Skip to main content
Topic: Firestone Transforce HT tires? (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Firestone Transforce HT tires?
Yahoo Message Number: 103957
Hi all,

I currently have 8.75R16.5LT load range D tires on my 82FL.
 I just had a tire blowout (right rear outer).  The local shop did not have the same tire, so I had it replaced with my spare (I have no spare now.)
 Searching the web, I can only find Firestone Transforce HT tire, same size, but different load range, E.  $121/each + installation.
 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Firestone&model=Transforce+HT&partnum=875R65THT&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D875R65THT

Is this a good replacement tire?  Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks,

Sam

Generator Starting Issue
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103958
I was out to exercise my rig which due to illness had been idle for a month. We were driving down the road and had the generator running.
The generator worked fine for an hour or more. We then shutdown the engine and generator for another hour we could not get the generator running. It would turn over and catch but never get up enough RPM to keep running. I thought maybe there was a fuel issue. After we had run the coach engine for a few minutes we were able to get the generator started. All this was starting with a full fuel tank, and the tank never got below 3/4, the temperatures in the mid 90's.

Later when I filled the fuel tank I found there was a significant vacuum in the tank (big whoosh when opening the tank cap). We had been up and down a couple thousand feet in our travels but I do not know if that was a factor.

If I find this starting issue again I am going to try loosening the gas tank cap to see if it resolves the starting problem.

Has anyone else seen anything like this problem?

Safe travels,

Dave N 2000 RB Albuquerque

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Firestone Transforce HT tires?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103960
Sam, I would stick with the Load range E and at the price you mentioned that is not bad. Also keep the air up by checking when cold as to the psi they recommend due to your weight range. Tires that are not up to load specs and low on air in the heat of summer can be dangerous. Take care, john leach, Prescott, Az.

__

Re: Generator Starting Issue
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103961
Dave, I believe your tank will build up pressure as this is standard to help move the flow of the fuel. You releasing the cap was the pressure not vacuum. Consider your batteries also, as the generator should start on the coach batteries. Is the gen. turning over fast enough? Do you have a altitude adjustment on the gen. or would this have been an issue. How old is your fuel pump and gas filter. Is your spark plug new.  Make sure there are no possible air leaks in the fuel line connectors. Remember there is one atop the tank also. The fact that you ran the rig engine for awhile and the gen. started may be related to the batteries being charged by the engine,  helping boost the coach batteries. Some things to think about. Tke care, john leach, Prescott, Az.

__

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103967
All recent LDs require load range 'F' tires. But since you have an '82, Sam, your rig might be OK on 'E' tires--some of the older chassis specified those. If you have your owner's manual, it should say. The "weights-and-measures" sticker inside your driver's-side cab door (if you have one) may say. If not, call the LD factory and ask. My guess is that 'E' tires will be adequate on your older rig, but this is not something you want to take chances with.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103968
"I believe your tank will build up pressure as this is standard to help move the flow of the fuel. You releasing the cap was the pressure not vacuum."
 I wonder about that, John. Seems to me an engineer like Dave would have noticed the difference between air sucking in and fumes blowing out, especially since the latter would have make quiet a stink.
 I'm no mechanic, but I've seen a lot of reports linking "whoosh" noises when the gas cap is opened to the EVAP system, which is intended to prevent fuel vapors from reaching the outside air. This article has more info:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm>

Key sentence:
 "If a blockage occurs in the liquid-vapor separator or in the vent line between it and the EVAP canister, the fuel tank will not be able to breathe properly. Symptoms include fuel starvation or a collapsed fuel tank on vehicles with solid-type gas caps. If you notice a whoosh of pressure in or out of the tank when the gas gap is removed, suspect poor venting."
 The symptoms Dave described fit the fuel-starvation scenario, so it sounds as if problems with the EVAP system should at least be looked into.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103970
>

My owners manual for my 22' 1986 FLspecifies a "D" rating.
Will using an "E" rated tire be overkill for my rig? Will it give me a much rougher ride?

Ellen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103973
All recent LDs require load range 'F' tires. But since you have an '82, Sam, your rig might be OK on 'E' tires--some of the older chassis specified those. If you have your owner's manual, it should say. The "weights-and-measures" sticker inside your driver's-side cab door (if you have one) may say. If not, call the LD factory and ask. My guess is that 'E' tires will be adequate on your older rig, but this is not something you want to take chances with.

Andy,
 Our 06 MB came from the factory with "E" range tires not "F" range tires. If "F" range tires are now standard, it was after 06.

Bill Pratt
NE 59

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103978
Thanks for the link Andy.
 I certainly didn't smell anything when I took the cap off but its and old nose...
 Interestingly the link does not indicate either pressure or vacuum in the tank.  The label suggests it could be either.  I'll have to check with the Ford folks.

Safe travels, Dave

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 103981
Andy,
 When did they go to load range F?  I thought they were all load range E these days.  My 2000 MB has load range E and I can't even seem to find any load range F tires in my size.  225 75 R16.

