Skip to main content
Topic: Wall Covering (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Wall Covering
Yahoo Message Number: 103903
The previous owners of my LD have wall papered a few of the walls over the dark paneling. This has started to come lose in various places.
I would like to replace the wall paper, but I'm not quite sure how to approach this.
The thought of soaking the walls to remove the paper doesn't sound like a good idea:( Has anyone else in the group tackled such a project? Any ideas are sincerely welcome:)

Thanks

Ellen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Wall Covering
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103905
"The previous owners of my LD have wall papered a few of the walls over the dark paneling. This has started to come lose in various places."
 Aw, heck, Ellen--just cover the walls with Eternabond! You know how well that works.(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
 Hey, did you ever get those rolls of new Eternabond they said they were sending? Any more on what they think might have gone wrong?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103906
...I would like to replace the wall paper, but I'm not quite sure how to approach this.
The thought of soaking the walls to remove the paper doesn't sound like a good idea:(
The exact strategy for removal would depend on what was used to adhere the wall covering to the paneling.  If it's not outright strippable, it's probably water-soluble, but you don't have to soak the wall.  Grab one of the loose corners and get behind it with a sponge that's wet but just short of dripping. Pull gently and press the sponge to soak the crevice between the paper and the wall. Work from the top down if possible. A plastic putty knife or other edge for scraping might be handy.  have rags handy for wiping up the mess.
 Once you have the paper off, you can just paint with a good primer (I like KILZ2) and any household paint.

Joanne in Boston NE-44

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103915
wall covering to the paneling.>>

Thanks Joanne... We will see how it goes.

Ellen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103916
that works.(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
 Hey, did you ever get those rolls of new Eternabond they said they were sending? Any more on what they think might have gone wrong?

Andy Baird>>

:-D Now that an idea... Lol

Yup... I received replacement rolls from EternaBond

We used a heat gun and pliers to remove the defective product.
What a mess:( Then it was wiped down with Acetone. So far so good...
It appears to be sticking this time around.

I have cut chunks from the old stuff that didn't stick and will be forwarding it to the company. The product definitely seems to be defective.
Sections of the EternaBond that didn't stick, had no sticky ness to it at all.
 Andy... As for the tiles in the kitchen area, I washed the glue side with a 91% Alcohol. Then I applied it again with LiquidNails... So far it is a go ;-)

Ellen