Skip to main content
Topic: What electrical use can I expect in the evening? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
What electrical use can I expect in the evening?
Yahoo Message Number: 103921
I plan to buy the LD Kodiak 32' unit this fall and will start RVing FT.
The electrical setup is: 4 T-145 six volt batteries with 520 AH of power.  300 watts of solar power and a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter.
 What might be the typical electrical usage I would have in the evening while dry camping.   Could I watch satelite TV for three hours and then spend two hours on the internet?  Also use 10 minutes of microwave time?  Assuming minimal use of interior lighting.  Just trying to get an idea of how evenings might go.

Re: What electrical use can I expect in the evening?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103922
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:05 PM
 Subject: [LD] What electrical use can I expect in the evening?

What might be the typical electrical usage I would have in the evening while dry camping. Could I watch satelite TV for three hours and then spend two hours on the internet? Also use 10 minutes of microwave time? Assuming minimal use of interior lighting. Just trying to get an idea of how evenings might go.

I have a similar, but somewhat smaller system in Yonder, 450 AH batteries and 400 watts solar.
 All electical usage during the day is quickly replenished by the solar panels. In the evening, with sat TV, computer, some microwave , we'll use anywhere from about 90 AH to 120 AH capacity.
 The microwave is the big "offender", using 170 amps while it is running. But as you suggest, it isn't typically used for all that long. A minute to re-heat coffee etc.

bumper Yonder Minden, NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103923
I plan to buy the LD Kodiak 32' unit this fall and will start RVing
FT.

The electrical setup is: 4 T-145 six volt batteries with 520 AH of
power. 300 watts of solar power and a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter.
==============
 Bill: You probably can't see that I'm using the Beta rich text and these words are printed in bright green, as in green with envy.

We wish you God Speed in this magnificent vehicle; you take our yearnings along with you on your journey.

We know you will have a number of great adventures and ask that you continue to post so that we can "ride along with you."
 P.C. Why worry about inverter times? You have a genset to maximize your heaviest wattage desires.

Anne Johnson

Lovely La Verne, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103924
"I plan to buy the LD Kodiak 32' unit this fall and will start RVing FT."

Congratulations--it's a wonderful rig for the purpose!
 "Could I watch satellite TV for three hours and then spend two hours on the internet?"
 Yes, that's quite reasonable, assuming you're using a laptop computer. Heck, I can do that with my 24" iMac. (I also have 520 Ah of battery capacity in my upgraded Midbath.)

"Also use 10 minutes of microwave time?"

Yes, that would use about 10% of your battery capacity.

"Assuming minimal use of interior lighting."
 Interior lighting is a relatively minor power drain. The TV, satellite receiver, and computer use more power; the microwave oven uses the most--but only in short bursts. (The air conditioner is on a par with the microwave oven, but it isn't practical to power the A/C from batteries--they'll only last twenty minutes or so. I know, because I've made the experiment.)

"Just trying to get an idea of how evenings might go."
 I think you'll be fine as far as battery capacity is concerned. Depending on how important it is to you to be able to boondock without running your generator--that is, how much you want to be able to get by on solar power alone--you may want to add more panels later. Fortunately, you have plenty of roof space for that!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103925
That electrical setup is to put it bluntly, the total bomb.  It's really  a killer setup.  I think you won't have any issues whatsoever.  The only thing you may want to consider is using the generator for the microwave usage.
Other than that, you could probably leave all your lights on and watch TV, and use your computer, for 3-4 hours and still have juice to spare.  I have 2 Trojan T105,s, with a 115 W solar panel, and I've never even come close to depleting my batteries in a night.  And I run a pretty power hungry flat screen TV, with a DVD player all going through a 500 watt amplifier, with 4 speakers and a 10" subwoofer.  Not to say that I am rocking it out on extremely high volumes at night, but it still burns some juice.  I think you'll be just fine.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103926
wrote: I plan to buy the LD Kodiak 32' unit this fall and will start RVing FT.
--- Bill, have you already ordered the LD on the Kodiak chassis?  I'm curious as to the status of this chassis at the Lazy Daze factory; as far as I know, GM will stop poduction of Kodiak on July 31st.  I saw the prototype a few months agao, but didn't ask how many, if any, additional chassis (and their model years; I think the prototype is on a 2005 chassis?) were already on the lot, or if Steve ordered additional chassis to beat the deadline. Any information on this?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103932
Hi Joan, The Factory bought 3 Kodiak chassis at the same time.
I would expect that "3" will be the total run for the 32 foot model.
If one waits, they run the risk of missing the Kodiak series.
Unfortunate luck to have the 32 footer on a discontinued chassis with chassis that are model years old.