Rich Gort 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 103983

Andy,
 "When did they go to load range F?  I thought they were all load range E these days."
Rich

Awww Rich, you gotta cut Andy some slack, he's probably been sipping that New Mexico cool-aid again. ;-)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 103989
All recent LDs require load range 'F' tires. But since you have an '82, Sam, your rig might be OK on 'E' tires--some of the older chassis specified those.
Thanks Andy.  I am not sure I want load range F, that would be at least 90psi.  I going to get by with 60 to 80 psi.
 Anyway, LD specified load range D for my older (much older) 82.  The problem is that load range D is hard to find.  I think I will go with two Es for my front tires and keep the Ds for my rears.  Is that a wise choice?

Sam

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 103990

My owners manual for my 22' 1986 FLspecifies a "D" rating.
Will using an "E" rated tire be overkill for my rig? Will it give me a much rougher ride?
Ellen,
 I'm not an expert, but I think it will be ok.  Load range E allows you to pump your tires up to around 80psi (60psi for D).  If you don't carry that much weight, you can use lower pressure.

Sam

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 103994
Sam, I would stick with the Load range E and at the price you mentioned that is not bad. Also keep the air up by checking when cold as to the psi they recommend due to your weight range. Tires that are not up to load specs and low on air in the heat of summer can be dangerous. Take care, john leach, Prescott, Az.
Thanks John.  My tires' pressure were ok.  I think I ran over some debris on the highway.  I am quite positive it had nothing to do with the pressure nor the age of the tire.

Sam

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 103996
"Our '06 MB came from the factory with 'E' range tires not 'F' range tires."
 Oh, jeez--what was I thinking? Sorry, folks... I meant to say that some older rigs used "D" tires, but newer ones use "E."

Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 103998
hey Sam.. On our 85 FL we are driving with Cooper tires, I believe are available at Pep Boys. Same size as yours. This does have me a bit worried thou as im thinking they are going to be phasing out this size tire since they have switched the rim size down to 16 inch. Then what are we gonna do?? Regards John O

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 104001
You are right Andy. I don't know why I thought Dave's rig was in the pre OBD era but it is a 2000. In all my experience I have never had a vacuum sensation opening a gas cap. It has been pressure releasing. I know when you replace your fuel filter they warn you about releasing pressure before releasing the clamps and hoses.  When I was having trouble with the gen in our rig I was losing pressure in the tank due to an air link. I read the article you referred to and agree with it 100 percent. I hope Dave gets his diagnosed soon as I am curious about the cause. An old mechanic use to always tell me...." I can't fix it going down the road. I have to see it." It was interesting to read about the gentleman who had the same air leak atop his tank as I did. Sorry about the mix up. See you soon, John

__

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 104002
hey Sam.. On our 85 FL we are driving with Cooper tires, I believe are available at Pep Boys. Same size as yours. This does have me a bit worried thou as im thinking they are going to be phasing out this size tire since they have switched the rim size down to 16 inch. Then what are we gonna do?? Regards John O in the ol 85'.
Hey John.  Thanks for the info on Cooper/PepBoys.  I'm in Tijuana now, I will keep an eye out for the tires.  There are plenty of city buses built on the 80s Chevrolet G30 chassis, so there might be hope.
 I don't think we will have problem finding 16.5 tires.  We might have to go with E load range, pay a little more, and wait for a few days before the tires arrive.  Worst case scenario, we would have to switch both tire and rim down to 16 or up to 17.

Sam

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 104051
I have a 1985 22fl Lazy Daze Chevy G30 that had 8.75R16.5 tires when I bought it 3 years ago. I changed it over to LT 225/75R16 tires and 16" wheels a couple of years ago. 1988 - 2000 GMC Chevy dually wheels will fit as long as they are 16 x 6" and not 16 x 6.5". You can sometimes find the wheels on ebay. Most ebay auctions will only have 4 wheels because the seller only replaces the front and outer rear duals with aluminum wheels on their vehicle. You'll end up with 8 wheels from two different auctions like I did. Most tire shops don't carry the 16.5 tires anymore and that's why I did the swap. I had to buy new stainless steel wheel covers because the 16.5" old wheel covers didn't fit the 16" wheels. I bought new wheel covers on ebay for only $109 and they fit both 16" and 16.5" wheels. The 8.75R16.5 tires and the 225/75r16 tires are the same size so they fit perfect.

Billy J. Brower 1985 22FL diesel Lazy Daze

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 104053
Quote from: Billy & Gwen"

I have a 1985 22fl Lazy Daze Chevy G30 that had 8.75R16.5 tires when I bought it 3 years ago. I changed it over to LT 225/75R16 tires ...
Billy, it's Sam again.  I just did a quick calculation on the width of the tires.  875 * 2.54 = 222.5 which is just a hair narrower than 225.  I'm sure that even at 225, the tires don't touch each other at the rear dual, but I'm worried of the narrower gap between them.  Would small rocks tend to get stuck there more often?  What has been your experience in the last two years?

Thanks,

Sam