Skip to main content
Topic: LD interior decor (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
LD interior decor
Yahoo Message Number: 104131
This is my initial posting to this fine board.
 I am aware that there is a difference of opinion as to the aesthetic merit, or lack thereof, of current LD interiors.  I can well understand why LD would not be so foolish as to try to please everyone, for example, by offering myriad choices of fabrics, tufted vs smooth upholstering,  valences, trims, flooring/carpeting, etc.  My thought is that perhaps a `nude' model could be offered for those who would prefer the option to design their own unique interior?
 Might Lazy Daze, as a lower priced offering, make available units that would be devoid of upholstery, fabric trim, window treatments, wall coverings, clock, carpeting/tile?  Before considering contacting LD to discuss this, I would like to see how this idea is received here.
 Thank you, all, for making this a very informative and fun place.  I eagerly await the day when I too can tour in a LD.

Rupe

P.S. I'm not really a cat…

Re: LD interior decor
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104132
...Might Lazy Daze, as a lower priced offering, make available units that would be devoid of upholstery, fabric trim, window treatments, wall coverings, clock, carpeting/tile?  ....
LOL, Rupe, dear, we can't even get them to leave off the clock.  What you see is what you get.  Anybody with a sewing machine and a staple gun can easily recover the furniture and valances.

Joanne in Boston

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104133
"...Might Lazy Daze, as a lower priced offering, make available units that would be devoid of upholstery, fabric trim, window treatments, wall coverings, clock, carpeting/tile?  Before considering contacting LD to discuss this, I would like to see how this idea is received here..."

Rupe
Not a snowball's chance in hades will that ever happen!

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104134
I haven't always been crazy about some of the interior decor choices they've made over the years, but I've found that for the most part it's no more work to add upholstery covers, flooring or wall coverings to a fully fitted-out rig than it would be to install them in a "nude" model. Many of us have redone the interiors of our rigs to suit our widely varied tastes, and had a good time in the process.
 Now, you can call that making a virtue of necessity, and perhaps it is, because it's a pretty safe bet that Steve Newton isn't going to be willing to do a special "stripped" edition. Lazy Daze is reasonably flexible in small things, but not in major ones. That's one way they keep their prices down. Asking for this kind of major departure from their normal build sequence would probably not get your relationship with them off to the most favorable start. ;-)
 I hope it doesn't sound as if I'm apologizing for the factory. I've always said that I'd like to see them do an "IKEA edition," with a simple, functional, Scandinavian-modern look. (E.g., no valances, and no fancy moldings on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts.) That just happens to be my personal preference.
 But after owning my 2003 midbath for three years, I've pretty much made over the interior to suit my tastes, so I can't really complain. As Joanne said, it's not hard to customize. And yes, I do travel with a sewing machine and a staple gun... just in case I get any more bright ideas while I'm on the road. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104135
More than that, Rupe, in days gone by, perhaps even now, that question would be a good way to get thrown out of the showroom!

ROFLMAO

Welcome to Lazy Daze's unique sales technique!

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104142
Wait, wait don't tell me, how about a bare metal version of the LD totally unpainted outside with no logos/badging?
 Taken to an extreme, LD could then even become an OEM supplier of a generic vehicle to the competition who could then badge it however they wanted. The funny part of it is Born Free would probably still be able to sell it at their own BF price and make a profit.
 OK, I admit it, I just felt like inserting some off-the wall light heartedness into the thread.
 Seriously though, my understanding of the LD choice of fabric color schemes, as told to me by LD at the mothership, is that they are chosen with an eye to hiding staining from wear and spills. But that dstill doesn't excuse the clock!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104143
Rupe,

I have never dealt with the factory personally but I think it's a great idea!

Nancy, still a wannabee On Jul 23, 2009, at 10:23 PM, rupertdacat wrot

Might Lazy Daze, as a lower priced offering, make available units that would be devoid of upholstery, fabric trim, window treatments, wall coverings, clock, carpeting/tile?