Terry Tanner

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103933
"Terry Tanner"  wrote:

The Factory bought 3 Kodiak chassis at the same time.
Unfortunate luck to have the 32 footer on a discontinued chassis with chassis that are model years old.
--- Thanks, Terry; all three Kodiak chassis are the 2005 model year, right?  And, yes, it is indeed bad luck; I know how hard (and how long Steve worked on the design and engineering. :-(

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103936
"I would expect that '3' will be the total run for the 32 foot model."
 That may be. Still, if I were in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one (though I'd insist on new tires). First, it's safe to assume that the factory will stand behind the Kodiak coaches with their "original owner's lifetime" warranty, as they have done with all their RVs for 53 years.
 Second, as with all Lazy Dazes, all the appliances are standard... so if the furnace/toilet/water heater/stove/fridge/air conditioner/etc. should start acting up somewhere down the road, any RV repair place will be able to fix it.
 And third, the Kodiak chassis has been widely used for both RVs and trucks of all sorts. I believe the current van-cab model has been essentially unchanged since 2005, so it's a safe bet that there are plenty of parts available, and plenty of mechanics who know how to service these chassis.
 As Dan said, the Kodiak LD model is loaded with power, and has just about every imaginable option (except automatic levelers, which can be added later) as a standard feature... plus Lazy Daze's unmatched quality. These coaches will be dream-come-true rigs for whoever buys them. Actually, I'm surprised Kate hasn't signed up for one already. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103964
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:05:56 -0000, "" wrote:

I plan to buy the LD Kodiak 32' unit this fall and will start RVing FT.
Congratulations! We really wanted it, but it's a little large for the camping we do. And this other thing our new budget....
 I will agree with the others that have responded to your question. You will be fine, with this qualification, if you are parking in the western states with a clear view of the sky most of the day.

Since you will be full-timing, seasons and where you are will be factors.
 If you were to park in Idaho in the early spring or fall, the panels would not put you back to 100%. You would have to add a panel or raise them to better track the sun. Unless things have changed Lazy Daze does not use tiltable panels.

Parked facing west in central Utah at 5:30 with 10amps coming in.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Replacement for the Kodiak?
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 104062
"Hi Joan, The Factory bought 3 Kodiak chassis at the same time.
Unfortunate luck to have the 32 footer on a discontinued chassis with chassis that are model years old."

Terry Tanner
Is there any other truck/chassis combo that could or will replace the Kodiak?  Seems a shame to let this project shut down.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 104065
International Freightliner Hino (Toyota Heavy Duty) All of these come to mind immediately, however most are only available in diesel.

Ken Sann
Wannabe

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 104066
Is there any other truck/chassis combo that could or will replace the Kodiak?  Seems a shame to let this project shut down.

Chris
Dynamax builds what they call a Class C on a Freightliner M2 chassis.
The Dynaquest is very luxurious and probably really expensive compared to the Kodiak chassis LD used.
 http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/products.php 
Jay
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 104067
"Is there any other truck/chassis combo that could or will replace the Kodiak? Seems a shame to let this      project shut down."

Chris

It's not the end of the world.
There will continue to be a need for medium-duty trucks, someone will make and sell them.

Ford has the F-650-750 chassis cab that is similar to the Kodiak.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2009/vs_pdf/09_F650_750_PRINT%5B1%5D-indd.pdf> Or
http://tinyurl.com/njpj3x> I wonder how secure Ford's truck production is?
 If LD is serious about continuing production of the 32' model, Steve might want to get rid of the bare 2005 Kodiaks and start over with a fresh chassis that is still in production.
Without a very substantial discount, I would not want a chassis that had been sitting four years, especially a chassis that is out of production and whose manufacturer has gone bankrupt.
I would worry about long-term availability of repair parts and warranty service.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze