Skip to main content
Topic: Good Sam Extended Service Plan (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Good Sam Extended Service Plan
Yahoo Message Number: 103878
Any opinions, good bad or ugly? Got an offer from them in the mail today.
Our 2006 Ford Warranty expired on April Fools Day! Had a bee stuck in our MAF sensor, coach went into "limp in mode," at Ashland; Ford dealer there charged $90 to spray some choke cleaner and dislodge the bug.
Just wondering if Good Sam is worth it's salt, or should I just put my money in a break down fund and spend it if I need it? Thanks, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

Re: Good Sam Extended Service Plan
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103880
I've not had their ESP plan, but have had the road side assistance for about 4 years now, and all my experiences have been very positive.  Try to find some online reviews though, because there can be huge differences in ESP plans, and you definitely don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that's a complete pain to use.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103881
None of the people I've heard who have had extended plans had a single good word to say about them.

I consider them a scam.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103882
Any opinions, good bad or ugly? Got an offer from them in the mail today.
Our 2006 Ford Warranty expired on April Fools Day! Had a bee stuck in our MAF sensor, coach went into "limp in mode," at Ashland; Ford dealer there charged $90 to spray some choke cleaner and dislodge the bug.
Just wondering if Good Sam is worth it's salt, or should I just put my money in a break down fund and spend it if I need it?
My general feeling on extended warranties is if you can afford to cover a failure, then you are better off saving your money.  These companies offer them because they make money on them.  On average, they pay out less to each subscriber than is payed in.  They have the failure rate statistics on their side (or they can't stay in business).  Basically you are gambling that you will be unlucky if you subscribe.  If you do plan to buy into one, be sure to CAREFULLY read all the conditions and exclusions first.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103884
older_fossil  wrote: My general feeling on extended warranties is if you can afford to cover a failure, then you are better off saving your money.  These companies offer them because they make money on them.  On average, they pay out less to each subscriber than is payed in.  ....If you do plan to buy into one, be sure to CAREFULLY read all the conditions and exclusions first.
--- I agree with Art's POVs, and suggest making regular contributions into your own "self-insurance" maintenance and repair fund. YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103888
I had looked at them after a friend purchased SOB and were offered the option to purchase.
 I found they were more "exclusionary" and definitely a "service plan", not a warranty (as friend was led to believe).  If you look at it on the Good Sam website, you'll see what little they actually cover, plus they require you to have the vehicle serviced at "severe service" intervals or they can deny a claim (regardless of whether the oil change has anything to do with the roof air problem).
 I would offer bad to ugly as an opinion (never mind Affinity Group's current financial issues).

Michelle former LD owner

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103889
"...never mind Affinity Group's current financial issues"
 Actually, that's a good point, Michelle. In the consumer electronics industry, at least, companies are notorious for selling a bunch of extended warranties for a couple of years and then going out of business, leaving consumers holding the bag.
 Now, I don't believe Good Sam would do this *on purpose*... but things might just work out that way if Affinity Group goes under, which is a distinct possibility. At this point I don't think I'd want to run the risk of dealing with Good Sam. There are plenty of alternatives, such as the highly rated CoachNet for road service.
 As for extended warranties, I agree with what's been said here: they're generally a losing proposition for the consumer. The general rule of thumb in the industry is that for every dollar they make selling an extended warranty, they pay out 10 cents in claims and keep 90 cents profit.
 That's why salespeople push extended warranties so hard: they are the single most profitable item in many transactions. That's a good reason for consumers to steer clear of them.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Is this a LD in Mexico ?
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103893
This is a RV park in San Miguel de Allende Mexico

is the second from right RV a LD ?
Probably '82 to '84, and definitely a front lounge.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103895
Thanks for the input folks.
Now that we are retired and trying to cut back on expenses, I thought this kind of service plan would make sense. I get most of my service work done by Ford at a truck center they run near where I live. A $49.95 oil change is nice, but shop rates are right near $90 bucks an hour plus parts.
And that doesn't cover the house air, furnace, etc. I wish the factory (LD) offered an extended warranty on the coach parts! Oh well, after reading your replies I chucked the offer in the recycle bin.
Now I guess I'm the warranty plan for everything! I'll miss having Vince holding my hand. (g) Thanks again, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 103900
Probably '82 to '84, and definitely a front lounge.
It's not an 82.  The Lazy Daze front logo on 82 used much smaller (shorter), and simplier lettering.

Sam

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 103904
"Looks like a '85 RB or front lounge to me."
 I'll go along with the year; it looks like my '85. From the window layout, it could be either a 22' front lounge or a 22' front dinette--essentially the same floorplan with either barrel chairs or a dinette. Both the FL and FD models had rear baths, but as far as I know, neither was officially called a "rear bath" coach; that designation was reserved for 26.5' models.

Andy Baird

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 103908
"Looks like a '85 RB or front lounge to me."
 I'll go along with the year; it looks like my '85. From the window layout, it could be either a 22' front lounge or a 22' front dinette--essentially the same floorplan with either barrel chairs or a dinette. Both the FL and FD models had rear baths, but as far as I know, neither was officially called a "rear bath" coach; that designation was reserved for 26.5' models.

Andy Baird
I don't think the front dinette was available until much later than '85. Also, difficult to tell from the photo, but it appears to me the window frame is 'silver', not black, and I believe the '85 had the black trim? The grille is different from our '83, so maybe an '84?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 103917
"I don't think the front dinette was available until much later than '85."
 You may be right, Steve; our model year changes file doesn't show that detail. It does say that dark anodized window frames were introduced in 1984, so perhaps this is an '83 or early '84...?

Andy Baird