Rupe Rupe, what you get from Lazy Daze is the stripped down model. I have seen more changes to the interiors of LDs than any other brand. Owners seem to be able to think outside the box. Everything from changes in the upholstery and flooring to laundry rooms and pantries have been added. Not to mention all sorts of electronic devises and TVs. My pet peeve was the pull down blinds on the rear window of my TK. The newer than '07 blinds appealed to me, but I was waiting for the ones that came with the rig to break before I changed them out. When that finally happened last month, I discovered that the problem I had getting the blinds to come up and down was solved when the locking device broke. Now they go up and down w/o a problem and simply adding a chair leg peg to hold the cord allowed me to continue using the rear shelf for my collections of chickens and Buddahs. So exercize you creativity and make that LD truly yours and unique.
Beverly Brownian Motion '07 TK

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104144

Nancy wrote: " ... I think it's a great idea!"

Hi Nancy.  Thank you for concentrating on the idea itself.

Rupe

P.S. I will e-mail you some photos that you might find quite wonderful.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104178
RE:  Lazy Daze clock

What is the deal with all of the criticism of the clock in the Lazy Daze?  We have a 2005 RB and find nothing about the clock to be objectionable.  Is ours different from OEM?  Ours is a gold oval- shaped object that just sits there and tells the time.  What's not to like?

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104179
 What is the deal with all of the criticism of the clock in the Lazy Daze?

Judie (2005 RB)
Judie
 Apparently you've never had to sleep under/near it and listen to it's click/clunk, click/clunk all night long.

Most of us have switched to digital atomics long since.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104185
On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Judie Ashford wrote:

... What's not to like?
Hi Judie,
 As one who had it "deleted" from her original RB order in 2003:  It's too big, it's too noisy, it's too retro 50's, it takes up too much wall space, but most important "rule": no clocks allowed in the forest!!!

Lorna Heiskell, TN

travel blog:  uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104187
Lorna Dunham  wrote: As one who had it "deleted" from her original RB order in 2003: --- I requested that the clock in my 2003 be left out, too; it was. So was the magazine rack and the curtains over the *windowless* front "wall" of the cabover! This vestigial curtain lash-up on a blank wall was quite probably the silliest "design feature" that ever came down the pike; LD finally came to their senses and eliminated it.
 As far as being able to order a "strippy" version of the LD goes, it ain't gonna happen! I understand that some folks are simply making tongue-in-cheek, "wishful thinking" comments on this possibility, and it's all in good fun. But, I suggest that one's creative energies might be put to more productive use by accepting the LD as a "done deal", then following the customizing leads of *many* LD owners who have ripped out/covered up/re-built/added to/painted/re-upholstered/tarted up the insides and outsides of their LDs to reflect their personal tastes and comfort levels. As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104189
"What is the deal with all of the criticism of the clock?"
 It's a good-looking clock, but many people found its ticking objectionably loud. Newer LD models include a digital clock/calendar/thermometer instead (LaCrosse Technology model #8157 or equivalent), which of course is silent.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 104192
... accepting the LD as a "done deal", then following the customizing leads of *many* LD owners who have ripped out/covered up/re-built/added to/painted/re-upholstered/tarted up the insides and outsides of their LDs to reflect their personal tastes and comfort levels.
Yeah, I've done all those things.  As noted above, one advantage of buying an older unit is that there's no guilt when you get the urge to switch out the carpeting, go for narrower valances, or whatever.
 In fact, mine might be evolving into the Ikea model: the shower curtain, medicine cabinet, some curtains and other textiles etc. are from Ikea, through other stuff was acquired via Home Depot and eBay.

Joanne in Boston NE-44 1994 TK

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 104193
Oh, that's true, Steve, I haven't.  But I have taken a few naps in there, albeit in the overhead bed, without hearing the clock at all.
Soon, very soon, we hope to have the pleasure of sleeping in our Dorrie Anne for a full night.

Is it louder than a husband's pre-CPAP snoring sounds?  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Apparently you've never had to sleep under/near it and listen to it's click/clunk, click/clunk all night long.

