Skip to main content
Topic: Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?) (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?)
Yahoo Message Number: 104150
We're looking at the LD floor plans and are pretty sure we want the 30 (31?) IB. It looks tight though at the head of the bed where the two wardrobes angle in. Have you found this a problem? do you bang your heads against the wardrobe is it roomier than it looks?

Thanks.

Re: Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104151
We've had our 30IB for two and a half years now and have not "banged our heads" yet. I'm 5'10" @170 and my wife is 5'5". We manage to get in and out of the IB with no problems. We moved up from a 26' RB. We really enjoyed our 26 but find the 30IB to be more comfortable. We are on the road over six months each year.

Bob in Florida (Currently in NH) SE 5

__

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104152
We've had our 30IB for two and a half years now and have not "banged our heads" yet. I'm 5'10" @170 and my wife is 5'5". We manage to get in and out of the IB with no problems. We moved up from a 26' RB. We really enjoyed our 26 but find the 30IB to be more comfortable. We are on the road over six months each year.

Bob in Florida (Currently in NH) SE 5
Ditto (the headbanging part).

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Arvada, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104154
We got our 30ft IB in April and have not had a problem at all with the bed.  Now if you want to discuss the toilet....it is sky high and you need a footstool when you use it...LOL...I am not kidding!  I asked at the factory why it is so tall and was told it is because it sits on the wheel well.  I am tall and sometimes wonder how short women manage it.  Children would need a step stool just to get on it.  That being said we still LOVE it.  Lazy Daze was our dream and it has not disappointed.  I would bet you will be very happy if you decide on Lazy Daze.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104161
Richard, We have had no issues with "head banging" in our 30ft IB. We previously owned a 26.5ft MB and felt confined in it compared to the 30ft.
Are you concidering a new or used LD? If used, we still have our pristine loaded, low mileage 2001 30ft IB listed in the files section here. We are selling due to health issues & are ready to make someone a super deal! Thanks,

Dan Hillman
Parker, Co

Hm 303-840-0671
Cell 303-250-4269

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104164
Guess we are much less coordinated than the other 30'IB owners who have responded! We've been living full time in ours for almost 10 months now and yes, we still bang our heads on the wardrobes occasionally. In fact, Jim is nursing a bruise from just a couple nights ago, so it gave us a good laugh when we read the question.

Gayle

Re: Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?) & elevated throne
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104166
"We got our 30ft IB in April and have not had a problem at all with the bed.  Now if you want to discuss the toilet....it is sky high and you need a footstool when you use it...LOL...I am not kidding!  I asked at the factory why it is so tall and was told it is because it sits on the wheel well.  I am tall and sometimes wonder how short women manage it.  Children would need a step stool just to get on it.  That being said we still LOVE it.  Lazy Daze was our dream and it has not disappointed.  I would bet you will be very happy if you decide on Lazy Daze."
 Connie, the throne is a bit high.  Some folks have bought or made a small platform for their feet to offset the altitude.  Of course, that's just one more thing to tote.

Chris

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104168
"we still bang our heads on the wardrobes occasionally."
 Gayle, it seems to me that it would be pretty easy to add pads to those slanted undersides. They needn't be thick; just enough to prevent bruises.
 For example, for less than twenty bucks Walmart sells an exercise pad made of fairly dense half-inch foam. If you cut a couple of foot-square pieces of this material and attached them to the cabinet undersides with double-stick tape, they should provide good protection. To make them more attractive, you could wrap a piece of fabric around each one before attaching it, color-coordinating with your bedclothes.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104169

"Gayle, it seems to me that it would be pretty easy to add pads to those slanted undersides."

Andy Baird
All well and good Andy, however, Lazy Daze in their infinite wisdom has created an opening through the wall of the wardrobe just about where your suggested "pads" would need to be mounted. Why??? Go figure, unless they thought you'd be needing access to that area during the night. For what? Well, kleenex, condoms ;-), flashlight or what ever!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104170
You forgot a clean pullup :o)

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104173
"Lazy Daze in their infinite wisdom has created an opening through the wall of the wardrobe just about where your suggested "pads" would need to be mounted."
 Sorry, Steve--I was going from memory, and didn't remember seeing the openings you describe.
 Isn't it odd that the  photo gallery on Lazy Daze's website has no pictures of any 31' model?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?) & opening in wardrobe
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104181
You forgot a clean pullup :o)

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

"All well and good Andy, however, Lazy Daze in their infinite wisdom has created an opening through the wall of the wardrobe just about where your suggested "pads" would need to be mounted. Why??? Go figure, unless they thought you'd be needing access to that area during the night. For what? Well, kleenex, condoms ;-), flashlight or what ever!"
Good one, Paul. LedOL.
 Steve, I'm trying to picture the opening you mention.  On our'02 IB, there is no such animal.  The only way you get in either wardrobe is through the front mirrored door.

Chris

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104188
Steve @ LD is quite proud of those access holes. He likes to have  water available during the night and found the angle wouldn't allow a reasonable sized glass or bottle to fit on the shelf - Hence the access hole.

We're going for the 31' IB. Should be taking delivery early Sept.

Richard

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104197
Quote from: Andy Baird"

"Gayle, it seems to me that it would be pretty easy to add pads to those slanted undersides. They needn't be thick; just enough to prevent bruises."
 Thanks for the idea, Andy, but it's not that part we hit. Can't really explain it because we are usually half asleep when it happens! Now can you come up with something for the TV?  Jim added another bruise to his head this morning shortly after I posted my other message. He was looking at something out the front window and hit his head on the edge of the TV.
I'm not saying these are reasons for anyone not to consider a 30' IB, though. We love ours, battle scars and all.

Gayle

Re: Question for 30 IB owners (headbangers?) & opening in wardrobe
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104198
Steve, I'm trying to picture the opening you mention.  On our'02 IB, there is no such animal.  The only way you get in either wardrobe is through the front mirrored door.

Chris
Chris
 Picture an opening, approx. 14-16" square, starting about shelf level and extending up and to the right/left (depending on the side) which opens into the wardrobe. It's nothing but a big hole, no door, just some trim around the outside.
 I utilize it as a grab handle to lift myself up from the bed, no head banging there. It's also handy for access to my personal protection piece (if you catch my drift).
 I'd never thought about the water thing, after all, the fridge is only a few steps away and I like mine cold.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!