Skip to main content
Topic: Water in LD from Air Conditioner (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Water in LD from Air Conditioner
Yahoo Message Number: 104086
Still working out minor bugs on my 92 LD 26.5.  Just returned from a great trip to Birch Bay WA and Harrison Hot Springs in BC.  Right before the trip, checking the tire pressures and noticed a crack in one of the tires.  They all had great tread and low miles but were old.  We decided to replace all 6 rather than take the chance of a blow out on the trip.  About 1 1/2 hour delay but we were on our way and the LD ran great.

Questions that came up on this trip:
 We ran the roof air quite a bit.  It blows nice and cold but after 2 days we had a small puddle on the table dripping from the unit. When we pulled out of our spot quite a bit of water came off the roof.  Does the water from the roof air come out onto the roof and is it leaking back in from there or is there a tube or something that's blocked or leaking?
 Replacing Flourescent lights?  The light above the kitchen counter is out.  I bought a replacement at a local RV store.  It's inset is slightly longer than the original.  Is there a source from replacements that are the exact same size?
 Does anyone use a CB these days?  I removed mine temporarily as the antenna has been removed.  Should I replace it and reinstall?  Is it necessary?

Jerry
1992 MB

Re: Water in LD from Air Conditioner
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104091
We ran the roof air quite a bit.  It blows nice and cold but after 2 days we had a small puddle on the table dripping from the unit. When we pulled out of our spot quite a bit of water came off the roof.  Does the water from the roof air come out onto the roof and is it leaking back in from there or is there a tube or something that's blocked or leaking?
Yes the condensed water from the A/C does collect on the roof.  In a humid environment, quite a bit of water will collect.  The gasket between the A/C and the roof may have dried and compressed over time and may be leaking.  It MAY be possible to tighten the mounting bolts enough to fix.  Also a cracked shroud on the outside of the A/C can let rain in (but it has to be raining).

Replacing Flourescent lights?  The light above the kitchen counter is out.  I bought a replacement at a local RV store.  It's inset is slightly longer than the original.  Is there a source from replacements that are the exact same size?
Always good to call the factory.  They may have replacements in stock.

Does anyone use a CB these days?  I removed mine temporarily as the antenna has been removed.  Should I replace it and reinstall?  Is it necessary?
We use our quite a bit, since we attend the Caravans and also frequently travel with one or more other LDs.  Many folks who travel on the Interstates also like to be able to get information from the truckers (road conditions, accidents, alternate routes, etc), if you can deal with the occasional jerks.

Jerry
Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 104092
There is a place in Salt Lake City called State Trailer Supply, I bet they have a website.  I've always picked up exact replacements for those fluorescent bulbs there.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 104126
We ran the roof air quite a bit.  It blows nice and cold but after 2 days we had a small puddle on the table dripping from the unit. ....
I had the same issue, although the puddle was on the floor.  I recently took my LD back to Montclair to get a few things repaired.  I was told that typically something just needs to be recalked. I can't tell you what within the unit was recalked, but it hasn't leaked since.   And it was 115 in Needles, CA where I spent one night.

Pam 2008 MB Currently in Bernalillo, NM
2008 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 104153
As Jerry stated try tightening the bolts and see if you can get the gasket to compress more.  You can access the bolts by removing the plastic celling assembly.  You will either have three or four bolts going up into the roof top unit.  You will be able to see the foam gasket from the inside where the roof top unit meets the roof.
 If this does not stop your leak than you might want to get a new foam gasket and some of the mastic tape sealant from Lazy Daze and re-seal the roof top A/C unit.
 If you are interested I have some pictures of recent removal and installation of new A/C unit on my 93 RB that will help you visualize how the A/C is mounted.

Just follow this link;
 http://good-times.webshots.com/album/573349706ROmCEf

Kent

Bozeman, MT

AC Install
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 104159
Hi Kent,
 You did a marvelous job documenting the replacement of your AC.  This is a great resource for anyone wanting to do the same.

Safe travels,

Dave 2000 RB Albuquerque

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 104232
Kent,
 Thanks.  I tightened the front two bolts and they were quite loose.  I couldn't fine the rear bolt until I looked at your pictures.  Great job documenting that.  Thanks for the info, I'll get the last one before our next trip.

Jerry
1992 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104265
Thanks; I'm glad that the pictures were helpful.  I try and take pictures of all my projects as I go. Takes more time but worth it if it can help someone else later on!

Kent - Bozeman Montana

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104275
"We ran the roof air quite a bit. It blows nice and cold but after 2 days we had a small puddle on the table dripping from the unit.'

Jerry
 The A/C's evaporator has a drain hole that can become plugged, causing condensate water to back up and overflow into the interior.
Every model of A/C is a little different so exact repair instructions are not possible. The drain usually is accessed with the roof cover removed.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze