Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Spark Arrestor Plug removal (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Spark Arrestor Plug removal
Yahoo Message Number: 104013
OK, I did the search and found some threads on the topic. Tried to remove them today and had no luck. By the way the genset is the microquiet 4k.
 Can someone tell me what size wrench is needed. One of the plugs could be reached by a socket but the other is somewhat covered by the housing and I am guessing you would need an offset wrench to get to it for any leverage.
 I tried standard size sockets and did not get a good match. Tried a metric wrench which seemed to fit but am either too weak or not enough leverage, probably the first.
 Next question that is related to this. We have 65 hours on the unit and was running it today to run the AC for a bit. The AC cycled on and off a few times and once when it cycled on the gen quit running. Well, this got me reading the book, funny how that happens.
 Here is what I learned. We have put a great many of those hours on while at altitude at or above 3,000 feet and the altitude adjustment sits there looking pretty set at 0 feet. Could not get the gen to restart so let it sit for awhile and set the alt adjustment to our current alt of 5,000. Started it and ran it for a couple of minutes to be sure it works and then shut it down.
 Have I been running it too lean, too rich or have I just been running too stupid, don't answer that. Whatever it has been run would that increase soot in the muffler or cause other issues?

Jim

Generator Spark Arrestor Plug removal
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 104054
Hi ya Jim,
 Yeah, it helps to read the ___ manual. Since you really don't have that much time on the gen, I don't think you have to worry about it much.
Besides, what would you do otherwise? I would just follow the suggested maintenance schedule in the manual. You could pull a plug and see what it looks like, if its all black, or full of soot, or normal looking. If questionable, replace them. Otherwise, my spark arrestor plug is just a square pipe fitting plug. I just used a small crescent wrench. Spray some Liquid Wrench on it, let it set, and they try it again. It might also help if you got the generator running, to get the plug hot, then try to remove it. After 240 hours on my genset, it was wasted effort on my part to check it.

Chuck 97RB Skye Central Iowa