Re: LD interior decor / original LD clock
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 104196
Quote from: Judie Ashford

Is it louder than a husband's pre-CPAP snoring sounds?  ;->

Not even close!

Sharon N.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 104199
"This vestigial curtain lash-up on a blank wall was quite probably the silliest "design feature" that ever came down the pike;..."

Joan
Joan
 There's one other that fits that category... the fold down shelf above the toilet in a 30'IB. Picture this: With toilet lid in 'up' position the shelf must be in the 'down' position. With the shelf in the 'up' position there's no way you can use the john. I suppose lots of thought went into the design of that.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 104200

"This vestigial curtain lash-up on a blank wall was quite probably the silliest "design feature" that ever came down the pike;..."

Joan

Joan
 "There's one other that fits that category... the fold down shelf above the toilet in a 30'IB. Picture this: With toilet lid in 'up' position the shelf must be in the 'down' position. With the shelf in the 'up' position there's no way you can use the john. I suppose lots of thought went into the design of that."

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
As for the wardrobe holes, Steve, they must have started that in '03.  As for the shelf in the toilet room, I actually use that when not using the toilet, when primping in the morning.  Holds coffee, toilet kit, you name it...

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 104201
"With toilet lid in 'up' position the shelf must be in the 'down' position. With the shelf in the 'up' position there's no way you can use the john."
 I always wondered about that shelf, but figured maybe I was just missing something obvious. Apparently not. ;-) Lazy Daze rarely makes that kind of mistake. The cutouts you described, which are evidently a recent innovation, are more typical of LD's attention to detail.
 Thanks to Chris, we know that feature didn't exist in 2002. If you post-2002 30' IB owners out there would let us know the year of your rig and whether you have the cutouts, we can pin down when they were introduced.

Andy Baird

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 104202
Quote from: Chris Horst"

"As for the shelf in the toilet room, I actually use that when not using the toilet, when primping in the morning.  Holds coffee, toilet kit, you name it..."

Chris

I'd like to be a fly on the wall the morning you are in the middle of your primping and you come down with a sudden case of Montezuma's Revenge. :o} LOL!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 104203
"Thanks to Chris, we know that feature didn't exist in 2002. If you post-2002 30' IB owners out there would let us know the year of your rig and whether you have the cutouts, we can pin down when they were introduced.

Andy Baird
Andy
 Mine is a 2004 and I'm positive that the previous year's showroom model ('03) did not have that feature. Therefore, I was surprised when I took delivery to discover that those openings had been added. So my best guess would be that it was introduced with the 2004 model year.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 104205
Joanne in Boston,
 I too like the Ikea style and have wandered thru their store looking for a new medicine cabinet. Do you happen to know the number/model of cabinet you found? We have a TK and the size may or may not fit.

Many thanks in advance, -mike
2006 TK

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 104207
On Jul 26, 2009, at 12:16 AM, mikenormanaz wrote:

I too like the Ikea style and have wandered thru their store looking for a new medicine cabinet. Do you happen to know the number/model of cabinet you found? We have a TK and the size may or may not fit.
Hi Mike, I am an Ikea slut, plain and simple.  Here's what you do:  Do another pass through your local Ikea in the "storage solutions" area.  Better yet, wander through the entire store again, including the kitchen areas.  Let your mind drift.  Think outside the box!  You will find gobs of big and little ways to plan and personalize your space, economize your space, and organize your stuff.
 My most wonderful finds were open wire shelves in various depths.  I removed a towel bar above my toilet (in a 2003 RB), moved it to the adjacent wall, installed the shelves on the now-empty wall.  It's not an enclosed "medicine cabinet," but it works as efficiently if not more so because the shelves can be vertically adjusted, and stuff fits snugly.

I added additional space inside my wardrobe door with wire baskets that can also be arranged at different heights.  It's amazing the products Ikea sells that have small space and RVing applications.

Good luck (and have fun shopping!) Lorna TN blog:  http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB