Chevy Cavalier, dressed it up, and made it a Cadillac "Cimarron" or when Lincoln did the same with the Ford Zephyr and called it a Lincoln Versailles. Both of these moves by these manufacturers helped to tarnish their "Status" as a luxury car manufacturer!

Ed Klaus
 Re: LD interior decor
 Posted by: "jimrogers89"    jimrogers89 Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 am (PDT)

Wait, wait don't tell me, how about a bare metal version of the LD totally unpainted outside with no logos/badging?
 Taken to an extreme, LD could then even become an OEM supplier of a generic vehicle to the competition who could then badge it however they wanted. The funny part of it is Born Free would probably still be able to sell it at their own BF price and make a profit.
 OK, I admit it, I just felt like inserting some off-the wall light heartedness into the thread.
 Seriously though, my understanding of the LD choice of fabric color schemes, as told to me by LD at the mothership, is that they are chosen with an eye to hiding staining from wear and spills. But that dstill doesn't excuse the clock!

Re: LD interior decor, a "Nude" LD Model to customize by the custome
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104163
Good point!
 When we ordered our 2003 MB I requested the factory reinforce the rear of its roof to support a Datastorm unit I would install there aftermarket. They initially resisted the mod but then laid out the additional supports to exactly match the Datastorm baseplate. They ultimately agreed after telling us they would cancel the sale if we disclosed the mod they were making. I was convinced they relented because they did not want to take a chance on a LD developing a roof leak and affecting their reputation, even if they tried explain that I installed the mod that caused the leak ("If the roof was strong enough to support a 250lb person without leaking, why would it leak because of a 95lb Datastorm?" - I know, there's a difference, but explaining it might sound like dissembling).  Roof leak is just too sensitive a topic for LD, and they are understandably proud of their one piece aluminum roof technology.

Another issue is the extra effort it takes to insure the right non-standard mods get on the right LD. And the potential for errors caused by introducing mods into the manufacturing process. If they had construction management systems in place where they could invite customers to make any mods they want, like Foretravel, that would be another matter.
 LD factory mods also might lead to mis-understandings about how much LDs cost (because of the extra cost mods result in). Since Foretravel prospects are not aiming at the sub $100K price range, or sub $400K price range for that matter, Foretravel faces less exposure about the additional cost of mods. Plus Foretravel is already the most affordable of the luxury RVs.
 All in all, we can be proud of being LD owners/cult members, even if the factory has a unique sales technique. Without it, we would not be able to have a contest about our favorite story about Ed, or LD....

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

See where we've been at www. LazyDazers.com

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104172
E K
 I hope you understood I was being tongue-in-cheek in the post you replied to. My post did say, verbatim:
 "OK, I admit it, I just felt like inserting some off-the wall light heartedness into the thread."
 Your post was on point but I would comment and say there are many examples of vehicles that are good in their own right and still get successfully rebadged simply because there are two distinct pocketbooks and egos they can satisfy depending on the badge.

Jim

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104177
Hi Ed-
 Thank you for your thoughtful post (not to imply that none of the other responses to date haven't also been thoughtful).  Please trust me when I say that I fully understand the argument you have made.  I am, however, not swayed by it.  As I am only seeking out the point of view of LD end users (the manufacturers can speak for themselves) on the proposition I put forward, I will not try to convince you (or anyone other end users) by detailing my counterpoints to the ones you have made.
 I am pleased that Jim Rogers has made it clear that my proposal said nothing about altering the external appearance of any LD.  That is an idea that does not interest me (and that has not been seriously proposed by anyone in this thread).
 Should it become clear to me that the preponderant view so far expressed by participants in this thread accurately reflects the position/attitude of the LD principals, I would not bother them with my proposal.  Neither would I darken their doorway.  That is not to say that I might not be very happy with a previously owned LD whose dozens of yards of fabric/flooring/trims, already having been well enjoyed, I could dispose of without a sense of wastefulness.
 I am beginning to get enamored of Andy Baird's idea of an IKEA-type LD edition.

Rupe

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104184
"...Should it become clear to me that the preponderant view so far expressed by participants in this thread accurately reflects the position/attitude of the LD principals, I would not bother them with my proposal..."

Rupe
Hey, Rupe, I think it's pretty clear.  Most respondents said don't waste your time with "the principal(s)" (LD ownership) because he offers minimal choices in interior schemes and he is very unlikely, based on history and our purchasing experiences, to waver and offer a "nude" model.  That said, an email to Steve Newton  might just put this all to bed.  Give it a try - and please share your response.  For the most part, we who bought new LDs from the factory would have liked more interior decorating choices - or even a stripped down model, but with the business philosophy of a "few sizes fit all", the retail costs are more favorable to the customers.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB